Author Topic: gig disks  (Read 7382 times)

davfra

gig disks
« on: January 02, 2019, 11:13:40 AM »
I downloaded a gig disk to a flash drive. When I unzipped it there were lots of songs on it . I inserted the flash drive onto my PSR3000, it seems there's nothing on the drive. I took it out and put it back on my laptop and once again there were lots of  songs available.
Could someone please tell me what I am doing incorrectly and why my PSR3000 is not showing the unzipped files:
Thank you
David

Offline panos

Re: gig disks
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 12:03:22 PM »
Not all styles work for all keyboards.
Older keyboards like the psr 3000 work with the sff1 style  format.
Newer keyboards like tyros 3 work with the sff2 style format.
So try to find styles that are in the sff1 style format that your model can "read".

https://www.psrtutorial.com/sty/yamaha/psr-3000.html
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 12:05:43 PM by panos »

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 01:27:05 PM »
I downloaded a gig disk to a flash drive. When I unzipped it there were lots of songs on it . I inserted the flash drive onto my PSR3000, it seems there's nothing on the drive. I took it out and put it back on my laptop and once again there were lots of  songs available.
Could someone please tell me what I am doing incorrectly and why my PSR3000 is not showing the unzipped files:
Thank you
David

A gig disk normally has styles on it, not songs.

Regardless, to see a specific type of file, you need to start with the right button.

To see style files, press the Style button (typically D, but your keyboard could be different).

To see song files, start with the Song button (typically A). 

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 01:30:07 PM »
Whether the styles are sff1 or sff2 format, You will see them in your keyboard. The sff2 will just sound very bad and out of whack when played with on your PSR3000.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 01:31:09 PM by DrakeM »

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 02:44:16 PM »
Fred probably has the right answer to your problem. You need to understand what a 'gig disc' is .....a collection of styles that have been selected and /or tweaked for a particular song and stored under the name of that song. The tweak might be as little as setting the correct tempo, or even no changes at all, or it can be major edits to the style main sections, OTS and  intro/endings, or even an original style. Just whatever that original player deemed worked well for the song. It is a way for making it easy to find the style for that song that the original player liked to use. Be aware that they are seldom accurate 'covers' of the original recording arrangement of that song, just a style that works ok.   
Mike 

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 10:51:05 PM »
also maybe the file is to large. If there over let's say 300 files in 1 folder your keyboard will not show anything. On a computer make new folders and put about 250 styles/songs in each of them.
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

davfra

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 05:34:43 PM »
Thanks guys, I have a box of 5 16gb flash drives. First the machine requested I format disks. I was trying to copy some of the earlier gig disks. On my computer everything showed - back in the ancient psr3000 - nothing. Perhaps its the age of the machine but I don't think so because every thing else is working just fine.

Any way I'm very grateful to you all for your efforts.