Author Topic: Saving to USR  (Read 6950 times)

Offline Duurduur

Saving to USR
« on: December 07, 2018, 07:51:09 PM »
If I save to an USR file are all the registration banks (8) included? Even if they are empty. I'm using a Yamaha PSR E463.
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463
Logitech Z623 Speakersystem

SeaGtGruff

Re: Saving to USR
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 07:13:50 AM »
I haven't studied the USR files of the PSR-E463/PSR-EW410, but the BUP and USR files of the PSR-E/YPT models that I've studied do not save sections which have no User data saved to them. A USR file is divided into different sections-- a header section which contains important information about the USR file, a User Songs section which contains any User Songs that have been recorded and information about them, a User Registrations section which contains any User Registrations that have been saved, and a User Styles section which contains any external styles that have been registered for use. If no User Registrations have been saved, then the User Registrations section will usually be omitted from the file; whereas if even just one User Registration has been saved, then all Registrations in all Registration Banks will be included in the file. But this behavior might vary for some models.

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 01:27:07 PM »
Thank for your answer.
Your last sentence of the answer maybe is the most reasonable. I think I have to try it myself to see what's happening if I restore the USR files. Because I have almost all banks full of registrations I made for songs I'm learning. It took me a lot of time do so I do not not want to lose them. I want to save them when I'm ready learning the songs and start with others.
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 08:54:23 PM »
Be careful restoring!

Save your current Registrations first!

One important thing to beware of is that when a USR section was omitted because nothing had been saved to that area of memory (User Songs, Registrations, or User Styles), the keyboard will erase any existing data when it loads that USR file!

In other words, a "missing section" in the USR file means "clear that section," not "leave that section alone" when the USR file is loaded!

For example, if you had a USR file that had the header section but none of the other data sections-- no User Songs, no Registrations, and no User Styles-- loading that USR file into memory would be the equivalent of doing a "factory reset" to clear all of the system memory (I think the manual refers to it as a "Backup Clear" or something like that). It will not clear the internal flash memory that holds any song files or style files that you've transferred to the keyboard using Yamaha's MusicSoft Downloader program, which is done using a separate operation ("Flash Clear"), but it will erase any User Songs and User Styles (the styles you've "loaded" so you can play them, or what earlier models referred to as "registering" a style file).

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 05:04:12 PM »
Yes if you save now what you have on the organ Yamaha PSR-E463 a .USR with any of the names from USER001 to USER100, you will save all the custom rhythms + sounds saved in the 32 places in the Registration Memory at the moment .

Let's say you save a USR now, by holding down the FUNCTION button a little longer then from the Save USR function, press EXECUTE and save USER001.

More than sure, the simple sound will not be saved in the respective USER001.USR, otherwise you will find in it what you want, that is, the stored sounds and the 10 personal rhythms.

You will find this USER001.USR in the USB flash drive in the USER FILES folder

Do you realize that you can have 100 sets for Yamaha PSR-E463 ... at hand ... in the USB stick ??? Each .USR loads very fast ... about 20 seconds maximum at any of the USER.USR ... no matter how many rhythms or what kind of rhythms or sounds it contains ...

PS Sorry for my english !!!

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 06:05:58 PM »
I understand what you mean but  how about the 100 sets of USR files? How did you get this number? And one never know what's inside the USR file because they only have a number.
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 09:15:16 PM »
If we leave aside the sample sound and organize a USR  , with 32 combined sounds, customized from the Yamaha PSR-E463 organ and 10 electronic music rhythms, loaded from the stick or computer ... we save it for USER001 to say ...

Then we reset Yamaha PSR-E463 organ and we load another 10 rhythms of oriental music , after which we arrange / combine another 32 sounds with oriental specificity in Registration Memory and save as USER002 ...

This cannot be equivalent to two sets , one of electronic music and another oriental ???

From the moment we can save on a stick ... from USER001 to USER100 ... can't it be said that you can get 100 sets ??? That's what I thought 1 USER = 1 SET (of course dedicated SETS for Yamaha PSR-E463)

Offline SciNote

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 05:39:24 AM »
If the PSR-E463 works like my E433, then you can have up to 100 USR files on each flash drive.  This number comes from the way the keyboard is designed.  When saving or loading a USR file, you do not type the USR file name on some sort of virtual keyboard or anything like that -- nor can you type the USR file number on the numeric keyboard.  You use the data wheel to select the name (or more precisely, the file number) of the USR file, and you can choose file numbers from 001 through 100.  Therefore, there can be up to 100 unique USR files on any one flash drive.

When you save a USR file, the file will have all the data for the 32 registrations, the styles loaded in memory, and all the multi-track sequencer user songs stored in memory at the time that you store the USR file (I believe these keyboards can also store MIDI files in a separate section of memory, and if so, I don't believe they are saved or loaded when saving/loading USR files -- I believe they use separate operations -- but check this to make sure).

Again, I have the E433 -- the E463 has sampling data as well as data for tunable scales -- I do not know if this information is saved in a USR file for the E463, but I would guess that it is.  And yes, whenever you load a USR file from a flash drive to the keyboard's memory, you will lose whatever registrations, loaded styles, and user songs (and possibly sampling and tunable scale data) that was already there, and it will be replaced by whatever is in the new USR file that you just loaded.  So always make sure you back up anything important that you want to save.

As 100 USR files can be saved on a flash drive, you can easily set up different USR files to accommodate different genres of music or different songs.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 05:41:33 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios