Author Topic: Several Newbie questions on PSR e463 functions.  (Read 6874 times)

dman68

Several Newbie questions on PSR e463 functions.
« on: December 05, 2018, 08:04:46 PM »
Hi All :)  I am a total, 100% newbie to keyboards. I did play the piano a bit in my teen years (Beatles Era) Ha, yep i'm old (68) and glad to be here. I just recently ordered a 463 for one of my hobbies since my retirement earlier this year. Many, many questions are surfacing that I just don't get from the owners manual.  Here are a couple regarding using a connection from my Windows PC to the 463 via either headphone jack, or Aux In jack for playing music from PC to the keyboard.......

1...If i want to play a song stored on a usb stick,>> to the 463 and play-along on the keyboard,  how is this accomplished without the song volume over-riding the keyboard volume?  Is there a means of controlling the incoming volume from the usb stick via some function in the keyboard menu?

2...Can a portion of a .wav file be captured, saved and used as a Style on the 463?

Thanks ;)

SeaGtGruff

Re: Several Newbie questions on PSR e463 functions.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 06:33:06 AM »
(1) Yes, there are separate settings in the Function menu that let you adjust (a) the overall volume of the style being used, (b) the overall volume of the MIDI song file being played, (c) the overall volume of the groove pattern being used, (d) the overall volume of any audio coming in through the AUX IN connection, (e) the overall volume of any audio coming in through the two USB ports, and (f) the individual volumes of the Main Voice, Dual Voice, and Split Voice. Note that you cannot adjust the individual channels of a style, song, pattern, or incoming audio signal, only their overall volumes. Once you've got the balance the way you want between the volume of the keyboard's voices and the volume of everything else, you can use the MASTER VOLUME knob to adjust the total volume.

(2) No, the PSR-E463 does not have the ability to play "audio styles" similar to some Yamaha models. You can play along to a pre-recorded audio accompaniment if you want, but the keyboard doesn't have the ability to let you control the audio playback the way you can control a style, switching between different keys and chord types, or alternating between different loops and fill-ins and variations.

dman68

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 02:57:32 PM »
(1) Yes, there are separate settings in the Function menu that let you adjust (a) the overall volume of the style being used, (b) the overall volume of the MIDI song file being played, (c) the overall volume of the groove pattern being used, (d) the overall volume of any audio coming in through the AUX IN connection, (e) the overall volume of any audio coming in through the two USB ports, and (f) the individual volumes of the Main Voice, Dual Voice, and Split Voice. Note that you cannot adjust the individual channels of a style, song, pattern, or incoming audio signal, only their overall volumes. Once you've got the balance the way you want between the volume of the keyboard's voices and the volume of everything else, you can use the MASTER VOLUME knob to adjust the total volume.

(2) No, the PSR-E463 does not have the ability to play "audio styles" similar to some Yamaha models. You can play along to a pre-recorded audio accompaniment if you want, but the keyboard doesn't have the ability to let you control the audio playback the way you can control a style, switching between different keys and chord types, or alternating between different loops and fill-ins and variations.

Thank you Michael, this answers the questions. Just out of curiosity, are any of the PSR's capable of doing this as ask in question #2?

Thanks again  :)

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 03:53:25 PM »
Hello

A key feature of a style, as opposed to simple wav playback, is that it automatically pitch shifts as you change the chord you are playing.

None of the PSR-S, Tyros or Genos can take a wav file and make a proper 'pitch shifting' style out of it.

They can create 'audio styles' but these are styles where only the rhythm part(s) are audio clips, and therefore don't need to pitch shift like the other parts.

They can also create 'audio multipads' which are stored wav files that can be triggered by pressing a panel button. But again, they don't pitch shift.
Genos

dman68

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 06:26:07 PM »
Hello

A key feature of a style, as opposed to simple wav playback, is that it automatically pitch shifts as you change the chord you are playing.

None of the PSR-S, Tyros or Genos can take a wav file and make a proper 'pitch shifting' style out of it.

They can create 'audio styles' but these are styles where only the rhythm part(s) are audio clips, and therefore don't need to pitch shift like the other parts.

They can also create 'audio multipads' which are stored wav files that can be triggered by pressing a panel button. But again, they don't pitch shift.

Thanks DerekA, much appreciated :)

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 06:45:38 PM »
If you connect your PSR-E463 to a smart phone, tablet, laptop, or computer then you could use apps to play audio clips or loops and send the sound to the keyboard. You would not be able to trigger them from the keyboard's panel controls the way you would control a style's playback, but would have to trigger them from the app.

dman68

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 08:03:34 PM »
Thank you Michael ;)