Author Topic: Casm lenght problems  (Read 14916 times)

Offline Dick Rector

Casm lenght problems
« on: November 14, 2018, 09:52:19 PM »
Dear people,
After a crash during a thunderstorm many styles will not load anymore.
Investigation in midiplayer: 'The style has casm lenght problems'.
And the advice is to load the style in the keyboard and save it again.... yes but the style will not load in the keyboard!

Any suggestions how to solve this?

Regards
Dick

PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline overover

Re: Casm lenght problems
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 10:04:55 PM »
... After a crash during a thunderstorm many styles will not load anymore. ...

Hi Dick,

do you mean a crash of you PC or a crash of your Keyboard (during that thunderstorm)?

Where were these Styles saved when this crash occurred?

Did you COPY the Styles to a different storage device (e. g. USB stick or PC hard drive) later?

Best regards,
Chris

➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 10:20:04 PM »
Hi Dick,

do you mean a crash of you PC or a crash of your Keyboard (during that thunderstorm)?

Where were these Styles saved when this crash occurred?

Did you COPY the Styles to a different storage device (e. g. USB stick or PC hard drive) later?

Thanks Chris,
The styles are on the PC and yes I have backups on USB from before the crash so I'm safe (thanks heaven).
The later backups have the same problems and are unreadable.

I only would like to know out of interest what could have create the problem and how to solve it if possible.

Best regards,
Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 12:06:21 AM »

... The styles are on the PC and yes I have backups on USB from before the crash so I'm safe (thanks heaven).
The later backups have the same problems and are unreadable.

I only would like to know out of interest what could have create the problem and how to solve it if possible. ...

Hi Dick,

if the Styles were on a conventional (mechanical) hard drive on the PC when the crash occured, I can not imagine how the Style files could be damaged.

If your PC has built in a SSD (solid state drive), it is more likely that files were be damaged during a thunderstorm, but not only the Style files then.

As a precaution, I would uninstall and then re-install the MidiPlayer program on the PC. But since the Styles do not work on the Keyboard either, this is probably not the main reason for that error messages.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 02:41:20 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Ed B

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 02:41:27 AM »
Hi Dick
From your original problem statement I gather some styles work okay. If this is the case you might find Jorgen's program "Style Fixer" helpful assuming it is the style and not MidiPlayer:

http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/sfix/index.htm

Hope this helps
Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

The following users thanked this post: Dick Rector

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 04:21:14 AM »
Hi Dick
From your original problem statement I gather some styles work okay. If this is the case you might find Jorgen's program "Style Fixer" helpful assuming it is the style and not MidiPlayer:

http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/sfix/index.htm

Hope this helps
Regards
Ed B

Thanks Ed,
Yes some are still working but most are damaged. I found out in the meantime that those styles don't have a casm at all anymore.
Strange problem, lightning has his own secrets. It was out of the blue and unexpected a very heavy thunderclap that crashed the computer during a power-cut. Normally with that kind of tropical storms I unplug everything. But I do have working backups.

Best regards
Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline Ed B

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 03:24:38 AM »
Hi Dick
With Jorgen's program you can put in a new CASM if that is any help. Good that you have backups. I put a surge protector on the main AC to prevent problems it seems to work okay.
Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 05:47:15 AM »
Hi Dick
With Jorgen's program you can put in a new CASM if that is any help. Good that you have backups. I put a surge protector on the main AC to prevent problems it seems to work okay.
Regards
Ed B

Thanks for the input Ed,
Yes I do have Jorgens program en started it. It is a bit slow and it changes the styles to SFF1 and takes some other bits and pieces out so I decided to use the backups.
Surge protector is a must on all sensitive electronics, special here in Indonesia. Power fluctuates a lot. I use them always but this lightning was obviously to much.
Problem solved anyway.

Best regards
Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline Joe H

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 06:39:02 PM »
Dick,

I would suggest you get the largest capacity surge protector for your PC and keyboard.  I live in a place where there are electrical storms and power outages as well.  As the saying goes... "An once of prevention is worth a pound of cure!"

BTW... when you load your SFF1 styles into your keyboard and save them back to your USB drive Style Creator will automatically convert them to SFF2.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 07:27:21 PM »
Thanks for the reaction Joe.
I couldn't be bothered with converting/repairing them as I have the back ups. I only wonder why many are affected and others not.

Regards
Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950