Author Topic: Genos midi master controller  (Read 3705 times)

Bachus

Genos midi master controller
« on: December 27, 2018, 10:39:45 PM »

When using the genos to controll external devices...

How can i make lets say the right 3 voice send bank and program changes instead of playing a local sound?

Or is it possible to create a voice in Yem that does not make any sound? 

Just reading the refference manual does not give me any answers..

Offline Joe H

Re: Genos midi master controller
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 12:09:45 AM »
Bachus,

Yes you can call up voices from an external keyboard or sound module IF... the Voices use the MSB 063 and 062.

I have done this successfully with my Motif Rack XS User Voices and User Multis (Performances)  See this thread:

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,44663.msg351945.html#msg351945

And here:  http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,44663.msg351832.html#msg351832

You simply write the Voice Name in each of the 128 slots, then assign the correct LSB number to match the external instrument.   When you install the file it will take up no memory room.  It is simply a Voice List created in YEM. Then I created special MIDI configuration in my S970 so that R1 is silent (local control - Off) and the Motif Rack is patched into the audio Aux In so I can hear the Motif sounds through my keyboard. As I stated in the thread... it's like making (integrating) the Motif so it is part of the S970.

Joe H
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 04:43:12 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Bachus

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 01:16:48 PM »
Bachus,

Yes you can call up voices from an external keyboard or sound module IF... the Voices use the MSB 063 and 062.

I have done this successfully with my Motif Rack XS User Voices and User Multis (Performances)  See this thread:

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,44663.msg351945.html#msg351945

And here:  http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,44663.msg351832.html#msg351832

You simply write the Voice Name in each of the 128 slots, then assign the correct LSB number to match the external instrument.   When you install the file it will take up no memory room.  It is simply a Voice List created in YEM. Then I created special MIDI configuration in my S970 so that R1 is silent (local control - Off) and the Motif Rack to patched into the audio Aux In so I can hear the Motif sounds through my keyboard. As I stated in the thread... it's like making (integrating) the Motif so it is part of the S970.

Joe H

Thanks Joe, i remember those topics..

But with (10)1000’s of sounds and a few hundred presets, i don’t think that will work with only 2 banks availabe..

I think i will stick with my orriginal plan of making an empty sound.. and then selecting performances from the ipad setlist..  that means if i decide to buy the Genos in Januar..

I have set up my ipad with the modx, and it works like a blast...it offers me everything except styles..  so i plan of repacing pretty much all my gear for a Genos and a VPC1 with the ipad and audiobus connecting everything (motif xs rack, mainstage mac mini, integra7 and GSI Gemini)

Yet i am still worried the Genos midi capabilities lack some real master functionallity..  but the ipad seems the true wizzard to connect all and everything..  and function as the screen for my mac mini(and external screen for the Genos)

With everything controlled from the ipad screen and vconsole on a small win tablet, this should clean up my setup...i can even prk the modules under the desk...

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 01:26:07 PM »
This is the kind of advanced level stuff Yamaha needs to describe to Genos users. Yamaha knows how to do this. Why not write it down for us!!?? It could result in more sales for them - both in Genos and other keyboards and modules they offer.

With Motif and Montage, they describe how to make each one of them do your dishes after supper, though instructional videos. I guess Genos users just don't count. Perhaps if Stevie Wonder started playing a Genos... ;D?!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 01:28:35 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Bachus

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 03:08:39 PM »
This is the kind of advanced level stuff Yamaha needs to describe to Genos users. Yamaha knows how to do this. Why not write it down for us!!?? It could result in more sales for them - both in Genos and other keyboards and modules they offer.

With Motif and Montage, they describe how to make each one of them do your dishes after supper, though instructional videos. I guess Genos users just don't count. Perhaps if Stevie Wonder started playing a Genos... ;D?!

Makes you wonder how its possible that the US team (montage modx) offers so much more supprt then the EU team (genos and other arranger keys)?

I don’t think tough this will change in the future, as barely anyone seems to care..

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 04:46:18 PM »
I chose to only implement one Motif User Voice Bank, but I could have written Voice lists for all 8 Voice banks plus the User Voices.  My thinking is I just want to be able to quickly access my "FAVORITE" Motif Voices and Performances on the fly from the S970 and play them as R1 Voices along with my S970 styles.  I have been playing the VL and Analog and FM Voices installed in my MU128 like that for years.

Another thing I have accomplished is playing the Motif and E-MU Proteus arpeggiators using S970 Voices.  It's just another way of integrating the Motif with the arranger.

Joe H
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 04:51:54 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 08:15:15 AM »
Quoting Bachus,
"I think i will stick with my orriginal plan of making an empty sound.. and then selecting performances from the ipad setlist..  that means if i decide to buy the Genos in Januar.."

Genos (and Ty5) already has a No Assign "Voice" which is available for selection  in the Others category of Ensemble. Voice nos. 109/0/128.
Like voices generally you can copy it to other folders of choice.
John
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 08:17:00 AM by jwyvern »

Bachus

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 02:22:07 PM »
Quoting Bachus,
"I think i will stick with my orriginal plan of making an empty sound.. and then selecting performances from the ipad setlist..  that means if i decide to buy the Genos in Januar.."

Genos (and Ty5) already has a No Assign "Voice" which is available for selection  in the Others category of Ensemble. Voice nos. 109/0/128.
Like voices generally you can copy it to other folders of choice.
John

Thanks, didnt notice this yet,,...