Author Topic: Line out volume is low  (Read 2701 times)

Offline sunny

Line out volume is low
« on: April 06, 2022, 08:20:18 PM »
Friends,
        We play both Genos and PSR S-970 on stage for live performance, after connecting L+R MONO outputs of both keyboards to external PA System, the Genos Line out volume is weak lower than Psr S-970 . So is there any way to increase the line out volume of Genos ?

Thanks,
Sunny

Offline Gleston

Re: Line out volume is low
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 08:26:00 PM »
Sir
I really want to know why theses keyboards have such a low volume in the L+R  channel. I have a PSR-S970 and it´s the same.

I thought, until now, that the Genos was higher, but as you told , it dissapointed me...

Does somebody have a answer or how to solve it?

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 09:40:57 PM »
        We play both Genos and PSR S-970 on stage for live performance, after connecting L+R MONO outputs of both keyboards to external PA System, the Genos Line out volume is weak lower than Psr S-970 . So is there any way to increase the line out volume of Genos ?

Main Line Out responds to the master volume setting, so the simple way is just increase the volume of the keyboard.

Another thing to check is Menu>Line Out to ensure that all parts are being sent to the desired output.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 12:34:50 AM »
If the Master Compressor is enabled, check/tweak the output level. Plenty of gain available there...

I don't recommend making the output too hot as the Genos may/will overdrive the next gain stage resulting in distortion.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline sunny

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 05:31:07 AM »
If the Master Compressor is enabled, check/tweak the output level. Plenty of gain available there...

I don't recommend making the output too hot as the Genos may/will overdrive the next gain stage resulting in distortion.

Hope this helps -- pj

After connecting both PSR 970 and Genos to external mixer, the volume of Psr s970 is ok at 12 o clock position and in case of Genos output when i asked the sound engineer to increase the Genos volume, he is saying that he kept the volume more than 75 % on the mixer and even though the volume knob of Genos is kept at 4 o clock also the Genos sound is very weak.
I hope this problem will be solved in GENOS2.

Thanks,
Sunny.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 05:36:15 AM by sunny »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2022, 01:39:49 PM »
After connecting both PSR 970 and Genos to external mixer, the volume of Psr s970 is ok at 12 o clock position and in case of Genos output when i asked the sound engineer to increase the Genos volume, he is saying that he kept the volume more than 75 % on the mixer and even though the volume knob of Genos is kept at 4 o clock also the Genos sound is very weak.
I hope this problem will be solved in GENOS2.

If you always believe this is a Genos design issue, you’ll never solve your problem. If your keyboard has decent volume though headphones, it should have decent volume through Libe Out.

You just need to keep experimenting until you find the problem.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 02:02:29 PM »
Sunny, post some screen shots of all your settings of a typical registration. Include the Mixer volume and pan page, Master page, and anything else pertaining to the output. I run my Genos at about 11:00 through two Bose Pro 8 speakers set at one half volume. For most venues, that's almost too loud.

I agree with Fred. The Genos has far more control of its output stage than any PSR model. I think there's something in your settings that is incorrect.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline sunny

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2022, 06:44:26 PM »
Sunny, post some screen shots of all your settings of a typical registration. Include the Mixer volume and pan page, Master page, and anything else pertaining to the output. I run my Genos at about 11:00 through two Bose Pro 8 speakers set at one half volume. For most venues, that's almost too loud.

I agree with Fred. The Genos has far more control of its output stage than any PSR model. I think there's something in your settings that is incorrect.

I use Volume pedal FC7 and Compressor settings - Natural and Equalizer settings as Bright and rest of the settings as default. Any adjustments needed ?

Sunny.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2022, 07:02:55 PM »
There appears to be some confusion about the outputs. Line Out volume is a constant 1.5 VDC and does not change with the volume control. It is a fixed value.

The standard outputs L-L/R are controlled with the master volume as are the headset volume. This is NOT a line out volume, but instead standard output volume which varies with the master volume setting.

Line out volumes are not controllable - they are fixed.

Line outputs usually present a source impedance of 100 to 600 ohms. The voltage can reach 2 volts peak-to-peak with levels referenced to −10 dBV (300 mV) at 10 kΩ. The frequency response of most modern equipment is advertised as at least 20 Hz to 20 kHz, which corresponds to the conventional range of human hearing.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2022, 07:05:03 PM »
Hi Sunny,

That should work fine. Are the channel settings on the Mixer set to healthy levels?

I have an FC7 pedal. There is a maximum angle adjustment screw on the underside. I've never changed it. I believe it is factory set at 10 degrees. Check yours to see if it is running at full excursion.

It should be plugged into the Assignable Port Volume (3) on the back of the Genos. To rule out the pedal as a cause, try just using the Volume knob on the Genos, with the pedal disconnected. Yamaha is a master at audio output. I doubt there's anything wrong with your Genos. It must be a setting somewhere.

Also check your keyboard volume setting in the tiny slim display on the upper right. Mine is always set to 100. That's plenty for my shows.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2022, 07:10:46 PM »
Thanks for the post, Gary. I missed that. If Sunny is using the Line Outs, then he won't get the volume he wants. He definitely needs to use the Main Outs L and L/R.

I map the kick drums and toms to the Line Out 1 of my Genos  > and then to my mixer so I can control the ridiculously loud kick drum and toms on most kits. Whoever mixed those kick sounds at Yamaha is either deaf or has no idea what mixing is!

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2022, 11:52:54 PM »
I have one of the first Genos, never upgraded.

I sent the the main outputs, the microphone and right hand separately to the mixer.
The gain on the mixer is set differently for each output.

I use Registrations, I set them up in a way that there is not a drastic change of volume from one to another, unless I want to.

You should set the gain to respond to the input.

I have a studio in the basement, my wife tells me the house is shaking!

QSC Touch mixer 16
BOSE L1
I am not an "engineer"