Author Topic: Wireless Headphones  (Read 11944 times)

Offline spiro13

Wireless Headphones
« on: December 06, 2018, 03:56:08 AM »
Hi

I would like to use wireless headphones with my DGX 660. Has anyone done this or know if it can be done? I would like some suggestions on how to accomplish it.

Thank you,

Tony

Offline mikf

Re: Wireless Headphones
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 05:12:43 AM »
Most wireless headphones are Bluetooth and have latency .. i.e. the sound reaches your ears a fraction after it is created, which is not noticeable when listening to recordings or radio. But it’s useless for live playing because what you play and what you hear will be out of sync.
There may be wireless systems that do not have this latency, and maybe someone else will comment on that, but at the very least you need to test the headphones while actually playing a keyboard, to make sure there is no latency and not just listen to recorded music through them in the store.
Mike

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 07:49:07 AM »
There is confusion with the words Wireless & Bluetooth as they are not the same product.
German WELLTECH Wireless Headphones (not bluetooth) Initially purchased for wife's TV as her hearing is poor, at £20 from LIDL I was not expecting a great sound but in fact these out perform my expensive Sennheiser Pro's with clean detailed mids & very low tight bass.
When wife's not using them I use Wireless headphones on my T2. No latency with these and perform very well and take the signal from the T2 headphones socket. When not using they sit on a charging base station.
DGX670

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 01:03:32 PM »
You can use a headphone that use radio frequencys. They are still available but harder to find.
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463
Logitech Z623 Speakersystem

Offline spiro13

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 09:19:10 PM »
Graham

If I understand you correctly, RF Headphones will work using an adapter in the Headphones output on the back of the Keyboard to connect RCA jacks to the transmitter/charging base.

Tony

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 11:41:23 PM »
That's correct. I'm using such a headphone myself and it works without latency.
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463
Logitech Z623 Speakersystem

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 12:37:02 AM »
There is confusion with the words Wireless & Bluetooth as they are not the same product.

Not sure there is confusion, but bluetooth is so dominating the market its just hard to find anything else. I went into a store that had about 50 different types of headphones, maybe 2/3 of them were wireless, and every one of those was bluetooth. I finally decided that the wire was no big deal when I am sitting at a keyboard, ad stopped searching for suitable wireless..
Another thing to watch out for is battery leaking on wireless or noise cancelling phones. My wife bought me an expensive pair of Bose noise cancelling phones, and I left them at our place in the UK. When I went back some months later the batteries had leaked and ruined the phones.
You are lucky to have found a good pair of wireless phones for only 20pounds, and re chargeable into the bargain. In LIDL of all places. For people here in the USA that have never heard of LIDL, its really a budget grocery chain. Sometimes they have most surprising things, -- then never have them again ;D
Mike   

Offline spiro13

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 02:02:07 AM »
I did a search and there are several Wireless RF Headphones on Amazon along with the proper adapters.

Thank you all for helping with this project.

Tony

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 10:14:13 AM »
Not sure there is confusion, but bluetooth is so dominating the market its just hard to find anything else. I went into a store that had about 50 different types of headphones, maybe 2/3 of them were wireless, and every one of those was bluetooth. I finally decided that the wire was no big deal when I am sitting at a keyboard, ad stopped searching for suitable wireless..
Another thing to watch out for is battery leaking on wireless or noise cancelling phones. My wife bought me an expensive pair of Bose noise cancelling phones, and I left them at our place in the UK. When I went back some months later the batteries had leaked and ruined the phones.
You are lucky to have found a good pair of wireless phones for only 20pounds, and re chargeable into the bargain. In LIDL of all places. For people here in the USA that have never heard of LIDL, its really a budget grocery chain. Sometimes they have most surprising things, -- then never have them again ;D
Mike

Well Lidl is a German company and, true, they sell mainly groceries at discount price, but on a regular basis they have one-time offers for all kind of goods at unbeatable prices, which are usually quite reliable because it is all Made in Germany.

Regards,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 01:16:20 PM »
Bluetooth headphones are no good if the keyboard has no Bluetooth availability.
DGX670

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 05:34:31 PM »
From what I've read in this thread and in other places online, I really don't understand why Bluetooth is such a huge success in the marketplace, because it seems like wireless audio that uses RF is vastly superior to Bluetooth in terms of latency, range, and the reliability of the connection.

Offline mikf

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 10:39:10 PM »
From what I've read in this thread and in other places online, I really don't understand why Bluetooth is such a huge success .......
Bluetooth is popular because it is a tight standard for wireless which means manufacturers can build it into their device and know it will work interchangeably with other devices. And it’s designed for low power, short range, low interference, which are pretty desirable.   It has tradeoffs but works pretty well for most popular devices.
Most RF defices would be proprietary and not plug and play.
To Graham’s point, Bluetooth phones won’t work unless the keyboard has Bluetooth capability but that is easily circumvented by plugging an external Bluetooth receiver into the keyboard socket, just like you do for RF.

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 01:04:43 PM »
SeaGtGruff. Great reply. I second that.

The wording Wireless & Bluetooth naming is still confusion to many people.

DGX670

Offline mikf

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 03:22:58 PM »
All Bluetooth devices are wireless, but not all wireless devices are Bluetooth. However, in common language sometimes the popularity of one specific embodiment means the name becomes interchangeable with the generic term. Same thing happened in the UK with ‘vacuum cleaner’ and ‘Hoover’ and in France with ‘camera’ and ‘Kodak’.
Mike