Author Topic: Transfering registrations from Tyros 4 to Tyros 5  (Read 4248 times)

Tyroscope

Transfering registrations from Tyros 4 to Tyros 5
« on: December 19, 2018, 03:47:35 AM »
Hi,

I suppose this must have been discussed before, but for some reason my search did not retrieve any results...

Could someone please let me know if Tyros 4 registrations are fully compatible with Tyros 5? Will I have any issues transferring them? Is there any difference between registrations created using Tyros 4 built-in styles vs. styles stored on its hard disk?

I would like to do a quick swap between Tyros 4 to Tyros 5 over the holidays, and be up and running with minimal interruption  :)

Thank you!
Alex

Offline Stijn

Re: Transfering registrations from Tyros 4 to Tyros 5
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 09:54:56 AM »
Hi Alex,

No problem here. You can just copy everything as is on your T4 to the T5.

The T5 uses the exact same hard disk structure and the only issue could be that some built-in Styles of the T4 are not available anymore on the T5.
But you can download these Styles and address them as external Styles.

Attention: you CANNOT just copy everything from the main hard disk folder to a USB drive.
Tyros uses a different file management system than a computer.

You need to make copies from within each section, meaning:
- select the Style section and copy all files and folders to a stick
- select the Song section and copy all files and folders to a stick
- repeat for Midi, Song, Multi Pad, Text ...

... or, if you connect a PC/LapTop, you can copy everything from the T4 and move it to the T5

Also check this out: http://www.yamahakeyboardplayers.com/viewtopic.php?f=122&t=2066

Stijn
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 10:09:00 AM by Stijn »
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

Online EileenL

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 12:23:34 PM »
Backing up your Hard Drive for Tyros 4 to 5

by Eileen »
I know some of you have had problems doing this in the past. If like me you have a lot of articles saved to your hard drive and have collected them over the years the last thing you want to happen is to lose them. Hard Drives are fairly reliable but there is always that one time, or you may format by accident.
Firstly you will need a cable with USB(A) one end and USB(B) the other. In other words a printer cable. Connect up and have your computer switched on and your Keyboard switched Off. At this point I would suggest you switch of your modem, anti-virus and screen savers. This prevents any interference with the file transfer. Now, holding down the Music Finder Button switch keyboard on. In a few seconds your keyboard screen will show you it is connected. Now go to your computer and you will see Tyros4 HDD. Right click this and from the drop down menu select "Copy". Next thing to do is select your" C " drive root directory. Right click and from the drop down menu select "Paste”. According to how much information you are saving this may take several hours. This is well worth the time as, in case of problems with the keyboard Hard Drive you have all your hard work saved.

Now that you have a backup of your Tyros 4 and you want to install it to your new Tyros 5.
Connect the T5 to your computer as normal and on the computer screen will be a new drive listed as TYROS5HDD.

Go to the device that the backup of T4 is located on, navigate to the folder which will be listed as TYROS4HDD showing on the left hand side of the computer screen, you need to click on this folder to expand it and on the right hand side will be a list of all the folders and files contained therein.

Select the very first folder, hold the shift key down on the computer keyboard and scroll right down to the very last folder still holding the shift key down, click on the last file using the left button of the mouse and then release the shift key and mouse button, all the files and folders will be highlighted in blue, now right click with the mouse on any part that is blue and from the drop down menu select COPY,
Next go to the TYROS5HDD folder and right click on it, which will turn blue, from the drop down menu select PASTE
This will start the copying process, depending the speed of your hard drives and how much data is being transferred to the T5 will govern the time it will take, be prepared for several hours.
When finished remove the keyboard from the computer in the usual manner by use of the “Safely remove hard ware “ icon.
Now switch your modem back on, antivirus and screen savers.
This is how Yamaha advise we do it for the best result. I have done mine and everything works fine with all links in tacked.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 05:41:06 PM »
Why not ctrl+A instead of holding shift down?
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Online EileenL

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 03:03:04 PM »
This is the way I have always done things and have never ever had a problem. As they say each to there own.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 08:54:43 PM »
If it works, don't change it! It is easy to make mistakes when handling data, I know, I deleted my whole adress book on the computer and was not happy afterwards :) Thanks for instructions Eileen :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Stijn

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 08:38:29 AM »
It would be nice if Alex gave some feedback, wouldn't it?

....  :(

Tyroscope

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 06:44:17 PM »
Hi Stijn,
I had clicked on 'Say Thanks' for your and Eileen's messages, hope you both received it :)

Offline Stijn

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 09:19:18 PM »
Hi Alex,

Thank you for your reply. We hope you succeeded in copying your files.

Best wishes,

Stijn