Author Topic: EQ GOLD = best settings for Genos Yamaha speakers?  (Read 8241 times)

ryeager

EQ GOLD = best settings for Genos Yamaha speakers?
« on: December 15, 2018, 03:01:01 AM »
So I just discovered and tried these EQ settings on my new Genos with its Yamaha speakers: https://www.soundpacks.co.uk/blogs/news/eq-settings-for-genos

I had fiddled a bit with master EQ and compression settings prior to this which marginally improved the sound quality, but these settings really impress me so far!

There is a built-in phase shift electric piano voice that now totally tickles my ears with the phase shifting effect.  Prior to these EQ settings, the phase shift was barely noticeable.

I've also noticed that the acoustic piano voices are better, too.  I'm "almost" satisfied with the acoustic piano voice quality now.

I'm surprised Yamaha didn't include preset settings that are optimized for their Genos speakers.

Would love to know if anyone has any better master EQ settings for the Yamaha Genos speakers they can share.

The following users thanked this post: dragon

Mike2

Re: EQ GOLD = best settings for Genos Yamaha speakers?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 05:30:56 PM »
I also use the EQ Gold. Not many recommendations, on here. I understand that sound can be subjective, but without having something to compare with, you  only have the default settings that the Genos came with. I'll keep the EQ Gold settings, they work well for me.

Lloyd E

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 07:08:27 PM »
I like the settings too.  Lloyd ;D

Offline Oldden

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 12:57:16 PM »
Yes , I like the EQ GOLD settings, far better than the flat ones that Yamaha gives us. Anybody else had any recommended settings, maybe different for different styles of music, Jazz , hard rock, orchestral etc and others. But I must admit EQ GOLD is very good.
Oldden99

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 01:26:28 PM »
One big reason EQ GOLD works so well is because it increases the frequency range from approximately 300 Hz to 5,000 Hz. This range is the most the perceived area when we listen to quality CDs. It is the most musical range to our ears. Normal, low frequency material is produced in the 40 Hz to 300 Hz range. The high frequencies start above 5,000 Hz. Frequencies outside the 300 Hz to 5,000 Hz range are of course necessary, but our primary musical experience lies in the fundamental tones area of 300 Hz to 5,000 Hz. Hence, probably why the EQ  GOLD settings seem so much better. I noticed it right off the bat.

The only one I disagree with is the 12 dB increase at 32 Hz. I know it works for some, because it raises the frequencies that are actually closer to 40 Hz – the lowest note on a standard four string bass guitar. If someone raised the 32 Hz frequency by 12 dB, using speakers with a subwoofer that was flat to 25 Hz or lower, it would blow their eyebrows off  :o!

Otherwise, hats off to the EQ GOLD settings! They make the Genos sound less like a keyboard and more like a professionally produced CD. All we have to do now is become better players :).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 01:28:34 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 05:39:39 PM »
Does anyone have the original EQ Gold settings saved? Can't open the link anymore

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 07:04:47 PM »
Does anyone have the original EQ Gold settings saved? Can't open the link anymore

Hi Patrick,

I found this PDF on the web:
>>> https://www.luckeirse.be/onderwerpen/Tyros%203/Genos/Documenten/EQ%20settings%20for%20Genos.pdf

P.S.
I myself don't believe in working with any EQ settings from other users.

If the monitoring system used (monitor speaker or PA) or the headphones used are of reasonably high quality, you will already achieve a very good sound with the master EQ setting "Flat".

Starting with the "Flat" setting, you simply go "from the outside in" to set all the frequency bands of the Master EQ as desired. So first raise the highs (at around 10 kHz) and possibly the deep bass (at around 60 - 80 Hz) SLIGHTLY.

If necessary, you can use the mid-bands to LOWER interfering frequencies a little. (It is important here to set a high Q value, i.e. a narrow bandwidth.)

If you use the midbands to RAISE certain frequencies, I recommend setting a relatively low Q value for each, i.e. a relatively large bandwidth.

The settings of this "EQ GOLD" are in my opinion (from a sound engineering point of view) completely nonsense: A boost at 32 Hz by 12 dB pumps energy unnecessarily into almost inaudible, low frequencies. This can potentially be fatal for PA speakers. A boost at 4 kHz by 10 dB makes the sound extremely "nasal" and uncomfortable. This is precisely the frequency range that is normally lowered slightly, since the human ear is very sensitive in the 4 kHz range. In addition: In the very important presence range (around 7 kHz) and in the treble range (around 10 - 12 kHz) nothing can be adjusted with this "EQ GOLD", since all available bands are used by frequencies up to 4 kHz.

Of course everyone can do it as they want. But I strongly recommend every user to deal with the Master EQ and Master Compressor himself and to make his own settings (each depending on the monitoring system or headphones used and depending on the respective room acoustics).

P.P.S.
I myself work (on the Tyros5 and Genos) exclusively with the Master EQ setting "Flat". At home I use the AKG K712 Pro headphones or the active Yamaha MSP5 Studio monitor speakers (+ a HS8S subwoofer). "On stage" I always work with an external mixer. Its master EQ, however, is set as good as linear (flat) and is only used when necessary to correct the room acoustics. For the keyboard input channels, the bass and / or treble controls are adjusted a little if necessary, and that's it. :)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 07:22:55 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: patrick.r99

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 08:52:17 PM »
Hi Patrick,

I found this PDF on the web:
>>> https://www.luckeirse.be/onderwerpen/Tyros%203/Genos/Documenten/EQ%20settings%20for%20Genos.pdf

P.S.
I myself don't believe in working with any EQ settings from other users.

If the monitoring system used (monitor speaker or PA) or the headphones used are of reasonably high quality, you will already achieve a very good sound with the master EQ setting "Flat".

Starting with the "Flat" setting, you simply go "from the outside in" to set all the frequency bands of the Master EQ as desired. So first raise the highs (at around 10 kHz) and possibly the deep bass (at around 60 - 80 Hz) SLIGHTLY.

If necessary, you can use the mid-bands to LOWER interfering frequencies a little. (It is important here to set a high Q value, i.e. a narrow bandwidth.)

If you use the midbands to RAISE certain frequencies, I recommend setting a relatively low Q value for each, i.e. a relatively large bandwidth.

The settings of this "EQ GOLD" are in my opinion (from a sound engineering point of view) completely nonsense: A boost at 32 Hz by 12 dB pumps energy unnecessarily into almost inaudible, low frequencies. This can potentially be fatal for PA speakers. A boost at 4 kHz by 10 dB makes the sound extremely "nasal" and uncomfortable. This is precisely the frequency range that is normally lowered slightly, since the human ear is very sensitive in the 4 kHz range. In addition: In the very important presence range (around 7 kHz) and in the treble range (around 10 - 12 kHz) nothing can be adjusted with this "EQ GOLD", since all available bands are used by frequencies up to 4 kHz.

Of course everyone can do it as they want. But I strongly recommend every user to deal with the Master EQ and Master Compressor himself and to make his own settings (each depending on the monitoring system or headphones used and depending on the respective room acoustics).

P.P.S.
I myself work (on the Tyros5 and Genos) exclusively with the Master EQ setting "Flat". At home I use the AKG K712 Pro headphones or the active Yamaha MSP5 Studio monitor speakers (+ a HS8S subwoofer). "On stage" I always work with an external mixer. Its master EQ, however, is set as good as linear (flat) and is only used when necessary to correct the room acoustics. For the keyboard input channels, the bass and / or treble controls are adjusted a little if necessary, and that's it. :)

Best regards,
Chris

Thank you very much Chris for your help with the PDF and the helpful information. I will look into it and try adjusting this preset to my own taste

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 08:58:01 PM »
Thanks for your quick feedback, Patrick!

By the way: In most cases it is not needed to quote complete posts. You can (and should) shorten the quoted text, if possible. (But please note that the tags [⁣⁣⁣quote] and [⁣/quote] must remain unchanged.) :)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 05:21:05 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: patrick.r99, mhack

tyrosman

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 10:55:35 PM »
the best way to do this is firstley look at your surounding,s ie walls ceilings excetra start off with a Flat sound im talking about Eq setting,s here and progres from there your ears will tell you  then you can look at the comp settings ou use the setting that Yamaha provide as a guide line :) then you can take the setting,s one bit at a time. :)

Offline austermax

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2023, 02:21:12 PM »
Hi,
is there a collection of EQ files and compression files for the PSR-SX900 somewhere on this forum or elsewhere on the internet that I can use to try out different settings? I would be grateful if anyone would provide a helpful link.
Best regards,
austermax
PSR-SX900