Author Topic: Simple question about midi and karaoke files  (Read 11657 times)

karmacomposer

Simple question about midi and karaoke files
« on: December 30, 2017, 03:40:43 AM »
Can the Tyros 5 load .kar files.  I KNOW it can load .mid MIDI files, but can it load the .kar format with lyrics?

I found this FANTASTIC software for editing midi files and adding lyrics.  I have thousands of legal midi files and most do not have lyrics.  The really good ones I want to add lyrics to, but I really did not like most of the demos and free software for editing midi files and adding lyrics, chords, etc.

Then I found a OLD program that I remember seeing years and years ago - and it's still being actively developed.  It has a karaoke lyrics editor, playlist editor, midi sequencer, event list, piano roll and staff view.

It's called Serenade and get this: it's only $15!!!

Here is the link:

http://www.1manband.nl/serenade/

Of course, the same company makes One Man Band which adds style editing and a bunch of other stuff.

Just a shout out at how good this software is.

Mike

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Simple question about midi and karaoke files
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 03:50:19 AM »
.kar is not a recognized song format by Yamaha. So just change the extension to .mid, and you’ll be good to go.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

karmacomposer

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 01:47:25 PM »
Thank you Fred - I did not know this.  I'll just save everything as .mid files and not worry about the conversion.  All other .kar files i'll rename.

Mike

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 02:06:30 PM »
Fred is wrong.
You can load kar files no need to change the extention.
Best Regards,
Wim

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 04:15:53 PM »
Yes I have some KAR files and they play fine on Tyros 5 and Genos.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 01:34:30 AM »
Yes I have some KAR files and they play fine on Tyros 5 and Genos.

Ok, good to know.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Joe H

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 02:52:43 AM »
Mike,

You might take a look at MidWorks YA.  You can input lyrics with it as well and is written specifically for Yamaha keyboards, which means it has a full blown editing capabilities including system exclusive.

There is a demo version you can download... it is fully function except for SAVE.  A licensed program requires you insert a USB pen drive in your PC to register a licensed version of the program and will serve as a copy protection dongle.  Upgrades are free for life.  MidiWorks YA latest release supports many arranger keyboards right up to Genos and has the Windows 10 "flat look".  Also... I will mention that I found a Voice definition file for the Motif XS from one of Thomas' other editors. It works well for my Motif Rack XS.

http://www.midisoft.pl/en/

Regards,
Joe H
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 02:58:10 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Stijn

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 10:30:36 AM »
A nice program called MixMaster is available on PSR Tutorial for free. It works with Midi, Kar (Lyrics), Pads, Voices, Styles and much more.

http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html

It is a program specifically designed for the display and editing of Yamaha midi files such as the song, style, pad and voice files used by the Tyros/PSR line of instruments. It comes ready to use with translations of voice, effect, midi and known Yamaha sysex commands. While extensive in capability, a great deal of effort has been expended to make it easy to use by users of all experience levels.

It extends these capabilities by offering unattended processing of single or many files with the choice of automatic revoice, auto scaling channel volumes, optimizing for XG compatibility and problem note elimination. No knowledge of midi, file types or processing is required.

[attachment deleted by admin]
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

karmacomposer

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 01:25:28 PM »
Mike,

You might take a look at MidWorks YA.  You can input lyrics with it as well and is written specifically for Yamaha keyboards, which means it has a full blown editing capabilities including system exclusive.

There is a demo version you can download... it is fully function except for SAVE.  A licensed program requires you insert a USB pen drive in your PC to register a licensed version of the program and will serve as a copy protection dongle.  Upgrades are free for life.  MidiWorks YA latest release supports many arranger keyboards right up to Genos and has the Windows 10 "flat look".  Also... I will mention that I found a Voice definition file for the Motif XS from one of Thomas' other editors. It works well for my Motif Rack XS.

http://www.midisoft.pl/en/

Regards,
Joe H

Joe,

I downloaded the demo and tried it out before I bought - I really hated it.  It just did not work the way my brain does.

Thank you anyway.

Mike

karmacomposer

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 01:27:25 PM »
A nice program called MixMaster is available on PSR Tutorial for free. It works with Midi, Kar (Lyrics), Pads, Voices, Styles and much more.

http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html

It is a program specifically designed for the display and editing of Yamaha midi files such as the song, style, pad and voice files used by the Tyros/PSR line of instruments. It comes ready to use with translations of voice, effect, midi and known Yamaha sysex commands. While extensive in capability, a great deal of effort has been expended to make it easy to use by users of all experience levels.

It extends these capabilities by offering unattended processing of single or many files with the choice of automatic revoice, auto scaling channel volumes, optimizing for XG compatibility and problem note elimination. No knowledge of midi, file types or processing is required.

I downloaded it weeks ago, but have not used it much.  I am pretty darn happy with Serenade and One Man Band (bought both - the programmer sent me a 20% off coupon to essentially pay the difference between the two - very nice guy).

It is really easy to use and full featured.

Mike

JollyJim

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 10:29:57 AM »
Hi All,

Do all the comments in this post relate also to the Tyros4 please ?

thanks, regards - Jim

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 11:26:11 AM »
Yes
Best Regards,
Wim

Janus

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 12:56:50 PM »
it is very simple
there are different files with the extencie kar sty pad prf and so on
they are all midi files
you can test that
load the file in a text programma
on top of the you will find the string  mthd
that's the indicatie that the  file is a midi file
it is very handy
change a prf extencie in  mid
now you can load the prf file (performent) by play the midi file

Gr.Jan

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 02:27:41 PM »
It is possible to open any file even an exe file with a texteditor. But what you see is just a lot of carbage.
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463
Logitech Z623 Speakersystem

JollyJim

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 09:11:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply - Jim

Janus

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2018, 09:05:20 AM »
yes it is possible but only to look for info
Take a look on left on top of the file
when you find Mthd it means that it is a file in midi format
You can't edit the file
Most of the tyros files are in midi file format
Like sty prf vce
Take a look in it in txt format
When you change the extencie by exsample sty to mid
It will play as a midi file all style parts in a row
Good for test the file
By chancing a performance prf in mid
You can load the performance by play the prf in midi fomat
in every sequencer or computer with a midi interface

Gr.Jan
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 09:08:08 AM by Janus »

Offline valio7771

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2018, 12:35:37 PM »
I have no troubles playing .kar files as they are on my Tyros 5, at all. I don't have to change the extension to .mid in order to play them.