Author Topic: Separating style parts to send to daw for mixing  (Read 3632 times)

chet808

Separating style parts to send to daw for mixing
« on: December 03, 2018, 07:47:31 AM »
Hi just wanted to know if you can send I style to a daw and separate the parts to mix . And if so can someone get me started with the instructions on how to go about this. I am trying to send the individual style parts to my daw add live instruments and vocals and mix down is this possible?

SeaGtGruff

Re: Separating style parts to send to daw for mixing
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 08:22:40 AM »
Yes, when you send the keyboard's MIDI output of a style to a DAW, each of the style's parts is sent on a different MIDI channel.

Any specifics about the steps and setting up the MIDI tracks in the DAW will vary depending on the DAW. Which DAW do you use?

chet808

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 08:42:05 AM »
I’m using studio one artist just starting off in trying to record tracks

chet808

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 08:49:23 AM »
Sorry forgot to tell you artist one is a presaunad daw thank you for your help I’m kinda lost trying to figure out this midi set up lol

chet808

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 08:50:13 AM »
I meant presaunas

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 09:21:05 AM »
Although it isn't my primary DAW, I do have PreSonus Studio One Prime-- the free "lite" edition of Studio One-- so I'm somewhat familiar with it.

By the way, I just realized that you most likely want to record the audio from the separate style parts to their own individual audio tracks, not the MIDI data from the style parts. Is that correct?

Also, are you trying to record yourself playing the keyboard and styles live, or are you making a MIDI song recording on the keyboard first?

The keyboard's audio output normally combines all of the parts being played into a single pair of left and right (i.e., stereo) audio channels, so you can't record each part to its own audio track that way. Instead, you need to send and record each part one at a time so you can make an individual audio track for each part.

The easiest way to do that is to record a MIDI song on the keyboard first, then play back the recording but turn off all of the tracks except the one you want to record, then repeat that process as many times as needed for each and every track (or MIDI channel).

chet808

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 09:49:18 AM »
Ok yes I’m trying to find a way to play the parts into the daw and have them separated so I can individually mix each track. I’m not good at playing all the backing parts so I just wanted to use a style. Then add vocals and other live instruments . Mainly I want the rhythm parts. So then I can practice mixing tracks etc. I’ve been just playing the style live l and r in to tracks but I’d like to be able to adjust my mix on the daw hope this makes sense lol

chet808

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 09:55:31 AM »
I think I get what you are saying so I record the song on my keyboard then play it back to the daw and turn of the other tracks and do each one separate is that right? Can you walk me through this process on the keyboard never used the sequencer only play live.
Thank you for your help

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 07:33:41 AM »
Sorry for not replying sooner. Yes, that is the gist of what I was suggesting. This is mainly because of a wrinkle in the Studio One DAW.

Without going into too much detail, Studio One doesn't let you work with SysEx MIDI messages, which Yamaha (and other keyboard makers) use for things like selecting which Reverb Type, Chorus Type, and DSP Type to use, as well as other things. Studio One is not alone in this-- Ableton Live is the same way, as well as Acoustica Mixcraft (which is my personal favorite DAW).

What this means is you will want to play back the MIDI on your keyboard, rather than transferring it into Studio One and then playing it back from there. (The only reason I mention transferring the MIDI into a DAW to be played back from there is because in most DAWs it is very simple to "solo" a particular track, meaning to mute all of the other tracks except for the one you want to work on.) So you will want to play back the MIDI recording on your keyboard and use the controls and functions on your keyboard to mute all of the tracks (or channels) except for the specific one whose audio you want to record in the DAW.

I do not have any of the PSR-S models, so I'm not very familiar with their controls. Which model do you have, so I can look at its manuals to see?

chet808

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 09:45:49 PM »
Thank you I really appreciate your help. I have both a s910 and s970 I use the s970 mostly. I am also wondering if I try sending track by track to my DAW like you mentioned above, will I have any issues with syncing all the tracks together? sorry if for all the questions but I'm really new to this and just trying to figure out how these things are done.

thank you