Author Topic: S950 cutaway  (Read 6501 times)

Offline hayseed

S950 cutaway
« on: November 21, 2018, 06:16:27 PM »
Has anyone had experience in a bare bones PSR 950 or 910  by that I mean to remove the actual keyboard  and speakers and have only the computer interior and the control panel surface.  I use midi files created on the S950 but do not want to carry the full s950 with me to gigs, I've tried other sound modules such as Ketron sd1000 and coolsoft synth inside laptop and they are good but not the same as the s950.
What would great is to find a sound module such as the old roland MT 32 or similar that had all the same assignments as the S950.   PSR 3000 would work also as the sounds are of good enough quality for what I'm looking for
I had to disassemble a e 433 and was amazed by what little is left after removing the keyboard and speakers  , I know the S950 has a lot more electronics in it than a e433 thus I'm asking for any experiences

PS if anyone knows of a Yamaha psr rack mount version  would be great also.  I can never get the files I create on the PSR 950 to sound right on either the sd1000 or coolsoft virtual synth, there is always problems with drum assignments, guitar octaves and the list goes on so this is why I'm searching for a solution.
Thanks
Hayseed
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 07:50:36 PM by hayseed »

Offline mikf

Re: S950 cutaway
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 09:54:46 PM »
Yamaha do not make rack mount versions. And what you are doing in stripping down the keyboard is so unique that I think you are on your own.
Mike

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 12:00:07 AM »
Your best bet would be to convert those midi files to .wav files using the keyboard's onboard recorder. Then you can convert them to MP3s and play them back with just about anything, including your smart phone.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline hayseed

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 01:48:22 AM »
Have converted to wave files but I'm afraid they do not have the same quality as coming right out of the 950 as midi files,  I've tried many different settings and bit rates and other recording set ups.

It would not be enjoyable to hack apart a good s950 for sure , that's why I'm looking for a rack version or a Yamaha close to facsimile of the PSR
Thanks
Hayseed
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 02:07:50 AM by hayseed »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 03:56:30 AM »
Have converted to wave files but I'm afraid they do not have the same quality as coming right out of the 950 as midi files,  I've tried many different settings and bit rates and other recording set ups.

It would not be enjoyable to hack apart a good s950 for sure , that's why I'm looking for a rack version or a Yamaha close to facsimile of the PSR

They have to have the same quality.

It doesn't sound to me like you're recording them on the keyboard, as there is no way to experiment with bit rates on the keyboard.

Create the .wav files on the 950. You just play the midi after having started an audio recording.

They'll sound the same as midi files, because it's the same sound engine.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 12:26:20 PM »
Yes I agree with Fred. You must record your midi files into the Audio recorder on your keyboard and the sound will be the same. You can then convert to MP3 using something like Audacity.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 03:53:54 PM »
Fred and Eileen are right. I do this all the time.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Taffinator

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 08:21:44 PM »
I agree with the others.

However it would be interesting to test the midi through the old Yamaha TG-100 sound module - they must be cheap as chips now.

Mike