Author Topic: Yamaha Genos user survey  (Read 6280 times)

Yamaha Genos user survey
« on: December 23, 2018, 09:26:28 AM »
Hi all and seasons greetings

I received an email from Yamaha  on Friday with a Genos owner survey and a reward of a Yamaha music store discount for completion. It was a very detailed survey with specific questions about what functions I use more and what improvements I would like to see in functionality and options.

This was encouraging as it may indicate a desire to offer more firmware upgrade improvements. Or it could be preparation for Genos 2 of course!

I was also asked if I would be willing to join a user focus group with Yamaha engineers to which I said a quick yes!

I wondered if many other users received this?

Best wishes
Steve
Yamaha Genos, Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha MODX7, Korg M3, Korg Wavestation SR, Korg M3R, Korg MS20, MiniMoog Model D, Moog Voyager, Sequential Prophet 6, Roland D10, Roland JV1080, Roland Drumatix, EDP Wasp, Ableton 9

Offline ugawoga

Re: Yamaha Genos user survey
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 10:13:24 AM »
"ANY MORE CHEESE"!!! ;D 8)

ELP me!!! :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 10:15:14 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Pino

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 11:28:27 AM »
April 1st already 🤔
Haven’t had Christmas yet 😀

Offline StuartR

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 12:47:07 PM »
Hi all and seasons greetings

I received an email from Yamaha  on Friday with a Genos owner survey and a reward of a Yamaha music store discount for completion. It was a very detailed survey with specific questions about what functions I use more and what improvements I would like to see in functionality and options.

This was encouraging as it may indicate a desire to offer more firmware upgrade improvements. Or it could be preparation for Genos 2 of course!

I was also asked if I would be willing to join a user focus group with Yamaha engineers to which I said a quick yes!

I wondered if many other users received this?

Best wishes
Steve

Nothing here yet (owner of two Genos in US).

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 12:47:21 PM »
Yamaha have done this in the past and I have been to quite a few meetings at Milton Keynes to discus many things including what we would like to see on the next model.

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 01:04:47 PM »
Steve, where are you located? That makes a huge difference as to who gets these surveys. God forbid Yamaha Canada ever communicates with us for our opinions! We seem to be a VERY low priority market for Yamaha when it comes to arrangers. Not so much for the Motif or Montage.

I hope those who do get the survey aren't just being used to provide ideas for the next Genos. Instead, I hope the survey is a prelude to some much needed OS updates. The Genos is amazing but not fully complete IMHO.
Yamaha have done this in the past and I have been to quite a few meetings at Milton Keynes to discus many things including what we would like to see on the next model.
To my knowledge, such meetings has never happened here in Canada. Perhaps they have??
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 01:07:18 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 01:28:19 PM »
Yes I have been lucky enough to meet with Martin Harris and the Japanese team when they have been over here and it has been very interesting.

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 01:31:19 PM »
Eileen, If i give you my address and phone number, will you ask them to call me ;)? If they choose not to, perhaps you could remind them for me that Canada still exists. Even though we are a tiny market, we have produced some of the finest musicians in the world, who often buy Yamaha instruments!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Pino

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 01:33:33 PM »
Eileen, are you involved in this survey?

Bachus

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 03:26:07 PM »
Yes...  its good to know what your loyal customers think
But its also important to know how to pursuade potential customers to buy the next gen..

Combine both and you know what to build next...
If dome smart, both are not mutual exclusive..

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 05:51:32 PM »
I am here in the UK and we have not had any surveys sent out as Yet. People here were chosen by the shops they had purchased from over here and were usually asked to chose a person they knew was keen on knowing how things worked and would be able to bring up any thing that did not seem right.

Roland

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 07:24:56 PM »
I am with Lee on this topic  ;D

I am extremely disappointed in Yamaha Canada and the local dealers.

Both of them (Yamaha and their dealers) are doing a fantastic job in the UK, Germany and the US but the Canadian branch is a disaster. The two dealers I used to purchase from (Long & McQuade and St. John Music - both of them in Calgary) are absolutely not interested in selling me a Genos. I had sent them numerous emails and asked to let me know when they get one in so I can try it out - but I am still waiting for an answer and that is since February/March this year !!! To top that; in one phone call with a sales person at L&M, he told me that the Tyros and Genos series are of no interest to the local musicians - which I know is absolutely not true. I tried to intervene with Yamaha Canada, but they ignored my concerns and simply referred me back to the dealer.

So I gave up looking for my Genos in Canada, and I am now in the process of finding out about customs and will eventually order my Genos from a dealer either in the UK or in Germany if that all works out.

I am VERY frustrated about this - I simply don't understand why a company with such a wonderful product and great services in other places keeps turning a blind eye to their Canadian operation.

*end-venting*  :-)

Have a wonderful Christmas all and cheers, Roland

Offline porterma

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 07:40:33 PM »
Roland,
You should try and contact a rep at Tom Lee Music in Vancouver.
In particular, try contacting Mark Wilburn at their Richmond store.
He has been great as far as knowledge about and getting Genos to customers here in Canada.

Roland

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 08:07:19 PM »
Hi There,

Thank you very much for the tip - I will follow-up definitely.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas ! Cheers, Roland
PS: But the guys at the Canadian Yamaha office and Calgary dealers are not off the hook - yet :-)

Bachus

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 09:41:56 PM »
I am here in the UK and we have not had any surveys sent out as Yet. People here were chosen by the shops they had purchased from over here and were usually asked to chose a person they knew was keen on knowing how things worked and would be able to bring up any thing that did not seem right.

Well... thats something that worked well last decade...
In this time of the interwebs most people domt have personal relations any more with the shop they buy their instrument...

I love how yamaha synth section openly discusses these things on the official yamaha synth forum,...  which gives much more insight then a 3 page survey..

Online frozzers

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2018, 10:57:42 PM »
I'm in the UK and I got the survey email from Yamaha Music Europe dated Friday 21 December. I filled it in and returned it the same day.

For taking the survey, they offered a 'special' discount on my next order from Yamaha MusicSoft. However, the promotion code was exactly the same as the current code so it didn't seem that 'special'.  :)

For the record, I bought my Genos second-hand and registered it with Yamaha shortly after buying it.

Chris

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2018, 12:26:03 AM »
I am also based in the very centre of the UK...

I also noticed that the discount code was the standard one being offered as a Xmas deal anyway. I’m not impressed with that as it implied the survey would be rewarded as well (not that it matters that much as I would complete it anyway).

I also registered my Genos with Yamaha as soon as I got it in November 2017.

I still love this keyboard and have never had more fun playing. I’m barely touching my other gear including a Kronos88 now...

Nice to see some people get my username ELP reference as well!
Thanks
Regards
Steve
Yamaha Genos, Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha MODX7, Korg M3, Korg Wavestation SR, Korg M3R, Korg MS20, MiniMoog Model D, Moog Voyager, Sequential Prophet 6, Roland D10, Roland JV1080, Roland Drumatix, EDP Wasp, Ableton 9

Offline valimaties

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2018, 09:21:36 AM »
I would have liked to see a meeting to discuss which function should be added to current model, not to next model, which are the bugs which might be solved, and so on.
It is ONLY an year from the Genos 1 release time. Why should be focus on Genos 2 and not be focused on the existing Genos and what should Yamaha improve or add to current model?!  :(

I still believe that Yamaha will think on the users who bought Genos, and not to those which will buy Genos 2. If they are thinking in the future already, it is bad for any Yamaha user, especially those which bought Genos! It is only a year, really!

Best regards and Merry Christmas everyone!
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 05:29:11 AM »
I would have liked to see a meeting to discuss which function should be added to current model, not to next model, which are the bugs which might be solved, and so on.
It is ONLY an year from the Genos 1 release time. Why should be focus on Genos 2 and not be focused on the existing Genos and what should Yamaha improve or add to current model?!  :(

I still believe that Yamaha will think on the users who bought Genos, and not to those which will buy Genos 2. If they are thinking in the future already, it is bad for any Yamaha user, especially those which bought Genos! It is only a year, really!

Best regards and Merry Christmas everyone!
Vali
I agree with you Vali... The NAAM 2019 is coming up... I hope...
Merry Christmas everyone!!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 09:32:34 AM by Sokratis1974 »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2018, 11:48:57 AM »
I want them to put some serious effort into developing the voice guide! The survey is useless in getting that point home to Yamaha, since visually impaired musicians hold back buying the Genos because of the touch screen.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline EileenL

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2018, 01:05:49 PM »
The voice guide dose tell you what you are touching on the screen and which section you are in. It will tell you what style you are touching and what voice Etc. I believe this system has been used previously on one of Yamaha pianos.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2018, 01:25:17 PM »
To be really useful it has to tell you every button you are touching, in every menu. Not so long ago we had a post on this forum by a blind Genos user that was not really helped by the voice guide. But it is a step in the right direction! Let us hope Yamaha put some serious effort into developing it to perfection. It is possible!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page