Author Topic: Hanging notes in Van Basco's playing midi  (Read 8257 times)

Offline Dick Rector

Hanging notes in Van Basco's playing midi
« on: November 14, 2018, 09:57:38 PM »
I'm sorting out hundreds of midi's collected over the years using Van Basco's player.

Many times if I don't close the program completely but using escape en load the next song I get a lot of hanging notes making the midi sound horrible.
Is there a way to solve this? The midis sound ok on the keyboard.

Thanks
Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline overover

Re: Hanging notes in Van Basco's playing midi
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 11:29:11 PM »
Hi Dick,

the easiest thing you could try is to press the Esc button TWICE: The first Esc stops the playing song and goes to the beginning of the song. The second Esc, among other things,  will reset the internal playback parameters of vanBasco (in "Control" window).

It could be even better, if you press the Space Bar first (to Stop/Pause) the MIDI file, and then press Esc TWICE.

But it would be best to Quit vanBasco completely after each song. That is what I always do. Mostly I use the shortcut "Alt + F4" (thumb and middle finger of my left hand) to Quit vanBasco.

I also recommend to check the Settings of vanBasco: Click on the "eighth note" symbol in the upper left corner of the main window (or right-click anywhere else in the main window) and choose "Setup...". In "MIDI" tab should be activated the Reset Mode "XG" (to send an additional XG Reset when a MIDI file starts), or you can activate the option button "SYSEX file" here (but leave the text box empty).

With the three check boxes unterneath, I recommend to check only the middle one ("Skip Redundant Data").

If you still have problems, you could use the "Optimize XG" feature in "PSRUTI". To do this in "Batch Mode" (optimizing all MIDI files of a folder) do NOT load a MIDI file, first.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:40:54 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dick Rector

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 11:35:15 PM »
Brilliant Chris,

I've tried a few and the double escape works!
Thanks very much for taking the time to solve the problem.

Best regards
Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 12:08:07 AM »
Brilliant Chris,

I've tried a few and the double escape works!
Thanks very much for taking the time to solve the problem. ...

I'm very glad that I could help you, Dick! :)

All the best,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 12:09:12 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dick Rector