Author Topic: Genos and ipad  (Read 9000 times)

Bachus

Genos and ipad
« on: December 27, 2018, 01:37:10 PM »
Anyone using the genos with the ipad?

Do the yamaha wireless
Midi adapters work latency free?

Did anyone get the ipad to work as the external screen.

What ipad aps are you using with the genos?

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Genos and ipad
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 03:51:10 PM »

Do the yamaha wireless

Yes.

Good question. I believe there’s some latency, but it’s in the milliseconds.

Yes.

Songbook+

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Georgeandmarj

Bachus

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 04:32:17 PM »
Yes.

Good question. I believe there’s some latency, but it’s in the milliseconds.

Yes.

Songbook+

Cheers,
Fred

Thanks for the answers Fred, could you tell me how you got the ipad to work as the 2nd screen?  Is there a guide or link for this?

And for the latency, a few mili seconds, anthing less then 10 will not be noticable...
But latency is a strange beast as every step in a chain adds more to it..
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 04:34:43 PM by Bachus »

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 05:30:06 PM »

Do the yamaha wireless

Bachus
I do use an iPad connected to the Genos.  In the past i used a USB/Apple 'camera' adaptor to establish physical connection.

Later i switched to a wireless midi device for the connection.   The wireless connection works great for me.  If there is any latency i do not notice at all.

I use the iPad to display my PDF's in synch with my Genos registrations. So, when i bring up the PDF on the iPad, it automatically brings up the corresponding Genos registration.   The other direction also works. 

Like Fred, I also use SongBook+ on the iPad.  This is a great app.  The app owner is very responsive.  I have corresponded with him a couple of times for questions, suggestions, etc. 

Setting up the iPad/SongBook+/Genos is not that difficult if you already know how to do it. Of course the first time you don't and initially it is a challenge.    Fred is our resident expert on the SongBook+ app and a great resource for questions and initial setup. 

I do not use the iPad as an external screen to Genos, mostly because I use registrations and really have no need to look at the Genos screen that much while playing.   For the same reason i rarely use the Genos knobs and sliders. Everything is already setup in my registrations. 

thanks

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 05:55:17 PM »
Thanks for the answers Fred, could you tell me how you got the ipad to work as the 2nd screen?  Is there a guide or link for this?

There is a menu option which allows you to choose either the Genos screen or lyrics/text. Sand as the Tyros.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline zionip

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 06:09:01 PM »
Using iPad Pro as a secondary monitor for a PC / Mac is easy using the US$10 Duet Display app:
https://www.duetdisplay.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAsJfhBRCaARIsAO68ZM6D641XWBC_UL-YmyERJ38zq6vK8fNcaegLGE6JWschpTJoxWbm05EaAn3pEALw_wcB

Using iPad Pro as a remote monitor for cameras with built-in WiFi is possible through free or paid apps.

Using iPad Pro as the monitor for Genos, besides the purchase of a DisplayLink DL-165 / DL-195 chip based USB 2.0 video adapter, requires the purchase of additional hardware such as the US$698 CAME-TV Crystal 800 wireless HD kit:
https://www.came-tv.com/collections/wireless-hd-transmitter/products/came-tv-wireless-hd-video-kit

Before the above CAME-TV Crystal 800 wireless HD kit came out, the option is even more expensive Teradek Cube 600 / 700 series (US$1790 / US$2790):
https://teradek.com/collections/cube

If you do not mind having wires running around, you can use the US$360 Febon iCapture card together with iPad camera connection kit:
https://www.febon.net/products/icapture

Using a Windows laptop / tablet or MacBook Pro as the remote monitor for Genos costs you about US$130:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,41742.msg368321.html#msg368321

You may be better off to purchase an actual LCD monitor with HDMI input that supports the 800x600 resolution for Genos because it is much cheaper option.  Avoid buying any of the USB only monitors for Genos because the Genos firmware only supports DisplayLink DL-165 / DL-195 chipset based USB 2.0 display adapters.

The following users thanked this post: JohnStarbuck

Bachus

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 05:48:56 PM »
Its obvious noboddy is using the ipad as a sound and feature expansion for the Genos (yet)

If i get my Genos by the end of Januar
(first need to sell the pa4x, kronos and kurzweil pc3x or my wife will shoot me)
I might start making some youtube video’s on using Genos in combination with the ipad..

Using audiobus with midiflow to play several sounds on ipad at once..
Using keystage, to turn ipad into a v-console..
Adding a virtual synth (like arturias mini-moog emulation) and controlling it live from the Genos..

And so much more... 
some good tutorials might convince people into diving deeper into the ipad
As soundquallity is on par with the best vst/dwas, but at a much lower price..
And flexibillity and posdibilities go trough the roof, making pc feel like last century

Offline StuartR

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 07:05:22 PM »
Its obvious noboddy is using the ipad as a sound and feature expansion for the Genos (yet)

If i get my Genos by the end of Januar
(first need to sell the pa4x, kronos and kurzweil pc3x or my wife will shoot me)
I might start making some youtube video’s on using Genos in combination with the ipad..

Using audiobus with midiflow to play several sounds on ipad at once..
Using keystage, to turn ipad into a v-console..
Adding a virtual synth (like arturias mini-moog emulation) and controlling it live from the Genos..

And so much more... 
some good tutorials might convince people into diving deeper into the ipad
As soundquallity is on par with the best vst/dwas, but at a much lower price..
And flexibillity and posdibilities go trough the roof, making pc feel like last century

Did you ever create any YouTube videos regarding the use of Keystage with Genos to control iPad sound sources?

I'm in the process of adding the Hammond B-3X iPad app to my Genos and controlling it all with Keystage. I don't want to try and control the Genos since I've already got Songbook+ for that. Just want to use Keystage to enable the B-3X with a particular patch or disable it otherwise.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 07:25:15 PM by StuartR »

Bachus

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 09:39:22 PM »
Did you ever create any YouTube videos regarding the use of Keystage with Genos to control iPad sound sources?

I'm in the process of adding the Hammond B-3X iPad app to my Genos and controlling it all with Keystage. I don't want to try and control the Genos since I've already got Songbook+ for that. Just want to use Keystage to enable the B-3X with a particular patch or disable it otherwise.

No, i never do any recordings..

Since then, i moved on to camelot pro as an AUv3 host..
Keystage turned out a bit unstable for me..

Combine camelot pro with Audiobus 3 or Aum and enjoy..

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 09:50:45 PM »
I have my iPad Pro hooked to my Genos without any adapters using WiFi and it works great. Just use your home network rather than the Genos network.
If anyone needs help let me know.

Rick D.

Bachus

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 01:11:31 PM »
I have my iPad Pro hooked to my Genos without any adapters using WiFi and it works great. Just use your home network rather than the Genos network.
If anyone needs help let me know.

Rick D.

Its not the wifi that requires you to connect to your keyboards..
Its when you want to use the audio from the apps on your ipad..

Ipad offers so much more then just a sheet music app

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 03:22:06 PM »
I'm using the mi.1 connect wireless MIDI device attached to Genos, and wireless MIDI from iPad to Genos (in my case, to have the iPad call up the Registrations for songs I display in unrealBook on the iPad).  It has worked very well, I think only one time in the last ~2 years did it "lose connection", otherwise has got me through probably 50 gigs, and 20 or so jam sessions and parties, very reliable . . . and since I'm not using the MIDI to play sounds, I don't notice any latency.   (in my case, I have set up unrealBook to send MIDI commands to Genos to "tell" the Genos to load/recall specific Registrations ) ...

Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 07:29:30 PM »
Bachus,

I use mine to call up registrations from the sheet music on the ipad and vice versa to call up sheet music from the Genos.
It works great!.
Anything else, you are better off using midi cables for, or USB.

Rick D.

Offline Colin D

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 07:52:54 AM »

And for the latency, a few mili seconds, anthing less then 10 will not be noticable...
But latency is a strange beast as every step in a chain adds more to it..

Fred,

I use a Bluetooth turn pedal, would this still work with the IPAD if i use a Midi wif adapter?,

Kind Regards

Colin
Previous, Technics E44, E66, U90, G7, GX7 G100, Tyros 2, Tyros 5, now Genos,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNozAL1Whf-t4TJY5wPK57Q

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 11:32:52 AM »
Colin,

Bluetooth and WiFi are two different things. My Air Pedal works fine with wireless WiFi connection to iPad.

Wait for Fred to confirm this for a wired connection.

Rick D.

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2022, 11:36:46 PM »
I feel like a cave man!  I've had my Genos for quite a few years.  Today I was thinking what can I do with an I Pad connected to my genos and came across this. I don't quite understand what an I pad can do for me in my situation.

I am a singer who plays keyboard.  Sometimes I use Karaoke files on my laptop, sometimes I use midi karaoke files on my Genos I use an external monitors for the lyrics.

I had two Tyros, the folding screen was useful but it took away from the music stand.  The display on the Genos is flat and not as visible as the Tyros, or should I say in a live situation if you're looking at the lyrics you are looking down.  Now I carry an extra monitor so it doesn't appear I am looking down reading the lyrics. 

What else can an I Pad be used for in my situation?
Lately I just bring two laptop to the job because they are easy to carry, in effect I've become a singing DJ!
Anybody has any input of how to use the Genos in my situation?