Author Topic: Touch  (Read 6114 times)

Offline Bud2

Touch
« on: December 30, 2018, 12:31:39 PM »
A couple of friends with a Genos have asked me if there is a way to turn the "touch" off so it will stay off rather than keep going back to a setting that is saved in third party registrations. I have looked and I can't see a way to do it as there is no provision in Parameter Lock. I am fairly sure you could do it on the Tyros range. It would be something they could do if Yamaha are going to do another software update. Thanks in advance.
Bill
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 06:09:17 PM by Bud2 »

Offline EileenL

Re: Touch
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 02:10:37 PM »
Hi Bill
 I think most of us use touch to give us expression in our playing. The only thing you would not use it on is organs as a swell pedal is best for them. You can removed the ticks from the boxes to take it off but you then need to re-save it to the registration.

Offline Bud2

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 06:08:07 PM »
Hi Eileen, thanks for your reply I know this but the two friends say they want the "Touch" off like they could on their Tyros, I don't know if I am remembering correctly but I am prety sure you could just turn the "touch button" off and that was it, why you can't do it on the Genos I don't understand, as I said in my first post "surely it would be easy to add it to the "parameter lock" for Yamaha. Well at least I now know it can't be done and it's not just me missing how to do it.  ;)
Bill

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 05:26:29 PM »
I suppose this is just one of the problems with third party registrations. You have to redo them the way you want them in many cases.

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 05:57:26 PM »
Hi Eileen, thanks for your reply I know this but the two friends say they want the "Touch" off like they could on their Tyros, I don't know if I am remembering correctly but I am prety sure you could just turn the "touch button" off and that was it, why you can't do it on the Genos I don't understand, as I said in my first post "surely it would be easy to add it to the "parameter lock" for Yamaha. Well at least I now know it can't be done and it's not just me missing how to do it.

Yes, the Tyros had a Touch button, which Genos does not. But you would have thought you could assign it to one of the Assignable Buttons, but it's not there. Definitely an oversight on Yamaha's part.

And, Yamaha really needs to learn the benefits of alphabetical order.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Bud2

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 06:23:59 PM »
Thanks for that Fred, I thought I was right about the button and yes surely it would not be much for Yamaha to fix this in an update, after all look what Korg have done to their top of the line keyboard, they did a whole new version update with absolutely no charge to the owners at all and they also got some FREE styles as well. The other thing they do is regulary give them FREE styles.  ;D
Bill

Offline murrayb

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 07:52:34 PM »
Bill:

You can use my program YRM to edit those registrations and set Touch to either on/off.  Touch setting is in the middle of the Edit screen just above Multipads.  The setting can also be duplicated to other buttons or banks in batch.

Fred's right, it would be nice if Yamaha added this to the list of Assignable Buttons.

Murray
One can do without most things, but not without the pleasure of music.

Check out my Registration Manager at:  http://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 12:57:18 PM »
From Fred
And, Yamaha really needs to learn the benefits of alphabetical order.

Here, here!! I agree!! How can they mess something up that is SO simple and essential to usability. This is the problem with the brilliant people who design our keyboards: how can they can be so stupid at the same time??!!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Bud2

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 07:42:25 PM »
The thing is the touch button has been on all the Tyros range ? am I right, if I am why take it away after all this time.  ???
Bill

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 07:55:00 PM »
Long live the Tyros! Why did they remove it!?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 11:07:39 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

whataguy

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 08:05:13 PM »
Could it be that 'Designers' are designers and 'Players' are players? You'd  think they could just write a little 'fix' to correct this 'oops' and those of us organ playing expression pedal players would not have to complain. It may not be no big deal to designers but it does make a difference to players!  Just sayin' . . . Don in MI

Bachus

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 08:48:53 PM »
The thing is the touch button has been on all the Tyros range ? am I right, if I am why take it away after all this time.  ???
Bill

Thats because with the Genos they created a more clean interface...

They where replaced by 6 assignable buttons, i think thats a great idea..
(But i also can name a few dozen functions missing on these assignable buttons)

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 09:39:55 PM »
Don has provided the best answer.

The guys and gals that design the big jumbo jets can make those planes do amazing things, and also make them reliable and safe. BUT, just ask the mechanics who have to work on them!!! Designers and engineers seem to have very little training in human factors - the very things that make it easier for humans to use.

There is a striking resemblance between a Yamaha engineer and a doctor. The Yamaha engineer can make the keyboard do almost anything but can't see through the basic human needs. A doctor goes to school and learns all about diseases and the many drugs that are at his or her disposal by Big Pharma. Problem is, a doctor STILL knows nothing about nutrition and preventative medicine. The message: we are so involved with the complex design of things today that we have all become slaves to technology, and yet the very basic and simple things are always overlooked. Why?
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

whataguy

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 10:37:22 PM »
AHA, so I am not alone in this Genos universe. I bet these designers (if they do play) will play a full right hand chord when using a sax or trumpet voice. Oh My! Don in MI

Offline mikf

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 12:08:16 AM »
The Yamaha design team includes some very talented players, and I am sure they lead the technical guys on player needs. I dont think this omission is because the designers don’t understand player needs, but either a simple oversight by everyone or because the guys who do play thought that no-one turns off the touch sensitivity. To tell you the truth, I am a bit surprised myself that anyone would want to do that except in the case mentioned by a Eileen.
Mike

Bachus

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2019, 10:29:08 AM »
The Yamaha design team includes some very talented players, and I am sure they lead the technical guys on player needs. I dont think this omission is because the designers don’t understand player needs, but either a simple oversight by everyone or because the guys who do play thought that no-one turns off the touch sensitivity. To tell you the truth, I am a bit surprised myself that anyone would want to do that except in the case mentioned by a Eileen.
Mike

Any traditional organ player wants to switch touch ens off, they played for 30 years witouth it relying on the pedal for volume changes...  i been there and its not an easy transfer..  it requires relearning to play pretty much, i guess at a certain age thats not worth the effort..

But can’ you set this for a programmable button to do, as i suggested earlier, have to look it up when i get home... and if not, it needs to be added to the list.. 

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 01:49:46 PM »
I have no objection to having a button if some think it is really necessary for a valid reason, but I don't see the relevance for organ voices, since they already come free of touch by default. It is set in Voice Editor/ Touch Sensitivility by choice of parameters usually low Depth and a high Offset, do-able (or undo-able ;)) by anyone if it is not satisfactory.

John
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 02:11:10 PM by jwyvern »