Author Topic: Genos Knobs - modified  (Read 5884 times)

Offline jimlaing

Genos Knobs - modified
« on: December 28, 2018, 11:38:15 PM »
Hi - here is my 2nd project (after doing the Drawbars project) - my first attempt to add small white lines on the 6 Knobs of the Genos.  Attaching before and after pictures.  For this first attempt, I used parts of small vinyl letters (white), cut to size (I used a capital "I" cut in half for most of them!)  When I do my 2nd Genos, I may try something different - I may even paint ½ of the knobs white and add a black line, and alternate them?!  [I bought some more knobs from Yamaha to have as spares or in case I sell someday and the buyer wants original, unaltered knobs]

Jim (2 photos)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline jimlaing

Re: Genos Knobs - modified
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 07:19:41 AM »
Adding another photo - how it looks when in a darker room . . .
Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Mike2

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 01:18:33 PM »
Maybe a dumb question...but why the colors, and the number 2 marking.

Bachus

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 02:23:07 PM »
Maybe a dumb question...but why the colors, and the number 2 marking.

I think thats a herritage from. The first try out...

Bachus

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 02:24:31 PM »
What type of paint are you using?
What color codes?

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 04:31:32 PM »
Hi - For the knobs, I did not use paint; it was tiny white vinyl letters that I cut parts of and applied with an X-acto knife.

For the drawbars, I literally used "whatever I had around"; I had several cans of spray paint - budget stuff, nothing special.  I can sometime get more exact info, but it was just typical local hardware store white (satin, not gloss) paint and strangely: a can of Primer that happened to be "sort of brown".

The trick I think it to spray carefully ... I always get the spray started to the side of the thing I'm painting, then bring the spray toward the object smoothly and go beyond the object - this seems to avoid any "too-thick" paint or too much accumulation.  (I do this side-to-side several times).  I give it a light coating, then let that dry, then apply a 2nd coat.

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 12:20:53 PM »
Hi Jim,  :)

Interested to know why the sliders are marked.
Also, have you ever tried to use Nail polish instead of spray paint ???   

cheers
elaine
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

keynote

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 04:24:12 PM »
Nice job Jim! Very professional looking in my opinion. My guess is Yamaha will probably do something similar on Genos 2. You beat them to it.  ;)

Mike 

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 05:29:15 PM »
Nice.
Roland G-70 has colored 'drawbars', but I think the reason that Yamaha decided to have all black is because it's optional for more operations than just the organs.
Personally, I think it's great just as it is right out off the box. I guess it's a matter of taste... :)

Happy New Year to all!
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Bachus

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 05:50:33 PM »
Nice.
Roland G-70 has colored 'drawbars', but I think the reason that Yamaha decided to have all black is because it's optional for more operations than just the organs.
Personally, I think it's great just as it is right out off the box. I guess it's a matter of taste... :)

Happy New Year to all!

Biggest advantage of the colors is that its much harder to grab the wrong slider..

Offline BartW

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 09:23:06 PM »
I like the idea on the knobs but would like to suggest that you try a glow-in-the dark paint:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHR2RC7/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?pd_rd_i=B06XHW1HR3&pd_rd_w=ViVWS&pf_rd_p=f0dedbe2-13c8-4136-a746-4398ed93cf0f&pd_rd_wg=RsyCI&pf_rd_r=X8MDKJF3CNYMPKM6S855&pd_rd_r=ef6011c0-0c78-11e9-8b23-7f522031bab0&th=1

I think Blue would look pretty cool and match the overall look and feel of the instrument.

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 07:42:58 PM »
Wow, glow-in-the-dark paint, interesting!  I have lots of extra knobs (bought from Yamaha), so some day I might experiment a bit!

Jim

Offline BartW

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 11:06:54 PM »
Jim,

Just to clarify; I would only paint the position marks on the knobs and leave the knobs as-is. That way you could see what was the position of the knob in the dark since the "tick" mark would be visible.

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 12:41:49 AM »
Ah, I see - just paint the indicator line in glow-in-the-dark paint - yes, that would probably work real well!

Jim

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 12:46:07 PM »
For painting such slim little indented lines like those found on the knobs, you can use a toothpick as a brush. Try it out using latex paint on a knob first until you get the technique down. Immediately wash the latex paint off the knob with an old toothbrush and warm water. Let dry, and then paint with the glowing paint. Works great. I've sometimes painted things by placing them under a magnifying glass, for extra detail.

Note  Most paints today are latex based, so if you make an error with the glowing paint, it might just wash off with warm water as well. Experiment first.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 12:47:34 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline jerryghr

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2019, 02:32:43 PM »
Nice job.  Very professional looking.

Another option for members that do not have the ability, or skill to paint tick marks on the knobs, would be to place a dot on the knob.  My Tyros has a dot on the master volume knob and it is easy to see.

Regards,

Jerryghr

Offline Toril S

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2019, 04:12:17 PM »
Good idea! This trick is used by people with low vision all the time. I need to get some dots! You can buy dots in all sizes ready to stick on the keyboard.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page