Author Topic: Genos registration numbers fading away !!!!!!  (Read 34130 times)

Offline Al Ram

Genos registration numbers fading away !!!!!!
« on: December 30, 2018, 05:19:45 AM »
Hello Friends

I just noticed that some numbers on the registration buttons are fading away, specially numbers from 1 to 4.   It is not even a year !    anyway . . . . anyone noticing the same ?  I do not know why.   i guess mostly use . . . . i always have my hands clean when playing, so, it is not because of dirt or sweat or anything like that.   

Is there an easy way to replace them ?  I do not use the OTS buttons and the numbers on those are pretty good.   would it be easy to exchange them ?    Only problem is that eventually those numbers will also fade away  . . . .

Any way to re-paint them ?

Any suggestions/Comments are appreciated.

thanks in advance.

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

beykock

Re: Genos registration numbers fading away !!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 06:09:18 AM »
Never heard this defect ever before. 😱
Cleaning problem maybe ?

IMO you have to contact your Yamaha dealer and replacement should be done free of charge ( if warranty ).

Good luck !
Babette
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 06:34:58 AM by beykock »

Tankdave

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 10:11:14 AM »
Any chance of a picture?

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 11:27:34 AM »
Had my Genos for over a year and my buttons are still like new. How do you clean them. All that is needed is a dampened cloth in plain water and a micro fiber cloth to polish.

Tankdave

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 11:59:53 AM »
Maybe it's a build up of "dirt" over time on the most used buttons? 

NB. Not saying you are dirty but are hands can get greasy etc.

Offline Bud2

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 12:39:10 PM »
I use my Registration buttons a lot also and I have had my Genos over a year now and I can't see any difference from when it was new. I can only suggest you have faulty buttons. I only hoover any dust off and wipe the screen with barely a damp cloth.
Bill

Bachus

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 02:32:13 PM »
Som peoples sweat is like toxics, combined with lots of preasure its a killer

Offline zionip

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 05:26:19 PM »
Hello Friends

I just noticed that some numbers on the registration buttons are fading away, specially numbers from 1 to 4.   It is not even a year !    anyway . . . . anyone noticing the same ?  I do not know why.   i guess mostly use . . . . i always have my hands clean when playing, so, it is not because of dirt or sweat or anything like that.   

Is there an easy way to replace them ?  I do not use the OTS buttons and the numbers on those are pretty good.   would it be easy to exchange them ?    Only problem is that eventually those numbers will also fade away  . . . .

Any way to re-paint them ?

Any suggestions/Comments are appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Hi Al,

I am sorry to hear that the printed numbers of the most frequently used registration buttons of your Genos are fading away.

The cheapest and easiest remedy - you can use a Brother P-touch label maker with black on clear tape to print out the faded numbers 1 to 4, cut them to fit on the buttons, and stick / superimpose on top of the buttons. 

I use this method to label configurable buttons / sliders for some of my keyboards / MIDI controller surfaces for applications like vArranger, Sunday Keys 1.4 and Worship Essentials 2 ( MainStage 3 worship templates ). 

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 05:52:06 PM »
Thanks all for your quick and very good responses.

I got a couple of good ideas.

To start with, i already emailed the USA dealer I purchased Genos from, explained the problem and asked his help with the warranty.     The keyboard was delivered to me on 12/27/2017 but did not start using it until January 2018.  So, hopefully the warranty is still good.

The idea to use a label maker is also good.  I can do that as a last resource.  I guess would have to do that from time to time because those will also fade away eventually.

It seems that no-one else is experiencing this problem.  Not sure why this is happening here.   I always play with clean hands and ceretainly no grease on my hands.   I gently clean the Genos with a dry soft cloth. (the type used for a car).

Per request, I am attaching a couple of pics.

Will keep you informed of results.

thanks again.

[attachment deleted by admin]
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

beykock

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 06:55:15 PM »
Warranty is not a problem here.
Your keyboard is only one year old.

To keep your warranty I should not open my Genos if I were you.

Now it is up to Yamaha to help you out, free of charge.

I wonder if all reg buttons do not need to be replaced ?

It would be great if your dealer offers you an other arranger Yamaha keyboard during the repair of your Genos.

Cross my fingers.😏

Wish you a Happy New Year.

Keep smiling, Babette

« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 07:08:39 PM by beykock »

Roland

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 07:30:48 PM »
I like the way Yamaha did the button printing on Tyros 3 for example. The print is not on top of the button, but underneath it. The button itself is just clear plastic and you can see through. This way, you can "abuse" those buttons as much as you want, but the "print" simply cannot deteriorate. Maybe a suggestion for a future version of Genos :-)

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 08:42:25 PM »
Hi
The most sensible answer would be as i have worked out.
I have looked at my buttons and it looks as though the buttons are printed on and protected somehow
This suggests to me that the coating over the print is defective.
They must do it with heat or something when they make the moulding so it is unscratchable.
Still a defective set of buttons which I am sure Yamaha will replace for free
I cannot rub the numbers off my cheap computer keyboard . You would expect better from £$,5000 Genos monster ;D ::)
Look at the back and make sure it was not made in Calcutta!! >:( ;D

All the best
John 8)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 08:44:42 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

beykock

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 11:11:35 AM »
Hi John,

Is the unit Genos price of $5000 still valid ?
It looks like the present price has been decreased, right ?

Happy New Year !

Babette
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 11:13:43 AM by beykock »

Bachus

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 11:22:00 AM »
Hi John,

Is the unit Genos price of $5000 still valid ?
It looks like the present price has been decreased, right ?

Happy New Year !

Babette

Overhere in Holland you can find them as low as €3500 after some bargaining..
Official price has not changed however.. 
but you can find online prices as low as 3799

Offline EileenL

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 05:39:23 PM »
I don't think anyone has paid the book price for Genos and some of us got very good deals that bought the first ones.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 07:15:10 PM »
The $5K is the MSRP.  Most people did not paid that price but got better pricing from good dealers.

I contacted my dealer about the registration buttons problem (numbers fading away) he said i need to contact Yamaha directly to start the warranty process. 

I called yesterday but Yamaha was on vacation.  Will try again tomorrow Wednesday 

Yes. i liked the T4 and T5 registration buttons where the number was inside.

thank you all.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Toril S

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 08:26:07 PM »
The dealer is the one who shall contact Yamaha for you. That was a very strange answer, and he is not correct.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Bachus

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 08:36:03 PM »
The dealer is the one who shall contact Yamaha for you. That was a very strange answer, and he is not correct.

Thats where buying local comes in..
Support.. support... Support

Offline Toril S

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2019, 08:58:04 PM »
Yes! I try to avoid buying over the net. But I am so lucky as to have a fine music store in Trondheim where I live😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2019, 09:06:02 PM »

That is what i thought !!! I agree i found the answer strange.  I sent an email to the dealer explaining the problem. He responded via email indicating that i should contact Yamaha. He did not even provide me with a phone number.

I have not mentioned the name of the dealer because it is a very reputable USA dealer very well known to people in this forum and recommended here many times.  In fact I got the name from here and have purchased more than one keyboard from him.   

Maybe that is the way it works in USA.   I will contact Yamaha tomorrow and start from there.

thanks   
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

beykock

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2019, 09:29:31 PM »
It must have been a painful " dealer service " experience for you. 😰

Since it looks to be a warranty case it is much better to contact Yamaha USA directly, IMO.

Good luck.

Babette

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 01:17:57 AM »
One of the things I didn't like on the Genos (and even wrote that on my opinion on the German online seller Web months ago) was the labelling of the buttons. I was worried about their durability. If you see them with angled lighting and a magnifying glass, you will see that there is no protection layer, it is just the paint over the plastic. That is not a durable solution and, even if now we know of only one case, I am afraid we will get more labelling fade cases over the time.

I really hope I am wrong!

Jose
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Plus lots other music toys :-)

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 02:59:30 AM »
I bought a 2018 Honda Odyssey a year or so ago. There are several examples of where Honda has "cheaped out" on the quality, all in the name of profit.

Sadly, it seems Yamaha has begun to follow suit. When I first opened my Genos, there was a major blemish on the main deck. Not long ago, we would NEVER see this kind of workmanship from a Japanese product. Looks like the Japs have adopted some of the more questionable business models of the West. For proof, I give you the button design of the Tyros series versus Genos, as Roland points out. You can hit the Tyros buttons with a hammer and do no damage. Genos? Hmm? Let's hope this is an isolated case.

Al, I don't care how good your U.S. dealer is. It's his or her job to step up to the plate on warrantee and not slough you off to Yamaha without giving you a contact number. That's the last time I would buy anything from that dealer!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

beykock

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 05:42:53 AM »

Sorry Al but I am confused. 😫

Why is the name of this Yamaha USA dealer not mentioned here ? A legal problem, maybe ?

IMHO this dealer, all potential buyers, customers and Yamaha USA need to know this important information, right ?

Babette
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 06:31:02 AM by beykock »

Bachus

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2019, 08:37:09 AM »
Sorry Al but I am confused. 😫

Why is the name of this Yamaha USA dealer not mentioned here ? A legal problem, maybe ?

IMHO this dealer, all potential buyers, customers and Yamaha USA need to know this important information, right ?

Babette

Open and honest communication..

If they deserve kudos praise them
If they underperform, that should be shared to

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2019, 07:08:26 PM »
thanks. 

The reason i did not want to provide the name of the dealer is because i was not entirely sure that his answer was correct or not and did not want to be unfair.  I wanted to check with Yamaha first.

I called Yamaha USA and they told me that in fact I should have started the warranty process with Yamaha.

So, it turns out that the dealer response was appropriate. 

I am now working directly  with Yamaha . . . . they referred me to a couple of Yamaha certified repair shops in my area (San Diego) that perform warranty work.

Not sure yet if the warranty will still apply.  The Genos Keyboard warranty is for one year.  They asked me for the invoice which is dated December 5, 2017.  So, if they go solely on the date of the invoice, the warranty is already expired.

However, it took like 3-4 weeks after invoice date to get the keyboard shipped and delivered to me.  So, warranty still a grey area.

Still working with Yamaha. Will keep you informed.   

Fortunately, the fading numbers on the registration buttons bother me but are not a malfunctioning problem.   

Thanks

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

beykock

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2019, 08:18:09 PM »
I am very surprised you have only 1 year warranty.😫
Are you sure ? See your manual, plse.

Babette
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 08:23:13 PM by beykock »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2019, 09:42:31 PM »
Hello Al. In Norway we have 2 years warranty, and within 5 years we have the right to complain if anything goes wrong with the product. And here it is the dealer that takes contact with Yamaha. I believed this was so everywhere, but appearently not. But you chould have 2 years warranty. Having had a keyboard that gave up the spirit after 10 months, I am glad I have 2 years warranty here!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2019, 10:03:46 PM »
In Norway we have 2 years warranty, and within 5 years we have the right to complain if anything goes wrong with the product

I believe we only have a one year warranty in Canada. A fellow Canadian can correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm right, it's further proof that Yamaha could care less about our business. Warranty durations should be global. Why give preferential treatment to Europe over Canada?? I hope I'm wrong.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2019, 10:20:28 PM »
It appears that the Yamaha warranty varies depending on Country.

The PDF of USA warranty is attached.   1-year for Arrangement keyboards.

Thanks

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2019, 10:22:51 PM »
Thanks Al. Once again, we get ripped off. Totally wrong of Yamaha to do that to us.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2019, 10:34:26 PM »
I don't think it is only Yamaha, it also has to do with the laws in your country, how strong are your consumer rights and so on.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

beykock

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2019, 10:36:05 PM »
Hi Toril,

IMHO Yamaha's warranty policy was applicable for the entire planet. Apparently I am wrong.

If Al has cleaned his Genos reg buttons correctly I do not see why this problem should not be solved free of charge.

Babette

« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 10:45:22 PM by beykock »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2019, 10:38:55 PM »
I would think so too Babette.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2019, 10:43:29 PM »
I believe the different warranty terms may have something to do with consumer laws in each Country.

For example, in the USA a lot of other products have a one-year warranty.  It seems that Norway and other Countries have better consumer protective laws.

If you look at the Yamaha website for your specific Country, you will find the warranty terms for your specific Yamaha product. 

For example Genos is covered for one year but 'Digital Pianos' in the USA are covered for two years.  My thinking is that Genos is also a Digital Piano, but not according to their list.  They have a list of specific models . . . .

Thanks

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2019, 11:11:11 PM »
Just to update everyone on this post.

Hopefully it will have a happy ending.

I spent most of the day on the phone with Yamaha today.  At issue was the dates of the warranty.   

Yamaha warranty in USA is one year after invoice date.  I purchased the Genos keyboard in December 2017.  The invoice date is Dec 5, 2017.   So, technically, the warranty is out.   I missed it for 3 weeks or so.

However, that is the date when i PAID for it but did not receive it until 2-3 weeks later.  So, ok, Yamaha agreed to extend the warranty to compensate time for shipping, etc.  a couple more weeks.  However, i am facing another problem . . . . i explained to Yamaha that I have performances and need the keyboard during January and February.  I do not want to part away with the keyboard right now, not until end of february early march.

To make a long story short, Yamaha was gracious enough to extend my warranty another 90 days from the invoice date  (i have it in writing via email) until March 5, 2019. 

I truly believe that Yamaha is a good company that backs us when needed.

thanks

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

beykock

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2019, 11:21:16 PM »
Hi Al,

Thank you for sharing the Yamaha arranger keyboard warranty information in the USA.

I am really surprised 🐸.

What about the USA warranty period if the owner is a pro musician ?

Regards,
Babette

DonM

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2019, 11:50:33 PM »
Yamaha markets the Genos as a professional instrument.  Why should it make a difference in the warranty time?
The have always been great about covering some defects even well after the warranty has expired.
The faulty screen on PSR S900 is a great example.  They were replacing them several years after any warranty expired.
Some dealers offer their own extended warranty at no cost.  Sweetwater is an example.

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2019, 12:10:25 AM »
I don't think it is only Yamaha, it also has to do with the laws in your country, how strong are your consumer rights and so on.
Completely disagree. If this were true, then why do I own other electronic products that carry a three year warranty? Our laws have nothing to do with Europeans being offered far longer warranty periods from Yamaha than Canadians. We also paid top dollar and waited a **** of a lot longer to get our Genos keyboards. We deserve equal warranty periods...PERIOD! No excuses.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2019, 12:24:49 AM »
We deserve equal warranty periods.

Lee,

We deserve to get what we paid for, which in our case is a one-year warranty.

Other countries may have longer warranty periods, but there's a price for it.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2019, 03:13:54 AM »
Agreed, Fred. So long as we are all being treated the same. If our friends in Europe and other places are getting better warranties, then they are probably paying more at the starting gate. At least, I would hope so.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2019, 08:47:16 AM »
Lee,

We deserve to get what we paid for, which in our case is a one-year warranty.

Other countries may have longer warranty periods, but there's a price for it.

Cheers,
Fred

Hi Fred.
Which was the price for your Genos?
I paid my Tyros 5 + 2000 Euros cash, in November 2017. (In a good transition, it was something like 2500E T5 + 2000E cash). Now, on thomann it is 3800 Euro.
In these conditions my supplier gave me 3 years warranty.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Toril S

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2019, 10:47:29 AM »
I can comfort you. We pay more at the starting gate!😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

beykock

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2019, 10:55:39 AM »
Not bad at all ( at that time ), Vali. :)

Today the selling Genos prices are even lower.
Most dealers in Europe ( and in the UK ?? ) are offering a 3 years warranty, some 5 years ( black on white ).

I do not know the present US prices but there must be no much difference between ours and theirs ( local tax included ) today, IMHO.

Best regards, Babette

Offline EileenL

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2019, 03:41:11 PM »
Here in UK we have always had two year warrantee's on our keyboards and a lot of our shops extend them to five or six years. This is because they have faith in the product and know very few will need a repair of some sort.

Offline sooty8

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2019, 04:19:18 PM »
I brought a used Tyros 5 in December 2017 and received  a 3 year warranty  with the dealer, so far so good I have had no need for it.
A lot of dealers are offering 5- 6 years warranty  on a new Genos in the UK. I think you pay less for your keyboards in America then in the UK, but I would still prefer the long warranty.

Regards

Steve
Tyros 5   S950 S975
Bose L1 compact speaker
HS8 Studio Monitors

I Love My Tyros 5

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2019, 05:19:48 PM »
I paid $4,125 US Dollars for Genos in Dec/2017.   Everything included (tax and shipping) delivered to my door.

That is approx $3,500 Euros. 

That is when the price of Genos was higher, they are coming down.

So, i guess with that price, not a lot of room for more than 1Y warranty.

The problem i am having is not a functional problem, meaning the keyboard works functionally correct. 

Thanks everyone for your comments.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

beykock

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2019, 06:02:51 PM »
Hi Al,

Happy to hear your Genos cosmetic problems will be repaired soon and free of charge.👍

Present lowest Genos USA $ street price ??

Thank you in advance for this information.

Babette

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 06:08:46 PM by beykock »

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2019, 06:50:35 PM »
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

beykock

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2019, 09:32:55 PM »
Present European prices seem to be lower than the US prices...😱
Right or wrong ?

Babette