Author Topic: PSR-S775  (Read 4813 times)

Offline ianmcnll

PSR-S775
« on: November 19, 2018, 05:47:09 PM »
Greetings all...I just bought a PSR-s775 (I have a Tyros4 as well) and I must say it is one little monster keyboard.

I'm still fine tuning it, and re-discovering the delights of my older styles that I programmed on my previous PSR- instruments. Styles from CVP-409/509 and Tyros3 and earlier will work very good...some need a little tweaking (mega voices are limited on the 775, but, in my opinion, they picked the right voices to include, making re-voicing fairly easy.

I like the action a lot...reminds me of the older synths I used to own...very playable, very shallow and once you become accustomed to it, it is very expressive indeed, although I use an FC-7 volume pedal for the Right Hand voices, leaving the accompaniment at a fixed volume but allowing expression when needed.

The 775 has incredibly useful arps/multi-pads, and effects (many of the latter not on my Tyros4!!) a new bunch of guitars and organs (Scanner Jazz organ is cool)...it's very easy to navigate if one is remotely familiar with Yamaha's systems for the past decade or so.

Does it sound as good as my Tyros4? Nope...but, it's close enough, and my main reason for purchase was to have a keyboard for gigging...it came down to several choices...a Hammond SK, a Roland VR-09B, but the winner was the PSR as it also had Audio Recording/Playback like the others, but it was a ARRANGER...an instrument that has been a huge part of my life since the Electone to Portable changeover.

I hope there are more users out there for this versatile and very professional arranger.

Question: Are there any OS updates from Yamaha for this keyboard (and the S975)?

Ian

Many thanks to the site's owners...glad you were here again when I needed you! Thanks!

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: PSR-S775
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 07:12:15 PM »
Hi Ian,

As fr as I can see there are currently no firmware updates for the S775 or S975.

This is hardly surprising since they are basically a slightly updated version of the S770/S970 which have already had their 'anomalies' sorted since release via updates.

Here is a link to the PSR-S775 Downloads page on the Yamaha UK website.  I suggest that you check it out regularly for any updates,
 although you can rest assured that someone on this forum will quickly post details if any are released! 

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-s775/downloads.html#product-tabs

You can also download the Reference Manual from the same page which gives additional information about the keyboard to that in the Owner's Manual, which you should have received in hard copy form with the board.

Regards

Ian

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 04:28:21 AM »
Hello Ian:
Glad you’re enjoying the S775.  I’m having great fun with the S975, having sold the Tyros 5.  However, I see where you’re keeping the Tyros 4 for now.  The only thing I miss from the Tyros are the great choral voices, or those from the Genos, which I considered, but is too pricey.  Not about to drop 4 to 5 grand for one set of desired voices, when everything else on the PSR serves its purpose just fine.

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 09:05:20 AM »
Hi Ian

Have only just joined the forum.  Like yourself I have just purchased a PSR775, having owned a PSR 1500 for around 15 years. Lovely sound but seems like lots more to learn. I am actually a drummer so use the keyboard for my own amusement at home (single finger chords ).

I had saved numerous styles/songs to USB on my 1500 and they don't appear on my 775. Just shows a blank screen. A few are there which are STY files but all others RGT styles not there.

The dealer I bought it from has included 2 free lessons on the operation, the first of which is next week, so hopefully can resolve the issue then.

Regards
Lonely Flower
Lonely Flower
PSR-S775

spike

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 11:15:45 AM »
Hi Ian
PM'd you buddy
Spike

Offline Toril S