Author Topic: Is it possible to automatically load a specific MIDI setting file on Genos?  (Read 4022 times)

Offline reya

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows of way to automatically load a specific MIDI settings file.
Automatically meaning that one does not have to go to the MIDI menu and manually select the MIDI settings file to be used.

I tried registration files but I have not been lucky so far ...
Maybe by sending a MIDI (sysex?) message to Genos from an external device? (Unfortunately my understanding of MIDI is too limited to figure it out myself ...)
Other ? ...

Thanks

Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

Online Fred Smith

What do you mean by "have not been lucky so far"?

Did the midi not load? Not execute?

A registration is the way to go. It sounds like a problem with the midi file.

Post the file here so someone can take a look at it for you.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Dromeus

I think, Rudy is not talking about a MIDI file, rather he wants to load a MIDI setup. If this is correct, Rudy, then I don't have good news for you. A MIDI setup unfortunately cannot be stored in a registration. I'm not aware of any Sysex command to do this, and it would possibly be a bad idea to implement auch a command. Sending such commands could result in biting the hand that feeds you...
Regards, Michael

Offline zionip

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows of way to automatically load a specific MIDI settings file.
Automatically meaning that one does not have to go to the MIDI menu and manually select the MIDI settings file to be used.

I tried registration files but I have not been lucky so far ...
Maybe by sending a MIDI (sysex?) message to Genos from an external device? (Unfortunately my understanding of MIDI is too limited to figure it out myself ...)
Other ? ...

Thanks

Rudy

Hi Rudy,

I believe that you are talking about MIDI SetUp files (.msu file extension).   Usually once we change the MIDI settings, the new MIDI settings should have stayed the same until we load another .msu file (Menu - Menu2 - Utility - Factory Reset/Backup page 2/2 - Setup Files - MIDI - Load), or manually changing the MIDI settings.

Once you tweak your MIDI settings, you can go through Menu - Menu2 - Utility - Factory Reset/Backup page 2/2 - Setup Files - MIDI - Save to save your current MIDI settings as a .msu file.

Do you have the need to switch your Genos MIDI settings between different .msu files?

Thanks,
Paul

Offline reya

Thanks for the response everyone !

Yes you could call it a MIDI setup file. On Genos, in the screen where one can select the files, it says 'MIDI Setting', thats why I called it a MIDI settings file.

The thing is, I have an external sound module (Ketron SD1000), which when in use, gets its MIDI messages through the 'Right 3' voice on Genos. The corresponding MIDI settings/setup file is configured to send out voice 3 through MIDI ...
For some songs I use a Genos voice in right 3, for other songs I use a Ketron voice in Right 3.

Everything else is currently automated.
When I load a score on my tablet, the corresponding registration file on Genos is loaded so everything is ready to play ....  the only thing that I still need to do manually is choose the right MIDI settings/setup file. And I sometimes forget to do it . ...
So it would be nice if that switchover could also happen automatically.

If it were possible to swich MIDI setup files by using a (sysex) MIDI command I could probably configure Mobilesheets (the software I use to display scores on the tablet) to send that MIDI command to Genos, when the score is loaded.

Thanks
Rudy

Offline Dromeus

Yes you could call it a MIDI setup file. On Genos, in the screen where one can select the files, it says 'MIDI Setting', thats why I called it a MIDI settings file.

You're correct on this one. For many years, Yamaha speaking was "MIDI Setup", meanwhile it appears to be MIDI Settings. I apologize for being old fashioned, but my intention was to point out, that you are not not talking about a MIDI file, but a MIDI setting (sorry for  "setup"), which was obvioulsy correct. Nevertheless, I'm still afraid, there is no sysex or storage in a registration.
Regards, Michael

Offline reya

Thanks for your answer Michael!,

OK, so it is not possible then.
A pity, though I was kind of expecting this to be the case ....

Thanks

Rudy