Author Topic: User memory on T5?  (Read 6620 times)

Offline Toril S

User memory on T5?
« on: December 07, 2018, 10:07:54 PM »
Hello :) I am glued to my new T5! Love it!!! But it seems that the user drive is even smaller than on my S970? Is that correct?
I know I have the hard drive, but just wondered. The keyboard goes automatically to user section when I want to save something, and then give me the message that there is not enough space in the drive.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Dick Rector

Re: User memory on T5?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 11:12:16 PM »
Hi Toril, congrats on your new toy. I understand you bought it almost new so..... did the previous owner loaded 'packs' in the user-area or a lot of stuff you don't know of? There should be plenty of free working-space.

Greetings from Bali
Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

The following users thanked this post: Toril S

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 11:41:42 PM »
Thanks, Dick! I am really pleased with it. It was empty when I got it. No packs, no regs, nothing! Suits me fine.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 12:28:04 AM »
Hi Toril,

Congratulations on your new toy  :)   Christmas has come a little early in Norway!

Regarding the User drive on the T5, it is very small (only around 6.7 MB), but is actually the largest of all the Tyros models!  It is about half the size of the User drive on the S970.

I try to use the User drive on my Tyros4 (which is even smaller at 6 MB) just as a temporary 'work space' for creating or modifying styles etc. and use the hard disk for permanent storage.  At least that is the intention, but being lazy I do leave stuff on the User drive for longer than intended and occasionally have to 'clear it out'!  ::)

When you save files from within Style Creator, Song Creator etc., the selection screen will open at the User drive, but you should be able to tab to the HDD or USB (if one is connected) and save there instead.

If you want to get a clearer picture of what files are saved in the User drive, I suggest that you download Yamaha's 'Musicsoft Downloader' program for PC  (link:  https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/msd_win_kbd.html  ).

If you connect the T5 to your computer  by USB, this program will show you the contents of the User drive in a similar way to Windows Explorer with files on your computer.  This will not 'filter' the listed files in the same way that the selection screens on the T5 do, so you can see everything at once.  You can use the program to manage the files if you want to, although you can't see the T5's internal hard drive with the program so you can't move files to the HDD with it.  However even if you would rather do the actual file management on the T5 itself, it is still very useful to be able to see the 'full picture' regarding the state of the User drive.

Does your T5 have any expansion memory fitted?  Unlike the S970 there is none built in by default.  You will need some if you want to use any expansion packs or create your own custom expansion voices using YEM.

Have fun (and don't forget to walk the dogs)!   ;)

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 01:11:56 AM by tyrosaurus »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 12:48:21 AM »
Thanks Ian😀🌲 I have a tendency to fill up data space! There is no expansion card fitted to my Tyros, but it was in such good condition that I bought it with a gasp of wonder! It looks like it just came out of the factory. And I love it!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 01:30:29 AM »
If you connect the T5 to your computer  by USB, this program will show you the contents of the User drive in a similar way to Windows Explorer with files on your computer.  This will not 'filter' the listed files in the same way that the selection screens on the T5 do, so you can see everything at once.  You can use the program to manage the files if you want to, although you can't see the T5's internal hard drive with the program so you can't move files to the HDD with it.  However even if you would rather do the actual file management on the T5 itself, it is still very useful to be able to see the 'full picture' regarding the state of the User drive.

Are you sure?

On a T4, connecting in "USB Storage Mode" shows the contents of the hard drive (HD1), not the User drive.

On a Genos, connecting in this manner does show the contents of the User drive.

But I would have thought the T5 operated like the T4, not the Genos.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 01:55:46 AM »
Toril

Congrats again on your new T5.   It is a wonderful instrument.

You already discovered the user area and the hard drive (HD), great. !!!

On T5 i used the user area only as a working area and then i transferred ALL finished products to the hard drive.   You need to decide on how to organize your files in the HD.    Several people had different ways of organizing.

For me the organization that has worked over the years is to create individual folders in the HD. Each folder containing the respective finished product:

- REGISTRATIONS
- EXTERNAL STYLES
- EXTERNAL MULTIPADS
- MIDI FILES
- EXTERNAL VOICES

Because of this organization, i only used the user area as a temporary working area and then transfer the finished product to the corresponding folder.

To me this is a good way because everything within each folder is automatically in alpha order and then i can find anything very quickly.  Of course if needed you could have sub-folders within each folder.  For example within the External Styles folder i have sub-folders by genre.

I am sure you will find the best way to organize your finished products in a manner that works for you.

Have a great day.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 04:16:58 AM »
Are you sure?

On a T4, connecting in "USB Storage Mode" shows the contents of the hard drive (HD1), not the User drive.

On a Genos, connecting in this manner does show the contents of the User drive.

But I would have thought the T5 operated like the T4, not the Genos.

Fred

Hi Fred,

Where did I refer to connecting the keyboard and computer in 'USB Storage Mode'?

I was talking about using the 'Musicsoft Downloader' program, and obviously in order for the program to 'see' the keyboard, the two must be connected, but in normal 'MIDI' mode and not in 'USB Storage Mode'.

However I was mistaken when I said that the program did not show the internal HD on a Tyros!  I have just checked with my T4 and it is listed along with the User drive and any connected USBs.

When a Tyros4 or 5 are connected in 'USB Storage Mode', only the internal hard drive is 'mounted' on the computer.  The User drive and connected USBs can't be seen.

I consider the Musicsoft Downloader program to be very useful for 'troubleshooting' the User drive,  and it is worth keeping a copy in your 'toolbox' just to see the drive's contents more easily than using the keyboard's selection screens.  However it is not very fast in operation so you probably wouldn't want to do any serious housekeeping with it!

The program also shows the 'Available Space' remaining on the drives, which could also be useful for PSR owners since as far as I know, this can't be seen from the keyboard display.

Regards

Ian

Offline Toril S

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 10:09:16 AM »
Thanks again Ian, Al and Fred. I am so very happy with my T5😀🌲
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 12:59:59 PM »
Hi Toril ,
  The user drive is smaller on Tyros than the PSR series because you don't have pack access save to it. That is saved on your hard drive. I use my user drive as a work bench for anything I am working on. When complete I save it on my hard drive  and then delete from User.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 01:13:17 PM »
Thanks Eileen. I am so pleased with my Tyros 5!!!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 12:36:14 PM »
The user drive is smaller on Tyros than the PSR series because you don't have pack access save to it. That is saved on your hard drive. I use my user drive as a work bench for anything I am working on. When complete I save it on my hard drive  and then delete from User.

Yes this is a big advantage. On PSR-S, you can hit a limit on the number of voices you can import from packs in YEM because the voice and style files are stored in User. That doesn't happen on Tyros (which used HD instead) so you can have as many voices and styles as will fit into the expansion board.

I don't have anything in User, it's all on HD or USB.
Genos

Offline Toril S

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 03:38:51 PM »
Thanks DerekA😀 It is an advantage for me that I have large storage space for styles on the hard drive. When I am out playing it is easy to forget to take a memory stick with you, so I feel safe having space on the keyboard to store a copy of the styles I use the most!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline alans

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 06:01:57 PM »
Hi Toril

If you wanted you could fit a small USB drive and leave it fitted ,that way you would always have it on the keyboard,the small ones do not project out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cruzer-Fit-Flash-Drive-SDCZ33-032G-B35/dp/B00812F7O8/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1544464525&sr=1-1&keywords=cruzer+fit

Alan

Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Offline Toril S

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 06:29:54 PM »
Thanks Al. I have one. Good idea😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.