Author Topic: Kick drum in Sub 1 out  (Read 2349 times)

Kick drum in Sub 1 out
« on: December 09, 2018, 02:06:51 PM »
Hi team,

For the bigger shows, I add my home made subwoofer to the mix. The kick and tom drums are usually way too loud in the Revo drum kits, so I re-route them both to the Sub 1 Out to a separate mixer channel. That way, I can control the amount of kick and toms that goes to the subwoofer.

Problem: sometimes, the kick and tom come through the Main Out L and R, even though they are routed to the Sub 1 Out in the Registration. Hence, I no longer have control of their volumes. This never happened on the T5. What's going on here? Shouldn't I be able to isolate the kick and tom output volumes for ALL Genos styles? These are all factory styles where this happens - not custom styles or third party styles. The only thing I can think of is, there could be some cross channel bleeding going on with my SoundCraft mixer, but then the problem would occur with all styles, not just a few.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline mcbrown

Re: Kick drum in Sub 1 out
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 07:52:57 AM »
Hi Lee,
I am looking at directing the kick drum, bass and possibly the tom to the two subs (Behringer B1200D Pro) on one of the aux outs in mono format. This will take the low levels away from the two MAUI 28 G2's which only have two 8" woofers in each sub which will make it more efficient. There is a lot of info on the web in regard to how best set this up as there are some pitfalls to be aware of. There are also some who say its a waste of time unless you are doing large stage productions.

https://www.prosoundweb.com/topics/sound_reinforcement/a_detailed_explanation_of_the_aux_fed_subwoofer_technique/

I will be interested to see what is causing your issues at the moment as I do not know as I have not yet put the idea into action.

Murray
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 09:38:56 AM by mcbrown »
Genos + MS01, TouchMix 30 Dig Mixer, Fender Strat & Tele, Cole Clark FL3, Music Man 210 75 and Behringer: FCB1010, B1200D Subs x 2 & B205D f/b spkrs x4, Boss: GT-1 Guitar Fx, Roland: GR-55 Guitar Synth, MAUI 28 G2 & 5 GO x2, Korg EK-50L Arranger, Zoom L-8

Re: Kick drum in Sub 1 out
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 01:50:18 PM »
Thanks for the info, Murray.

I'm looking at the possibility that the anomaly may be with the audio styles that Yamaha converted to MIDI for the Genos. With the audio styles on the T5, you couldn't isolate the kick, toms, or any other drum or cymbal - one of the huge drawbacks to audio styles and why I think they were a dismal failure. I'll look into this further and post back.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.