Author Topic: PSR-s670 Audio Output Jacks (newbie question)  (Read 4014 times)

dman68

PSR-s670 Audio Output Jacks (newbie question)
« on: December 26, 2018, 02:25:20 PM »
New guy to the PSR-s670. Question regarding L/R audio outputs...……………………I'll be running the 670 through a Samsung Atmos Soundbar system and am wondering which would provide better audio, the L/R outs or Headphone out?  I'm suspecting the L/R outs.  Also, when using the L/R outs, are the onboard speakers muted? I am aware that by using the headphone jack, the speakers are cut off but wondering about the L/R outputs. The 670 should be delivered the 27th and would like to know ahead of time.

A little bit of the story here...……I am coming from a PSR-e463 that I only used a few times as a complete beginner . There is a youngster we know who is taking piano lessons but the family can't afford an instrument for her to practice on at the moment.  I gave the young girl my 463 as a Christmas gift and I then ordered a 670 which should be here tomorrow. She has a passion for learning to play and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to help her. I am a 68 yr old senior who has taken up learning and playing as a hobby but this kid has a passion for it.

Anyhow, i'm sure i'll have many more questions regarding the 670 once it arrives. Hope everyone had a joyous Christmas.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 02:38:44 PM by dman68 »

Offline alans

Re: PSR-s670 Audio Output Jacks (newbie question)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 02:51:14 PM »
Hi

As far as I am aware the L/R outputs on Yamaha keyboards does not cut out the onboard speakers on any model,but I could be wrong.
I have a PSR s670 in my possession at the present time,I could check this for you if you are desperate to know.If using L/R outputs and you did not want the 670 internal speakers on, you could plug in the headphones to silence them.

Hope this will help

Alan
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

dman68

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 02:55:20 PM »
Thanks alans ;) Not desperate by no means, just curious. Guess I could use a dummy headphone jack.

Thanks again.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 03:36:51 PM »
You can go into the menu and set the speakers to turn of. Check the manual, I do not know how you do it on your model😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 06:45:20 PM »

Judging from the schematic for the S670, the PHONE and OUTPUT signals are both driven without the PHONEs switching out the OUTPUTs. The PHONE and OUTPUT circuitry have the same digital-to-analog converter (DAC), but the post DAC circuitry is different for each side. The PHONE side provides higher amplification. Whether this affects signal quality, ???

The speakers are driven by a digital amplifier with its own integrated DAC. There is a signal from the CPU (SPOFF) which gates the amplifier. As Toril mentioned, check for a software option to turn the speakers on and off.

Hope this helps -- pj

P.S. Could be a case of TMI...  :D