Author Topic: New Genos Owner and iPad connection question  (Read 2781 times)

B1000

New Genos Owner and iPad connection question
« on: December 16, 2018, 12:26:37 AM »
I’ve been having a problem figuring something out on my new Genos.  I sold my Montage to get this keyboard and use an app called Simply Piano for lessons.  With the Montage I could have the instructors voice and music that accompanies my playing play through the Montage. This is very important as the accompanying music is actually part of the lesson experience. I am connecting directly from the iPad to the Genos using the proper usb camera connector.  The MIDI information is being communicated but again no audio. I understand the Genos doesn’t transmit audio from the keyboard to the iPad but do you know if the audio from the iPad to the keyboard is also a no go.  If so I may have made a huge mistake in buying the Genos as I rely heavily on these type of apps on the iPad to learn.  Most of them of course play audio but my favorite is Simply Piano which uses music with the playing.  Would make it impossible to properly balance the sounds.  Thanks for any feedback, and sorry for the length of this question. 

Edit:  I did just breakout the audio from the headphone out on the iPad to the mixer which effectively fixes the issue. Don’t know why I didn’t think to do that in the first place, but nonetheless discovered this difference in USB output limitations with the Genos vs Montage.  Not sure if this is something that could be added via firmware.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 03:54:34 AM by B1000 »

Offline soryt

Re: New Genos Owner and iPad connection question
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 11:29:11 AM »
It is a Big Mistake of Yamaha that there is no audio implentation with the I-Pad .
It is asked many times , but Yamaha ignored the arranger customers ( just like a good voice editor , like it is on the synth s)

Soryt  :(
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Ed B

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 03:22:52 AM »
Hi
Glad you found a work around. Yamaha has competing products and a manual on connection from the ipad is available.
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/6/725646/iphone_ipad_connect_en_i0.pdf

Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

Offline svpworld

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 08:28:54 AM »
The Genos doesn't support audio over USB, unlike the Montage and MODX. However as you say you can connect the headphone output (unless you are lucky enough to own the newest ipad pro) to the line (aux) inputs on the back of Genos and blend in the sound. I guess if you own the newest ipad pro which lacks a headphone jack, you would need to use a USB-C to headphone adaptor or you could alternatively attach a low cost bluetooth audio receiver to the aux inputs of genos and send the audio wirelessly.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 11:08:18 AM »
I have Ipad Pro and that has a head phone connection on mine. I have a lead with the headphone jack plug on one end going to two normal jack plugs the other for connection to keyboard.