Author Topic: Deleting audio tracks  (Read 5048 times)

bobn1944

Deleting audio tracks
« on: December 21, 2018, 12:32:40 PM »
Hi all. Does anyone know of a program/app that will remove some tracks from an audio file?
What I am trying to do is remove all tracks except drums and the girl talking on Human League's Human
in order to play along with it on my S950.
I have Audacity which is an audio editing program but it only lists two tracks, LH/RH stereo.
You can I believe remove the vocal track using Audacity, but that is not what I want to do.
Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year to all
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 12:35:00 PM by bobn1944 »

Offline DerekA

Re: Deleting audio tracks
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 01:07:07 PM »
I don't believe that you can do this.

A song is recorded in a studio using a multi-track recorder, then mixed down to a single L/R stereo pair. It's not possible to go the other way, back to multi tracks.

The 'remove vocal track' function is a kind of fudge that analyses the stereo pair and tries to remove what is most likely to be vocal frequencies present in both L and R at the same time.
Genos

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 02:23:39 PM »
Hi all. Does anyone know of a program/app that will remove some tracks from an audio file?
What I am trying to do is remove all tracks except drums and the girl talking on Human League's Human
in order to play along with it on my S950.
I have Audacity which is an audio editing program but it only lists two tracks, LH/RH stereo.
You can I believe remove the vocal track using Audacity, but that is not what I want to do.
Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year to all

With Xtra Stems 2 you can do it but the program is not free. I have it and it’s amanzing but not perfect.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 02:24:56 PM by rodrigo.b »

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 03:02:14 PM »
With Xtra Stems 2 you can do it but the program is not free. I have it and it’s amanzing but not perfect.

+1

I heard a demo of v1 last summer and it works reasonably well. The extracted audio may have some artifacts and drop-outs, but the artifacts can be hidden when mixed with other audio (e.g., your playing).

Audionamix is the company. They just released v2.

All the best -- pj

bobn1944

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 09:52:54 AM »
Thanks to everyone who answered
Looks like it's a no go this time

Regards
Bob