Author Topic: properly shutting down Genos ?  (Read 4314 times)

Offline Al Ram

properly shutting down Genos ?
« on: December 23, 2018, 09:45:35 PM »
Hello Friends

I have been wondering . . . maybe you have some comments or suggestions.

I have one of those tripp-lite electrical extensions with 5 plugs, where i plug in my equipment . . . Genos, Bose L1, mixer, iPad, etc.  I have another trip-lite connected to the first trip-lite to better  reach some equipment.      The tripp-lite extension has an on/off switch where i can turn everything connected on/off at once.

When i finish playing and turn off the equipment I turn off piece by piece individually and then i turn off the trip-lite.  That means that when i turn on the trip-lite every piece of equipment is off and then i turn every one on individually.

I am wondering if i could just turn the tripp-lite off without turning off every little piece of equipment and then when turning on the tripp-lite everything will be automatically turned on.

But i was afraid something might happen to the keyboard if not turned off before shutting down the electricity . . . like some electrical over charge or something . . . .

Any comments, any issues one way or another .. . .?

Thanks

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Del B

Re: properly shutting down Genos ?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 10:21:37 PM »
Al
I am no electrician, however you have one extension plugged into another effectively giving 10 socket outlets plugged into one main wall socket, to me that would be overloading, I would carry on shutting down each piece of equipment as you do now but also try and consider running one of the extensions from another point,or purchase another longer extension as connecting them together is a fire hazard.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 10:24:10 PM by Del B »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 10:59:22 PM »
Agree with Del, but I see the problem, have many extentions here too. I think the Bose should go directly into the wall outlet. If you use extensions, see to it that they are made for heavy use, have thick cable. I would not turn everything on at the same time, especially not Genos and Bose at the same time.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 11:02:40 PM »
Al
one extension plugged into another effectively giving 10 socket outlets plugged into one main wall socket, to me that would be overloading, .
It depends what you plug in and the rating of the trip lite. Most of the kind of the electronic equipment we use for music, computers etc is very low wattage, so likely is not an overload. Just add all the watts up, and make sure the total is well less than the first trip lite rating ie the one plugged directly into the wall, because the full current passes through that one.

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 11:30:27 PM »
As far as individual switching versus a master, switching off at a master without switching off the device first should not be harmful and in fact some people would advocate always switching of the supply not just the device, especially if it’s to left a while. But I suppose when switching on, absolute best practice would be to switch on the master then switch on each device individually. But again its not likely to be harmful to do it at the master provided you are well within the rating of the trip lite. So I personally would temper that best practice with convenience ie would do it with things that are easily reached like the keyboard but not crawl around the floor just to achieve it, because it’s not really likely to be harmful.

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 01:02:33 AM »
My equipment  that requires a power down sequence (such as computers and digital recorders) are not on a switched extension. The computer and digital recorder each have their own dedicated cord with a surge protector and no capability to switch it off on the cord. These devices are left plugged in unless there is a thunderstorm nearby. I had one 'oops' once when a digital recorder was on a switched outlet strip and the switch got accidentally put to off. I lost about two hours of recording. I believe the GENOS has a power off sequence and an accidental power off would possibly lose data(?)

I do have a switched extension that can globally turn off all other gear such as mixers, monitors, rack mounted effects, etc. and I'll usually turn on or off all the gear at once on that outlet strip using the switch on the strip. These power strips also get unplugged if a thunderstorm is near.   

Offline Stijn

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 09:18:48 AM »
Genos uses a shut down sequence, like a computer.
So I wouldn't cut the power abruptly and make sure the sequence has ended before switching off completely.

I do use a tripp-lite electrical extension for the lights and the active speakers. That's not harmful.
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

The following users thanked this post: pjd

Offline valimaties

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 09:45:00 AM »
It is better Genos to be shut down from button. Every other equipment, as lights, power amplifiers, active speakers could be shut down from power extension on/off button, because non of these has a power on/off sequence as Genos (or a PC) has.

I have also an extension chord which has my subwoofer, and my two Yamaha HS7. I don't turn off each speaker but I press on extension power on/off.

BTW, @Del B, count again the numbers of free holes when you use 2 extensions of 5 holes each, and the second is plugged in the first one :D .

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 11:59:22 AM »
Genos should be switched off by first turning volume right down and then holding the off button for a couple of seconds or until you hear the click.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 05:47:35 PM »
thank you all for the feedback.

it was really good to ask for your expertise.

The consensus is to shut down Genos individually first.

I appreciate it .

Have a great day and celebration if you do.

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline pjd

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 06:34:34 PM »
Hi Al --

Sorry that I'm late to the party. Shutting down Genos by itself is the best course of action.

Background info (TMI). Most computer-based equipment does like to have the power removed suddenly. This is what happens when the plug is pulled unexpectedly or switched off at the power strip. Genos is Linux-based with an honest to goodness file system. It's best to go through an orderly shutdown to avoid damaging the file system. Data sometimes needs to be written out from volatile memory into the file system before power is removed.

Hope this helps -- pj