Author Topic: Is there an insertion effect that will create sustain ?  (Read 2590 times)

Offline reya

Is there an insertion effect that will create sustain ?
« on: December 06, 2018, 03:41:27 PM »
Hi all,

I wonder if anybody knows of a way to apply sustain by using an insertion effect ??

Why I am asking?
Well there are two cases where I think I would use it

1) to add a specific amount of sustain to flute organ voices.
Currently the 'normal' sustain can be applied to those flute organ voices, but contrary to all other types of voices, it seems the amount of sustain cannot be specified for organ flutes. And the default amount is too much for my liking.
So if I could do it my means of an insertion effect, I would have control over the amount.

2) I sometimes use bass pedals to play bass voices. In that case I use voice 3 for the pedals.
Voices 1 (and 2) are for my right hand.
Now most of the time, I want some sustain on that bass (pedal) voice. While I sometimes want to be able to controll sustain on the right hand voices by using a sustain pedal
So I would apply normal sustain on those right hand voices and insertion effect sustain to the bass pedal voice 3

Thanks in advance!

Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: Is there an insertion effect that will create sustain ?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 03:50:51 PM »
You can Adjust the Sustain from the Voice Set.

It's panel sustain

I'm not sure about Pedal sustain levels.
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 04:03:32 PM »
So the problem is that on Organ Flutes, the Voice Set pages do not let you change the sustain amount. This is different from all the other panel voices.

I don't believe there is a sustain insertion effect.

The closest you'd get is using a reverb insertion effect, and carefully tweaking the effect parameters.

The data manual does suggest that MIDI control change 64 is the sustain level. If you have an external controller you could send a CC64 message and see if it affected Organ Flutes. Or as an experiment, record a MIDI file, add in CC64 message and see how it sounds.
Genos

Offline panos

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 04:21:21 PM »
I don't use pedal,that's why I prefer the "release" effect on voices so the sound will "die" slowly and not immediately.

https://www.reasonexperts.com/attack-decay-sustain-and-release.html

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 06:09:58 PM »
Hi --

I agree with Panos. Try increasing (or decreasing) the Release parameter in Voice Set.

I sometimes use long release time as a substitute for reverb or as a way to smooth out the sound when playing legato (especially organ).

All the best -- pj

Offline pieterpan

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 06:17:13 PM »
Hi,

MixMaster allow you to insert and/or manage sustain, value and release time for each track or voice.

Regards <> Piet
Yamaha Tyros 4 - Yamaha KX 25 - Gem WSII module

Offline reya

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 08:38:25 AM »
Thanks everyone for responding !

I have experimented a bit with the 'release' setting, and it's definitely a big step in the right direction! So I think I will be using that!

Thanks again!

Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

tyrosman

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 10:20:58 PM »
hi there Rudy that is the way to go release is the way to go it is also good for piano :)