Author Topic: I use both USB sockets - is that all right?  (Read 8842 times)

Offline Toril S

I use both USB sockets - is that all right?
« on: December 13, 2018, 09:31:45 PM »
Hello friends. There has been a lot of talk about USB sticks, can we use HUBS etc. I know I can not use a Hub on the keyboard, but today I tried using both sockets on T5, the one at tha back and the one in front. It worked. I can play styles and songs from both. I don't remember the manual stating this. It said one is called USB host, the other USB to device. So, is it OK to use either one? It works, and is very convenient!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 09:39:29 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Fred Smith

Re: I use both USB sockets - is that all right?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 10:11:21 PM »
Hello friends. There has been a lot of talk about USB sticks, can we use HUBS etc. I know I can not use a Hub on the keyboard, but today I tried using both sockets on T5, the one at tha back and the one in front. It worked. I can play styles and songs from both. I don't remember the manual stating this. It said one is called USB host, the other USB to device. So, is it OK to use either one? It works, and is very convenient!

Certainly, it’s ok. That’s what they’re there for.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 10:42:45 PM »
Thanks Fred :) :)
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Online EileenL

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 12:21:08 AM »
You have two USB ports on Tyros but you also have a USB host which is a different shape and is used for connecting your keyboard to your computer via use of a printer cable. This is very handy for backing up your hard drive.
As you have a hard drive that you will never fill up why not make up some folders and save the contents of your USB sticks there. You then have everything in one place. Saves ware and tare on USB sockets.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 02:07:16 AM »
Saves ware and tare on USB sockets.

You can also buy an adapter to plug into the Tyros socket and then plug in the USB drive into the adapter socket.   That way, the adapter is always on the Tyros and you take the USB drive in and out from the adapter.

Have a great day.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 09:44:30 AM »
Thank you Eileen and Al! I always use an adapter. I did not know that the USB to host had a different socket. That is why I wondered if it was right to use both😀 Eileen, I really love the big hard drive, and will put it to good use!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 11:27:21 AM »
Hi Toril,

if you are working with Registrations, I recommend to use only ONE USB stick at a time.

It makes no difference whether a SINGLE USB stick is connected to the front or rear USB-to-Device socket.

BUT the FIRST connected USB stick internally gets the Drive letter I: (and is shown as "USB1") and the SECOND connected USB stick interally gets the Drive letter J: (and is shown as "USB2").

If you now create Registrations that link to files (such as Styles) that are on the SECOND stick, those Regs would no longer work if this stick was later used as the FIRST stick (as "USB1").

Best Regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 11:32:47 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline deepsae48

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 12:37:35 PM »
Hi Toril,
Christ was correct: " if you are working with Registrations, I recommend to use only ONE USB stick at a time".
If you have  only 1 usb connected to T5 (front or rear usb) the T5 will see it as USB1, after power up ,you plug in one more USB  , the second  USB , T5 will see it as USB2.
If you have 2 USB connected on T5 and you turn the power on, the frontt usb is USB1 and the rear usb is USB2.

Tai

Offline Toril S

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 03:03:48 PM »
Thanks Chris and Tai!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Online EileenL

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 03:14:42 PM »
Always best if creating gig sets to Make a folder on your Hard Drive and then Name it. Now save your registrations in this folder and then save the custom styles you are going to use. Now remove sticks and link your styles to registrations and re-save to this folder. It always works for me and has done for the past few years.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 03:16:01 PM by EileenL »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 03:16:25 PM »
Thanks Eileen😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 03:43:27 PM »
Always best if creating gig sets to Make a folder on your Hard Drive and then Name it. Now save your registrations in this folder and then save the custom styles you are going to use. Now remove sticks and link your styles to registrations and re-save to this folder. It always works for me and has done for the past few years.

I agree with Eileen regarding saving registrations to a gig folder, but disagree with the rest. There is no need to copy user styles. A registration will happily find a user style wherever it is. By leaving User styles where they are, there is no need to re-link your registrations.

Just copy the registrations. That’s all you need to do.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Online EileenL

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 03:57:38 PM »
Hi Fred
I am assuming we are talking about styles on a USB stick in which case it is silly not to put them onto the Hard Drive as you may not always have the USB stick in the keyboard at the time. Much better to keep everything together and this way you are not tempted to move styles around.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 04:58:23 PM »
Hi Fred
I am assuming we are talking about styles on a USB stick in which case it is silly not to put them onto the Hard Drive as you may not always have the USB stick in the keyboard at the time. Much better to keep everything together and this way you are not tempted to move styles around.

Eileen,

Definitely agree with not moving styles around.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline keyplayer

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 05:27:57 PM »
Hi Toril, I too use both USB sockets but I always keep the USB stick in the back socket plugged in, I make sure it is there when I switch on and I use it as my main drive, all my own styles, voices and registrations are stored on it and linked together in one single place. I use the front USB socket for my 2nd USB where I have stored all the various styles etc. I have downloaded from this forum and other places, but I only plug it in when I need it for something. Anything on this 2nd USB I want to use is copied into my USER area while I work on it and then moved onto the 1st USB. The original is still on my USB 2 if I want to go back to it and start again because I've made a mess of my editing.

This system works well for me because it means I can easily back up my main USB(1) by inserting it into my laptop, make another copy of it if I want, also take it out with me to use in friend's keyboards without having to take all my gear and everything still works together because it is all in one place.
If something goes wrong with my keyboard and I can't access my hard drive or user drive I don't lose my work.
Just recently I swopped my T5 61 for a T5 76 and all I had to think about with the hard drive was re-loading expansion voices, everything else is just read from USBs.

HOWEVER, as other people have also pointed out, when I switch on the keyboard I need to make sure my 2nd USB isn't plugged in at the front otherwise the keyboard recognises that as USB1 and links from the USB at the back won't work properly. If I do that by mistake the only thing to do is switch off, take out the front USB and switch on again.

That's how I work anyway, glad you are enjoying the T5, i love it, Happy Christmas!
Pam

Offline Toril S

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 05:41:49 PM »
Thanks Fred, Eileen and Pam😀 I always make several copies, one never knows when a storage devices break down!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Del B

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2018, 08:13:50 PM »
If you have 2 USB connected on T5 and you turn the power on, the frontt usb is USB1 and the rear usb is USB2.

Tai

Not in my case I powered up with a USB in the rear & one in the front, the rear is USB1 & the front USB2 and they both work fine

Del
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 08:16:00 PM by Del B »

Online EileenL

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2018, 02:48:46 PM »
Most keyboards recognise the first USB to be plugged in, be it back or front as USB 1.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2018, 03:16:03 PM »
But ifyou have two connected when you power on the keyboard I think the back one will be designated USB 1.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline keyplayer

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2018, 03:39:17 PM »
But ifyou have two connected when you power on the keyboard I think the back one will be designated USB 1.

Yep, that's what happens with mine, the links on the back USB don't work if they are both plugged in when I power on. Perhaps if nothing is linked to edited styles and voices it doesn't matter, I don't know?

Pam

Offline Paula

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2018, 05:26:57 PM »
 :) :) :)
 Hi Toril
 I use the H.D on the Tyros ,that is the way to go, I often back up the H.D to the P.C ,it is hard to get used of using the H.D at first after always using the U.S.B  the only time I use the U.S.B is for transferring styles and so on from the P.C when I do I have folders made on the H.D that I copy them to a folder such as P.C styles ....bought styles  many different folders your H.D is the very best way to go on the Tyros it is so easy to organize your folders ,I rework  my songs in the user area and then copy them to a folder once in the folder I make another folder say county ...60es..1920es  and copy the song  to the correct type of folder ,when I do a show I make a folder on my U.S.B  say nursing home and copy the reg to the usb for that show .I always know were my songs are if I have a request

You Tube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1xEYzY5g_0Nd5G9TkMY6mA/videos
Genos 1,Tyros 4 and Bose S1 Pro, Bose L1 Mod 2 w/tonematch
PSR S970

DonM

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2018, 07:22:40 PM »
Maybe hubs don't work now, but I used a 3-unit unpowered hub on previous PSR models. It worked fine.  I don't recall if it "saw" all three, but I think it did. 
I haven't tried it on the S970.  Memory is so big internally now that the stick isn't necessary except for backup, or if you want to go play someone else's keyboard.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2018, 09:06:20 PM »
Thanks Paula, DonM and Pam. Yes, I am certainly happy with that big harddrive of the Tyros!!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 10:09:32 AM by Toril S »
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Paula

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2018, 12:20:47 AM »
 :)
 Hi toril
 make sure you follow the steps for backing up the H.D you can not back up the H.D with the usb .... if it is the same way the T4 is backed
        Paula
 I like the psr 970 but in my opinion the Tyros series is better, again the 970 is also nice but I miss several features that the tyros has and I think the Tyros sounds better, I have just begin to use my 970 for a few gigs and considered selling my tyros but have changed my mind; your 61 key tyros is a peach I especially like the multi pads and being able to split the tyros in 3rees I wish I could get the dowap multi pads for the 970 that would make it perfect
          Paula
You Tube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1xEYzY5g_0Nd5G9TkMY6mA/videos
Genos 1,Tyros 4 and Bose S1 Pro, Bose L1 Mod 2 w/tonematch
PSR S970

Offline Toril S

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2018, 10:13:06 AM »
I finally got my dowap and doobi doo voices! Having lots of fun with them😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Online EileenL

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2018, 12:29:56 PM »
On Tyros 5 the back USB port usually has the wireless dongle plugged into it. This gives you the time on your keyboard and also adds a date to recordings Etc. that you do. This is handy some times when you want to see what date you actually did things. It also allows you to load sound packs from YEM wirelessly.

Personally I never leave USB sticks in the keyboard when I switch off.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2018, 02:16:50 PM »
Thank you for the good advice Eileen!😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2018, 06:11:54 PM »
I agree with Eileen . . . i placed the Yamaha USB wireless internet adapter in the USB in the back of Tyros.   If you save everything in your Tyros Hard Drive, there is no need to always have a USB in the front.   When you need to use the USB front, just do what you need to do and then take the USB drive out.    That way when you turn it off, there will always be the internet adapter in the back and no USB drive in front, that way you do not have to worry about USB allocation drive letter.

Hope you have a great sunday.   
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline gary3917

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2018, 07:29:29 PM »
what good is the host usb to my computer ? cant see any use for it .Enlighten me ?
Tyros 5 (finally ),Tyros 4, Korg M3 88,  Kawia MP7,Casio PX 560 Cakewalk Sonar BIAB Cubase 5
Mackie DLM8 Keyboard stereo Powered speakers and subwoofer

Offline Toril S

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2018, 07:41:38 PM »
Thanks Al. I think I must have this wireless adapter. The stack of gear grows and grows😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2018, 09:29:08 PM »
what good is the host usb to my computer ? cant see any use for it .Enlighten me ?

Well, i have used that port to connect to my iPad where i have my PDF's.

Once keyboard is connected to computer (i.e. the iPad) you can bring up the keyboard registrations which will bring up the PDF's on the iPad.

Other people use it to connect their windows laptops.

thanks
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 09:32:12 PM by Al Ram »
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Online EileenL

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2018, 12:10:54 AM »
You can use the host to computer for backing up your Tyros hard drive or for moving file around.