Author Topic: Connect HDMI monitor to PSR-S975, adapter?  (Read 9178 times)

tson

Connect HDMI monitor to PSR-S975, adapter?
« on: November 25, 2018, 01:24:44 AM »
I want to connect a 19” monitor (Best Buy-Insignia) I just purchased for my PSR-S975.  Firstly, I am perplexed as to why Yamaha would equip a 2018 modern arranger with a low resolution 1990’s technology (VGA).  But they did, so I guess I need an adapter of some sort to convert the VGA out to an HDMI in of the monitor.  I bought a VGA to HDMI adapter at Best Buy. (j5 CREATE VGA to HDMI Adapter, Video+Audio.). The instructions of the adapter indicate the USB dongle is for “USB audio,” so I didn’t connect that to anything, but when I connected the PSR and the monitor through the adapter, I got nothing...no signal.

So, any ideas?  I am tempted to connect the USB dongle of the adapter directly to the USB (to device) on the back of the PSR.  However, I dont think that was the intent and I’m concerned about damage.  Do VGA to HDMI adapters need power from some source (like the USB)??  Can I use the USB on the PSR to power this little gadget??  Is there a better adapter that doesn’t need power??

I can’t be the only one that has used an HDMI monitor to mirror the screen of his PSR, so if anyone could give some advice (based on experience), that would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 02:58:15 AM by tson »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline Arnak

Re: Connect HDMI monitor to PSR-S975, adapter?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 12:08:42 PM »
Hi,

I don't have a PSR-S975 but have you set the display output on the keyboard?

Call up the operation display.
[FUNCTION] →  TA B  MENU 1→ [J] UTILITY →  TA B  CONFIG 2

Use the [A]/ buttons to select “1 SPEAKER/DISPLAY OUT.”

Press the [5 ]/[6 ] buttons to select the display contents.
When you select “LYRICS/TEXT,” the connected monitor shows the LYRICS
or TEXT display regardless of what is shown on the instrument’s LCD. When
you select “LCD,” the monitor shows the same contents as shown on the
instrument’s LCD.

Page 98 of the Owners manual.

No, the adapter does not require a power source.

I hope that helps.

Martin

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

tson

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 12:29:14 PM »
Thanks, but yes, I did set the settings to display output.  In regards to power, I am trying to use a VGA to HDMI adapter, and it seems like most of the information on internet regarding VGA-HDMI adapters require power (supplied by USB) to convert the signal, but again, I just don’t know.  (BTW: I am new to the forum and I think I accidentally posted in this “How To” section.  I also posted in the PSR-S975 board as well, once I discovered it.)

Offline Jay B.

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 02:09:02 PM »
We use HDMI/VGA adapters all the time - they should not require any power. Also, we do not use any usb functionality in conjunction with the adapters. They are meant for video only, which is all that will come out of the VGA on your S975.

Offline Arnak

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 02:44:26 PM »
Hi,

Check the monitor input selection and make sure you have the correct HDMI input selected as there are 2 on that monitor.

Also, try another channel and see if that works.

Martin
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 02:49:41 PM by Arnak »

tson

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 08:44:56 PM »
We use HDMI/VGA adapters all the time - they should not require any power. Also, we do not use any usb functionality in conjunction with the adapters. They are meant for video only, which is all that will come out of the VGA on your S975.

Thanks Jay, but just to be clear, you said you use "HDMI/VGA" adapters, and I am curious if it is VGA to HDMI or HDMI to VGA.  I think the adapter is different.  For the PSR, I need VGA TO HDMI.  Also have you done this on the PSR-S975 or 970?  Thanks for clearing it up.

tson

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 08:49:35 PM »
Hi,

Check the monitor input selection and make sure you have the correct HDMI input selected as there are 2 on that monitor.

Also, try another channel and see if that works.

Thanks Martin.  I did check the HDMI INPUT on the monitor and there is no "signal detected" on either HDMI 1 or HDMI 2.

If by "try another channel" you mean, plug the HDMI into the other HDMI port on the monitor, I did try that with no help.

Sorry for the bother.  We can move this discussion over to the proper PSR board if you like.  I have gotten 95 views and 0 (Yes, zero) Replies over there.   ???

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 09:36:38 PM »
Hi tson,

If you Google "j5create vga to hdmi adapter video+audio", you will get many hits which may help you.

It appears that the USB plug is wired to provide power for any environments where the VGA port itself can't supply enough power for the device. This is similar to, for example, some external USB laptop hard drives which have a secondary USB socket at one end of the cable to use if the primary one can't supply enough power on it's own.

I have never used this device so I can't give you definitive advice, and I can't accept responsibility for any negative effects of carrying out the following suggestion,  but if I had purchased the device and experienced your problem, after reading some of the google hits, I would simply try connecting the VGA and HDMI as you have already done, and then plugging the USB socket on the adaptor lead into a suitable USB socket. If this doesn't work you could try connecting the power USB before making the video connections.

Since only power is required from the USB for your purpose, you could use the socket on an external battery USB power bank if you are too cautious to try, or are already using the USB (to device) socket on your keyboard.

I wouldn't bother wasting your time asking Yamaha's so called 'experts' about this  ::) :'(, but you could always try contacting the manufacturer of the device if you are still uncertain about connecting it's USB plug.

Sorry I can't be more definitive about this.

Regards

Ian.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:39:35 PM by tyrosaurus »

Robfind

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 02:16:53 PM »
Just trying to help cause I lived through that last month when I bought my s975.I have a brand new Samsung tv and tried everything under the sun to connect it to the per as a monitor and trust me when I say you cannot connect a tv if it does not have a VGA connection.
So I bought a PC MONITOR sand made sure it had a VGA and bingo it works fine.
Bob Findlay

[attachment deleted by admin]

tson

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 03:00:23 AM »
Just trying to help cause I lived through that last month when I bought my s975.I have a brand new Samsung tv and tried everything under the sun to connect it to the per as a monitor and trust me when I say you cannot connect a tv if it does not have a VGA connection.
So I bought a PC MONITOR sand made sure it had a VGA and bingo it works fine.
Bob Findlay

Hi Bob, and all...
I did find a solution and YES you can connect the PSR-S975 to an HDMI monitor, if you don't want or have an old VGA monitor. (They are heavy)... The J5 Create VGA to HDMI device does NOT work and the company confirmed it is not designed for this task.

However, Amazon sells several VGA to HDMI converters that should work.  I purchased the ONTEN device linked below.  They are currently "unavailable," but other options exist, I'm sure.  The adapter plugs directly into the PSR's VGA port and the USB cable provided (for power) into an Apple USB power block. It appears that when converting a VGA signal to an HDMI signal, power is required to be supplied to the adapter to convert the signal. I did not attempt plugging the USB into the PSR USB port, and I don't recommend it.

After selecting the correct "INPUT" on my HDMI 19" monitor, voila; the PSR screen was mirrored.  (As stated in this stream, the settings for displaying either "lyrics" or "display" are in the SETTINGS of the PSR.)

Additionally, you can adjust most monitors "Aspect" ratio to achieve the desirable look.  My monitor "Aspect" setting gave me "NORMAL" (centered with a black border all around), or "WIDE" (edge to edge view horizontally, but not vertically, so black bars on top and bottom).  The "ZOOM" view which normally stretches the image in both directions, was grayed out and not available to be selected on my monitor's MENU.

Be advised there was another setting in the monitor's menu that I found important.  That is "OVERSCAN." Initially, a small part of the edge appeared cut off.  I changed the "overscan" setting and it solved it.

I like this monitor as it is very lightweight and thin (compared old VGA monitors) and can easily be transported for gigs.   I actually mounted mine to the music stand of the PSR.  It is 720p resolution, but that doesn't matter as the PSR VGA output is only 480p (thanks for skimping Yamaha!).

Below is the Amazon link for the VGA to HDMI converter.  Remember, you need VGA TO HDMI not HDMI to VGA.  Additionally, you need USB power to the converter. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BKYBKGP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 03:10:43 AM by tson »