Author Topic: Which used arranger should I get?  (Read 5876 times)

Offline mixermixer

Which used arranger should I get?
« on: November 19, 2018, 04:31:57 PM »
Hello,

First time poster, feel free to move this thread where appropriate but this spans Tyros and PSR S territory.

I'm in the market for my first arranger keyboard. My criteria is lightweight portability, styles focusing mainly in Ballad but also Pop/Rock, and ability to play 3/4 time signature Ballad or Pop/Rock.

As you can see in the poll above, I have narrowed down to these three keyboards in particular, all used. Initially I would like to get the tyros 4 since it was TOTL and has the most styles, but it's heavy and big and has no internal speakers (I can get by with a monitor wedge but it'd be nice). Then comes in the PSR S770 which checks all the boxes in lightweight and internal speakers, but not much styles to choose from OOTB. Recently I saw a PSR S975 pop up for sale used but its a huge jump in price from the PSR S770, and no additional styles added in my criteria, kinda an oddball.

I have only demo'd the PSR S770.

Thanks for your time!  :)

Offline Joe H

Re: Which used arranger should I get?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 05:50:55 PM »
I would suggest the S975 because it has all the sounds of the T4, is smaller more compact, lighter in weight and has features that the T4 does not.

If your first priority is quality... then go for the T4... better keybed, (a little) better sound quality. but if you want expansion, then the S975 is easier to deal with.  The T4 is NOT compatible with the new expansion packs and YEM software. Also you will need to buy a memory module which is an additional expense.  The S975 comes with built-in expansion memory and the expansion packs are not copy protected as are the Tyros packs.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline panos

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 07:20:24 PM »
I will agree with Joe.

S975 although is a used one as you said it is the latest and almost as new.
So in the future it will be easier to sell it also.

Tyros 4 of course is the best in sound and keybed but the last owner probably had it for a long long time.
Also heavier and you need to give money to buy good speakers too.
You cannot use the latest packs of sounds with it.

S770 compare to S975 has less memory,voices,drumkits for using through YEM.
The s975 got better speakers and can use all the latest payed packs with styles,drumkits and
voices from Yamaha music soft and other sites.

Never mind about the preset styles.
You can find for free or you can buy styles or even you can make your own styles without necessary have  to record a single note by yourself.

The s770 also at the price you mentioned they were selling it in Europe as brand new and not as used few months ago when the S775 came out.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 07:23:06 PM by panos »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 08:56:33 PM »
You could go for a used S970 also. But it has smaller expansion memory than the S975. If I were you I would buy the S975, but a brand new one if possible.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 03:13:03 AM »
You didn't mention if you plan on singing, either yourself or accompanying somebody else.

In that case scratch PSR-S770 as it doesn't have the vocal harmony list. People are afraid to admit to using auto-tune ("pitch correct mode" in Yamaha-ese), but it really helps focusing on expression and not on the technicalities.

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 04:43:52 AM »
You didn't mention if you plan on singing, either yourself or accompanying somebody else.

In that case scratch PSR-S770 as it doesn't have the vocal harmony list. People are afraid to admit to using auto-tune ("pitch correct mode" in Yamaha-ese), but it really helps focusing on expression and not on the technicalities.

Nope, no singing, so i don't care for VH.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 11:20:39 AM »
The production year of the model and the price, and that you're 'only' playing: PSR975.
Even if T4 is a 'TOTL', the 'MOTL' PSR975 will shine, and a 8 year younger model also tell that support and updates will last for many years to come.
But, at the end it's your ears, needs and bankaccount that has to help you deside what to choose. Good luck.  ;)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 01:57:55 PM »
The Tyros 4 is a very respectable keyboard although a used Tyros 5 would be a better used option. The T5 is compatible with Yamaha Expansion Manager -- the T4 is not.

If acoustic or electric piano is important, it's personally more satisfying to play piano voices on the Yamaha FSX action. I find the light weight Yamaha keybeds to be too light for piano. (This is true in the synth line, too!)

The T4 has Super Articulation 2 voices. The S770 and S975 do not. This may or may not be important for the kinds of music that you want to play.

On the other hand, the S770 and the S975 in particular have the most recent DSP effects -- very good for electric guitar. The T4 is long-in-the-tooth in this regard.

The S770/S975 black color scheme is more "pro" to my eyes than the silver grey T4. (Totally subjective and controversial!)

That's a few personal trade-offs. It all comes down to your needs and musical goals.

All the best -- pj

Offline Bruce Breen

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 02:58:34 PM »
Nope, no singing, so i don't care for VH.

My vote is for the S770 - your savings can go towards a possible future keyboard.
I agree with Panos - you are not restricted by the preset styles in the keyboard - look on line, especially here at this forum!
Bruce Breen
playing a PSR-S950, PSR-2100 & Piano Accordion

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 03:45:20 PM »
In the end, I got a different used PSR-S770 for $850 shipped from fleabay. Works great and I'm loading T4 styles in. I'm fine with the auto voice substitutions, its just missing the scat/human SA2 voices so no biggie.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 03:50:06 PM »
Congrats!😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Bruce Breen

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 05:34:14 PM »
Congrats! ;D

And if you find you need the scat/human SA2 voices, just ask the Forum - I'm sure someone will provide them (or similar) for you.
Bruce Breen
playing a PSR-S950, PSR-2100 & Piano Accordion