Author Topic: EQ GOLD settings for me  (Read 13275 times)

Mike2

EQ GOLD settings for me
« on: November 26, 2018, 11:21:18 AM »
I know this topic about the EQ settings has been talked about quite a bit. I have read the previous post, and frankly, I can't understand anything from these advanced graphs showing sign waves going all over the place. I purchased the YEM Epic Strings this past Saturday, and saw the EQ Gold setting. So I compared mine to the chart, and I was as far off in comparison to those settings. I set my EQ settings according to the chart, and the biggest improvement for me was setting the compressor on Natural. I play at home mostly in my 12 x 14 room, and now the keyboard sounds feel like they are closer to me. And not as sharp etc. I was happy before, but it sounded nothing like this. I play liturgical music, so I will find out how it sounds in the church this morning. The strings are absolutely incredible. All my registrations, sound so much better. I'm very impressed. With that being said, and understanding that EQ settings will differ from one player to another, and the place that you are playing. I'm surprised that there isn't a few recommended settings, that one could copy to see if one is better than the other. For me the EQ Gold made it sound like a different keyboard, and I loved playing, but with these settings, and I read that some say they are not accurate, I'll stay with them, until I see a different EQ setting to try. The Genos is a great keyboard, and every improvement done by yourself, makes it so much more enjoyable. Thanks for all the information.
Mike..

Offline Fred Smith

Re: EQ GOLD settings for me
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 11:27:25 AM »
So what are the EQ Gold settings?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Pianoman

Online EileenL

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 11:44:19 AM »
Hi Mike,
  Why not share so other members can try the EQ settings.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 11:59:32 AM »
Hi Eileen

They are downlaodable from Soundpacks.

I am finding now that compression natural and Eq flat is the way to go for recording

You can use enhancements for playing  to your taste In your room like gold or whatever.
 Well  Eileen, I am getting along with Cubase 10 and the mixing is coming on strong now. Still miles to go.
Have emersed myself in all the jargon, but still paracticing all the time.

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 12:06:14 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline reya

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 12:14:40 PM »
There was a post on the subject some time ago ..

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,42556.msg336169.html#msg336169

Personally I am not in favour of adding 12dB in any range.
A 12 dB increase = 16 fold  of volume compared to uncorrected ranges
Especially in the lowest frequencies the riscs of making the speaker work way too hard is substancial, and may lead to malfunction

Just my opinion ...

Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 01:13:24 PM »
Agreed, Rudy!! If you need to add or subtract 12 dB of any frequency, then you're either playing in a terrible room or your speakers need to become boat anchors  ;D.

On occasion, I have seen a sound operator pull an offending frequency down that far to control feedback or boom in the bass. At the same time, that is on a 128 band EQ device, which means it's one very narrow frequency that is the culprit. An example would be in a permanent sound system installation for a large theater.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Mike2

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 01:15:24 PM »
Here is the link with the EQ Gold settings.
There is information and 2 charts.

https://www.soundpacks.co.uk/blogs/news/eq-settings-for-genos

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Mike2

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 01:21:34 PM »
This is an explanation of the feedback regarding the EQ Gold.

We wanted to offer a little update to the feature we did on the EQ setting for the Genos. We have had a few emails from Genos owners asking about the settings we provided and asking if they are correct.

If you are playing an arranger keyboard at home, the key element you should be searching for is a sound that YOU like. The tutorial we featured below adds brightness and warmth to the overall sound on the Genos.

If this instrument were in a studio and being used to record the next chart hit - then it would be a different story, but for those of you who play these at home and like a warm tone, then the settings we have given are great and can help you to get a nice sound from your keyboard.

We have had endless emails from owners saying how great the keyboard now sounds thanks to the changes we have given.

Whilst we are pleased that this has made a difference, we also point out that everyone's hearing is set at different standards. As we get older, we start to lose the ability to hear the higher frequencies. Adding brightness to the EQ with the higher frequencies, give these a boost and help you to gain back the sound you love.

Out of the box the Genos comes flat as standard, and if you are of an older generation, you really will benefit from the settings in the EQ tutorial further down this page.

We also would like to point out that the settings also depend on the speakers that you are using. For example if you use a PA speaker system, you will find that you need to boost some of the mid frequencies depending on the size and make of the speakers you use, where some other speakers, may be too bright and hard to listen to for long periods.

If you are using the Genos speaker system, you will again, find our settings below very useful and will benefit from the deeper, richer sound.

The sound of your instrument is very personal, and just like picking a set of headphones, what is right for you may not be right for someone else, so experiment and adjust to suit your own ears.

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 01:27:25 PM »
Rudy. I completely agree...12db increase will push the keyboards pre-amp into distortion and not recommended.
Same reason that R1 .R2 or R3 are very often set too high at volume 127 which means the the ACC Style parts need reducing rather than increasing the melody parts.
A lot of 3rd party styles I have to adjust as volumes are often set too high.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 01:28:27 PM by Graham UK »
DGX670

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 02:11:41 PM »
Interesting, Mike2. Looking at the linked picture of EQ settings, I see a 12 dB boost at 32 Hz. That's more than enough to destroy a $600, 15 inch subwoofer driver made by RCF, Eminence, or B&C!

But like you said, EQ settings must be made according to one's ears, speakers , and room :). I will give your settings a try, save for the extreme at 32 Hz. I'm using two Bose Compacts, but I add a 15 inch sub of my own design for the larger venues. Thanks for the info.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Mike2

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 02:38:18 PM »
Lee, I set the gain form 12 db to 8db and I don't see a dramatic change. I use the Lucas Nano 300 and set the bass at 12 o clock. If I increase the bass I can see a difference. So my question, is what setting should the gain be set at, in your opinion. And can you just adjust the bass for this gain. Maybe a dumb question, but I'm not an EQ expert. But I can see the difference, in what my old settings were. Plus playing in the natural comp mode, makes a difference to me.

Offline zionip

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 03:48:49 PM »
Hi Mike,

I tried the "EQ GOLD" setting - it works fine with the GNS-MS01 2.1 speaker system for Genos, resulting a more in-your-face sound properties when compared with the factory "FLAT" setting.  I have not experienced the mentioned possible distortion associated with the 12 dB boost at 32 Hz.

I have not tested the "EQ GOLD" setting with the Yamaha HS8 speakers yet.

Thanks,
Paul

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 04:09:56 PM »
Hi guys,

I just tried the EQ Gold settings with my Bose Compacts, no sub. It does make a huge difference! Paul describes it best - more "in your face," especially at lower levels. I set the 32 Hz to 0 dB. That's the only difference. It really does sound good! Thanks for the settings, Mike2 :).

I too own the HS8 monitors. I haven't tried it there because I'm practicing through my Bose for a large Christmas show this weekend. I'll try the HS8 monitors at a later date.

Offline panos

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 06:41:40 PM »
If it was on a graphic equalizer the settings above would shown as a "V" shape settings which is kind of popular.
Lots of bass and higher frequences in high level I guess make people to like the contrast of hearing well both the bass which can make you feel the beat in your body(the body is used also as a woofer) and the higher frequences.
Is just that if a person hears the high frequences well, by increasing them a lot maybe some sounds will sound kind of disturbing as disturbing is the sound of a siren when these sounds played in the higher octaves.

You can check by yourselves what the Equalizer is doing to the frequences.
For example,go choose let's say a synth sound like the "Club Lead" voice.
Set the high frequency settings of the equalizer to 0db.
Now press the higher key on your right side of the keyboard.
While keep pressing the key increase the high frequency settings to the highest point of 12db.
Now play someting on that octave.
Do you think that the higher octaves really need a boost on high frequences in all voices and in all notes of all parts of all styles?
Or maybe we shall never play on higher octaves?
EQ settings unfortunately not that simple in all cases I'm afraid...pifff  :-\

Offline pjd

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 09:53:17 PM »
EQ settings unfortunately not that simple in all cases I'm afraid...pifff  :-\

The same can be said for master compression, too. Good (appropriate) compression is sensitive to the dynamics of the incoming audio signal and every song is different.

All the best -- pj

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 09:55:31 PM »
Agreed Panos, however, you're talking about very specialized voicing. I never play the synth/dance/EDM stuff so the EQ Gold setting is very suitable for me. You are correct in pointing out that certain EQ curves are totally wrong for some styles of instruments. What I find helpful with the EQ Gold settings is they allow me to me more expressive when backing singers, which is a large part of my Genos playing activity. Now I can be heard but not loud enough to overpower the singer.

I believe we'll sound close to CD quality in live performances. I compared the EQ Gold with the Yamaha Bright setting. When I restore the Genos to the Bright settings, the entire Genos score fades into the background like a beautiful green tree against a forest. It's there but very subdued. Can't wait to try these new settings out at our up coming Christmas show. Report to follow...

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2018, 10:33:28 PM »
thanks. 
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2018, 04:03:45 PM »
I played the large Christmas show last night that I mentioned earlier. I used my Genos to back seven singers. My two Bose Compacts were used for my monitors. The signal was sent in stereo to the main system, which had four JBL full range, 15 inch bass cabinets and four 18 inch subs. The sound was amazing!! The Compressor setting was set to Natural.

The singers were so pleased with how clear they could hear my background playing. The other Yamaha presets are so bland in comparison. Once again, I rendered the 32 Hz frequency to 0 dB - especially with those four 18 inch subs! Think of it this way. The open E string on a bass guitar produces a frequency of approximately 41 Hz. The 32 Hz note is approximately one half octave lower. Unless you're playing modern synth music or EDM, there's no need for such a strong boost at 32 Hz. Even 12 dB is WAY too much.

I'm keeping these settings for all my playing. Even when playing at low volumes in the seniors' venues, they work fine. Many thanks to Mike2 for sharing!!

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2018, 04:44:14 PM »
Hi Lee

Also Flat and Natural for recording

All the best
John :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2018, 06:31:55 PM »
Agreed, John. Use the recording and mastering software for the final output, not the Genos :).

Mike2

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2018, 01:25:19 PM »
Lee, I am glad you enjoy the settings. As far as the 32 hz with a +12, playing at home with small pa Lucas Nano 300, if I cut back on the 32 hz like even down to +10, it doesn't quite sound as good. Maybe I have something else not set right, but there is no over drive of bass at +12 with the EQ Gold.

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 02:04:53 PM »
Good point, Mike2. I'm not sure how low the Lucas Nano 300 speakers can go, but speakers don't go dead at their lowest rated frequency. They "roll off" very slowly or quickly, depending on how the driver was designed, box characteristics, room acoustics...You're probably delaying the low limits of that roll off by boosting the 32 Hz frequency, hence, why it sounds better. I agree there's no harm if you don't hear any distortion or the driver isn't smacking into the grill :).

Once again, thanks for the info! I was skeptical until I tried it...wow, what a difference! Bob and I are doing our first seniors' gig this afternoon with the new settings - a much quieter venue than the large Christmas show we did on the weekend with seven singers. I'll post back the results. I'm sure it will sound fab!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 02:06:51 PM by Lee Batchelor »

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2018, 09:45:56 PM »
We did our Christmas gig with the seniors yesterday. The room was about 35 feet by 50 feet and had about 80 people. The walls were a little reflective and created some echo. The Genos sounded great through the two Bose Compacts while using the EQ Gold setting.

My next gig is in a much larger hall this Friday. I'll be using my sub as well. More to follow....

Offline Chris79

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2018, 06:20:26 PM »
Hi,

Great settings for me but only +6db for 32Hz and +3db for 4khz.

Merry Christmas.

Danilo Tirado

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2019, 08:35:31 AM »
Hi guys,

I just tried the EQ Gold settings with my Bose Compacts, no sub. It does make a huge difference! Paul describes it best - more "in your face," especially at lower levels. I set the 32 Hz to 0 dB. That's the only difference. It really does sound good! Thanks for the settings, Mike2 :).

I too own the HS8 monitors. I haven't tried it there because I'm practicing through my Bose for a large Christmas show this weekend. I'll try the HS8 monitors at a later date.

hello To all, I have 2 compat l1 systems and I'm using my Yamaha GENOS with EQ Golden at the same time I'm using a neumann microphone KMS 105 the first is that I have a lot of highs
and I tell you that I have no problems with 32 Hz +12
And Mike in the text above mentioned that the EQ Golden setting is for the GENOS audio system, and if we are going to use a PA system we increase the mid frequencies , What time do you recommend me?

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2019, 12:30:55 PM »
Hi Danilo,

...I tell you that I have no problems with 32 Hz +12.

You won't have a problem at 32 Hz because the Bose Compacts roll off fairly steep at 65 Hz. They aren't even close to producing 32 Hz, hence, the 32 Hz setting will have no effect. It's us who use subs with our Compacts, who must be careful.

My Genos is packed for a gig but I'll look up my modified EQ GOLD settings when I have the Genos open in my studio again. Neumann? Great gear :)!!

Offline JohnS

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2019, 12:47:20 PM »
And the moral of all the above is:-

DON'T LISTEN TO EXPERTS.

Just my opinion.
John.
I have a Tyros5/76 & Tyros4 SE XL.
My keyboard holds every song ever written. I just have to find them.

Danilo Tirado

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2019, 04:51:25 AM »
Hi Danilo,

You won't have a problem at 32 Hz because the Bose Compacts roll off fairly steep at 65 Hz. They aren't even close to producing 32 Hz, hence, the 32 Hz setting will have no effect. It's us who use subs with our Compacts, who must be careful.

My Genos is packed for a gig but I'll look up my modified EQ GOLD settings when I have the Genos open in my studio again. Neumann? Great gear :)!!

thank you reads for answering, I'll be waiting for you to buy your personalized EQ GOLD configuration

Online EileenL

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2019, 11:53:27 AM »
Soundpacks the company that suggested these settings seems to have disappeared or has shut down.
  I think it is always a case of trying different EQ settings and choosing the one that suits you and the venue you play in.

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2019, 12:39:04 PM »
Soundpacks the company that suggested these settings seems to have disappeared or has shut down. I think it is always a case of trying different EQ settings and choosing the one that suits you and the venue you play in.

Completely agree, Eileen. Getting the EQ settings right in any venue takes a boatload of experience and practice. I've never done this before, but I wonder if when one gets an EQ setting that works for a particular hall, if he or she could store the setting in the Genos. Trouble is, I believe there are only two or three User slots for these settings? If so, perhaps they could be stored on a USB stick and loaded at the gig?

Offline pjd

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2019, 02:34:20 PM »
Hi Lee --

I'm curious about this, too.

Page 118 of the Genos Reference Manual says "Up to two EQ types can be created and saved." The statement is referring to User Master EQ types.

Page 149 of the RM describes how to save the User Master EQ types to a USB file. The User Master EQ types are stored along with User Effect types, User Master Compressor types, User Vocal Harmony Synth Vocoder types and User microphone settings. Thus, the User Master EQ types cannot be stored separately; all five types of data are stored and restored as a single file.

This is OK if one's usage scenario is to store all these settings related to a gig in a single file and then load the file at gig time.

Hope this helps. I'm still trying to find a way to share user effects without messing with other settings, too.

-- pj

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 02:35:24 PM by pjd »

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

Offline panos

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2019, 08:05:17 PM »
If there isn't a way Lee at least you can take some pictures with your selfphone or snapshots of the keyboard's menu.

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2019, 09:31:14 PM »
Great discussion. Time for me to experiment a bit more. I found the EQ Gold setting some years ago (probably from a post on this forum) and have stuck with it since then. I have noticed that some styles with heavy bass do sound a bit distorted. I don't know anything about EQ so I just lived with it but this thread has opened my eyes so Thanks folks.

Regards, Richard

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2019, 10:18:44 PM »
thank you reads for answering, I'll be waiting for you to buy your personalized EQ GOLD configuration

Hi Danilo,

Here are my modified EQ GOLD settings that I use with my two Bose Compacts. I used the special software that came with my Behringer power amp (that I use for my home made subwoofer), to graph the results of these settings. Basically, these settings give a healthy rise in volume from 315 Hz to 5 kHz. Studio producers watch this most critical musical frequency range when doing their final mixing for CDs. It's all yours my friend (and anyone else who wishes these settings). I think you will hear a big difference in all the voices and styles when playing through your Bose Compacts. Enjoy!

[attachment deleted by admin]

The following users thanked this post: pchan

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2019, 01:36:48 AM »
I will try these settings with my Adam Audio T7V speakers.

RL

Danilo Tirado

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2019, 03:05:22 AM »
Hi Danilo,

Here are my modified EQ GOLD settings that I use with my two Bose Compacts. I used the special software that came with my Behringer power amp (that I use for my home made subwoofer), to graph the results of these settings. Basically, these settings give a healthy rise in volume from 315 Hz to 5 kHz. Studio producers watch this most critical musical frequency range when doing their final mixing for CDs. It's all yours my friend (and anyone else who wishes these settings). I think you will hear a big difference in all the voices and styles when playing through your Bose Compacts. Enjoy!
Thanks Lee, I am very grateful to you, I tell you that I had my first presentation with EQ Lee and it sounds great with my Bose boxes ..

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2019, 12:28:17 PM »
Glad to help, guys! Enjoy...