Author Topic: Connecting external HDMI display (adapter)?  (Read 2422 times)

tson

Connecting external HDMI display (adapter)?
« on: November 25, 2018, 02:59:36 AM »
I want to connect a 19” monitor (Best Buy-Insignia) I just purchased for my PSR-S975.  (I am perplexed as to why Yamaha would equip a 2018 modern arranger with a low resolution 1990’s technology output as VGA [RGB]).  But they did, so I guess I need an adapter of some sort to convert the RGB (VGA) out to an HDMI IN of the monitor.  I bought a "VGA to HDMI" adapter at Best Buy. (j5 CREATE VGA to HDMI Adapter, Video+Audio.). The instructions of the adapter indicate the USB dongle is for “USB audio,” so I didn’t connect that to anything, but when I connected the PSR and the monitor through the adapter, I got nothing...no signal.  So, now I think the USB dongle may be for power, but it may be only for audio.

So, any ideas?  I am tempted to connect the USB dongle of the adapter directly to the USB (to device) on the back of the PSR.  However, I dont think that was the intent and I’m concerned about damage.  Do VGA to HDMI adapters need power from some source (like the USB)??  Can I use the “USB To Device” on the PSR to power this little gadget??  Is there a better adapter that doesn’t need power??

I can’t be the only one that has used an HDMI monitor to mirror the screen of his PSR, so if anyone could give some advice (based on experience), that would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 01:23:23 PM by tson »