Author Topic: Connecting midikeyboard to Genos  (Read 2095 times)

Offline NAMA

Connecting midikeyboard to Genos
« on: July 12, 2023, 04:23:26 PM »
I want to connect a midikeyboard to my Genos to play the Right 3 part seperatly. For this I got hold on an old midikeyboard Goldstar GMK-49. I am completely new in midi and I wonder if it is possible to get this fixed. Unfortunate there is no user manual available for this midikeyboard. Can anyone help me with a manual or instructions on midisettings?
Thanks in advance.
Bert
Never too old to learn.
Genos,Korg K49 and CVP709PE

Offline RoyB

Re: Connecting midikeyboard to Genos
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 04:41:27 PM »
Try:

Connect MIDI OUT on MidiKeyboard to MIDI IN on Genos.

On Genos, edit MIDI settings for MIDI RECEIVE so that CH1 is set to 'RIGHT3'.

Hopefully, you may not need to set up any MIDI Settings on the MIDI Keyboard as it is probably set to transmit on CH1 by default.

Hope it works (it did for me as I have used this setting before on my Tyros 5 to do exactly as you want to do).

Regards

Roy
Roy

Tyros 5-76; Roland FA08; Yammex V3; Behringer Q502USB; Arturia BeatStep; Alesis Elevate 3 MkIII;  Yamaha YST-FSW050; Sony MDR 7510; MultiTrackStudio Pro + AAMS.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQu3I6XidcZWOmsl_FM49_Q/videos

Offline Bill

England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline NAMA

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2023, 08:44:36 PM »
Try:

Connect MIDI OUT on MidiKeyboard to MIDI IN on Genos.

On Genos, edit MIDI settings for MIDI RECEIVE so that CH1 is set to 'RIGHT3'.

Hopefully, you may not need to set up any MIDI Settings on the MIDI Keyboard as it is probably set to transmit on CH1 by default.

Hope it works (it did for me as I have used this setting before on my Tyros 5 to do exactly as you CHwant to do).

Regards

Roy
Thanks for your advice Roy.
If I make the settings as Roy suggested it is o.k. for CH 2 to 16, but not for CH1. CH1 is the default for the midikeyboard so I have to change each time I switch on. I do not know the reason for this, probably the midikeyboard is defective, it is about 20 years old.
I now intend to buy a new midikeyboard. I want a simple one because I only want to play right 3 on a 2nd keyboard. Most modern midikeyboards only have a usb connection. Does Genos support this?
Any advice for a cheap solution?
Can Devine EZ-creator key xl do the job?

Thanks in advance.
Bert
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 09:17:12 PM by NAMA »
Never too old to learn.

Offline NAMA

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2023, 11:24:01 AM »
No replies on my questions sofar. In the meantime I found the solution to use the old Goldstar GMK-49 as described by Roy. I had to connect the midi out of the midi keyboard to to midi in B port of Genos, not A port. If connected to the A port only ch 2 to 16 can receive data, if connected to the B port ch 1 to 16 can receive data. This can be seen by the led signals in the midi receive menu. Is there an explanation for this?

I now want to replace the old Goldstar by a new midi keyboard. Most 49 keys models fit between the speakers of the Genos and I am interested in the M-audio keystation 49 mk3. This model however only has a usb connection. How can I connect this to Genos?
Advise please.
Bert
Never too old to learn.

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2023, 01:14:53 PM »
I want to connect a midikeyboard to my Genos to play the Right 3 part seperatly. For this I got hold on an old midikeyboard Goldstar GMK-49. I am completely new in midi and I wonder if it is possible to get this fixed. Unfortunate there is no user manual available for this midikeyboard. Can anyone help me with a manual or instructions on midisettings?
Thanks in advance.
Bert

Hi Bert,

To use an external keyboard that only has a USB-MIDI terminal (i.e. no DIN MIDI OUT terminal), you additionally need a so-called "USB MIDI Host" device. Look here:
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,61379.msg471065.html#msg471065

You connect the USB-MIDI OUT of the external keyboard (usually a USB "B" type terminal) with a USB "A-B" type cable ("printer cable") to the USB MIDI Host device, and you connect its DIN MIDI OUT terminal to the MIDI B IN of the Genos using a standard DIN MIDI cable.

On the Genos, first select the preset MIDI template "All Parts" in "Menu > MIDI". By default, MIDI Channel 1 under "Receive" is set to the "Keyboard" part, i.e. if the external keyboard sends on Ch 1, it behaves exactly like the internal Genos keyboard.

To control only the Right 3 part of the Genos via Ch 1, change the part from "Keyboard" to "Right3" for the Channel "Port2 Ch1" under "Receive".

Then save the modified MIDI template with a meaningful name (e.g. "Port2Ch1_R3"). Make sure that this new MIDI template is now also selected and close the MIDI display (touch the X icon or press EXIT button) to ensure that this MIDI template is automatically loaded again on restart.

Alternatively, you could also leave the "All Parts" template unchanged and instead set the Transmit Channel of the external keyboard to Ch 4 (!) to control the Right 3 part. See also the attached screenshot (Genos MIDI template "All Parts" > Receive > Port 2).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 04:30:58 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline NAMA

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2023, 04:42:30 PM »
Thanks Chris, you are very helpful as always. I am on a vacation now but will check your instructions after return.
Bert
Never too old to learn.

Offline NAMA

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2023, 06:43:19 PM »
Hi Bert,

To use an external keyboard that only has a USB-MIDI terminal (i.e. no DIN MIDI OUT terminal), you additionally need a so-called "USB MIDI Host" device. Look here:
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,61379.msg471065.html#msg471065

You connect the USB-MIDI OUT of the external keyboard (usually a USB "B" type terminal) with a USB "A-B" type cable ("printer cable") to the USB MIDI Host device, and you connect its DIN MIDI OUT terminal to the MIDI B IN of the Genos using a standard DIN MIDI cable.

On the Genos, first select the preset MIDI template "All Parts" in "Menu > MIDI". By default, MIDI Channel 1 under "Receive" is set to the "Keyboard" part, i.e. if the external keyboard sends on Ch 1, it behaves exactly like the internal Genos keyboard.

To control only the Right 3 part of the Genos via Ch 1, change the part from "Keyboard" to "Right3" for the Channel "Port2 Ch1" under "Receive".

Then save the modified MIDI template with a meaningful name (e.g. "Port2Ch1_R3"). Make sure that this new MIDI template is now also selected and close the MIDI display (touch the X icon or press EXIT button) to ensure that this MIDI template is automatically loaded again on restart.

Alternatively, you could also leave the "All Parts" template unchanged and instead set the Transmit Channel of the external keyboard to Ch 4 (!) to control the Right 3 part. See also the attached screenshot (Genos MIDI template "All Parts" > Receive > Port 2).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,

I bought a second hand Korg MidiStudio Controller K49 to do the job and I want a fixed setup for playing Right 3 after switching on. Now I have the change midisetting every time after switching on. The Korg only transmits on midichannel 1 so channel 4 is no option. I have to make a user Midi template with channel 1 set to Right 3 and save it, as you already suggested. As you know from my other topic I had problems with Mobile Sheets. Now that these problems are solved I am a careful to make any changes in midi settings. Do you think that creating a new template will influence the correct operation of Mobile Sheets and if so, how can I avoid this?
I know you as an expert so I hope you have an answer on this.
FYI: Laptop with Mobile Sheets is connected to USB to HOST connector and Korgis connected to MIDI B in.
Bert
Never too old to learn.