Author Topic: Transfer Midi files direct from internet to Genos via WiFi from my iPad Pro  (Read 11688 times)

Offline sjn2048

Is it possible to browse web using Safari on my iPad Pro, find suitable midi files etc from forums such as ths and then download from Web and transfer to the Genos without using a PC/Mac and a USB pen?

So far I’ve got Chord tracker and Songbook for iPad but Songbook wants me to use iTune on a PC and Chord tracker only does the chords.

Fairly sure I saw this when looking at Clavinova’s.

Thanks
Steve

Offline zionip

Hi Steve,

I had the experience of playing MIDI files on Songbook+ on iPad Pro 12.9, which sent the MIDI signals to Genos through the Yamaha MD-BT01 bluetooth MIDI interface and I heard the Genos played the MIDI songs stored on the iPad this way.

There is no option on Songbook+ that I know of (I am not a Songbook+ guru, just a regular user) that can transfer MIDI files from the iPad directly to Genos and store the MIDI files on Genos without using a USB flash drive or the USB storage mode with PC/Mac.

According to http://baum-software.ch/en-songbook.html:

List of the most important features:

- Manage songs with great search and sort options
- View lyrics or sheet music (PDF, TXT, PNG, JPG, JPEG, TIF, TIFF, GIF, LRC, ChordPro)
- Play playbacks (MP3, WAV, AIFF, M4A)
- Play MIDI files (with external sound generation)
- Play karaoke videos (MOV, MP4, MPV, 3GP, M4V)
- Use in portrait or landscape mode
- Insert notes/chords/symbols/sheet music/images/shapes
- Highlight/underline/strike out text passages
- Hand write/paint in the document
- Insert custom, configurable buttons into the document
- Full page turns or smooth scrolling
- Auto page turns or scrolling
- Record song positions with your finger
- Import and display lyrics of Midi/MP3 files
- Control using foot pedal
- Wirelessly connect SongBooks for a synchronous song selection
- Select the next song while a song is playing
- Create playlists
- Music log for billing with GEMA/SUIZA/…
- Take a photo of lyrics/sheet music and convert them into PDF files
- Night mode with inverted colors
- Optical and/or acoustic metronome
- Connect an external monitor with a possible rotation of 90/180/270 degrees
- Separate into multiple books, e.g. one book per volume

Exceptional MIDI options:

- Access the according registration via keyboard when opening the song
- Open a song on the iPad via MIDI remote control
- Send individually configurable MIDI commands when opening/starting/stopping the song
- Insert any buttons for MIDI commands into the lyrics/sheet music
- Remotely browse via MIDI
- Play MIDI files via MIDI-Out on the keyboard/MIDI player/expander
- Integrated MIDI monitor

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 12:47:06 AM by zionip »

Offline overover

Hi Steve,

you can use the Yamaha "MusicSoft" app (MusicSoft Manager) on iPad, and also the "Dropbox" app must be installed. (Of course, you also need to be registered with Dropbox.)

To connect the Genos to the iPad you can use a USB (type AB) cable an the Apple "USB to Lightning" oder "USB3 to Lightning" Camera Adapter. (Maybe it also works with a Bluetooth MIDI Adapter or a Wi-Fi connection, but I did not try this so far.)

When you find a MIDI file etc. when browsing the web using Safari, do NOT download that file directly to the iPad, BUT choose the option to save it to Dropbox. Be sure to save the file to the subfolder "Apps ---> MusicSoftManager" on Dropbox. (This is the only folder on Dropbox that can be accessed from the MusicSoft app, later!)

Then open the "MusicSoft" app and add the desired files from Dropbox to your "Library" in the MusicSoft app (blue button at the upper right corner). Now you can transfer the files to your instrument (e. g. the Genos) or from the instrument to the MusicSoft app Library.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 01:39:24 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline zionip

Hi Chris,

This is a clever workaround / solution.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline overover

Hi Chris,

This is a clever workaround / solution.

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul,

thanks for your kind feedback!

To transfer files between Songbook+ and a PC or Mac computer, the easiest way is to share the internal SB+ folder via Wi-Fi:

Tap on the "three dots" in the SB+ status bar and select "Share folder via Wi-Fi".

Open "Windows Explorer" and click "Map Network Drive" and type in the IP address shown in SB+ (including the protocol "http://" and including the Port number ":8080").

(On Mac open the "Finder", select "Go ---> Connect to Server" and type in the IP address.)

Now, you should see all SB+ data on the computer, and you can copy & paste the desired files in both directions. (User files should be copied to the ROOT directory of the SB+ internal folder.)

Verry important: Do NOT delete or move any System files of SB+!

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 02:27:45 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline sjn2048

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I hope to get chance to setup Dropbox tomorrow afternoon and give this a try.

I do have a Mac Mini and and iMac but not near the Genos.

Given that I’m using the Genos with Flowkey on the iPad Pro then it would be good to transfer files via WiFi direct from the iPad.
Thanks again
Steve

Offline voodoo

Hi Steve,

you can use the Yamaha "MusicSoft" app (MusicSoft Manager) on iPad, and also the "Dropbox" app must be installed. (Of course, you also need to be registered with Dropbox.)

To connect the Genos to the iPad you can use a USB (type AB) cable an the Apple "USB to Lightning" oder "USB3 to Lightning" Camera Adapter. (Maybe it also works with a Bluetooth MIDI Adapter or a Wi-Fi connection, but I did not try this so far.)

When you find a MIDI file etc. when browsing the web using Safari, do NOT download that file directly to the iPad, BUT choose the option to save it to Dropbox. Be sure to save the file to the subfolder "Apps ---> MusicSoftManager" on Dropbox. (This is the only folder on Dropbox that can be accessed from the MusicSoft app, later!)

Then open the "MusicSoft" app and add the desired files from Dropbox to your "Library" in the MusicSoft app (blue button at the upper right corner). Now you can transfer the files to your instrument (e. g. the Genos) or from the instrument to the MusicSoft app Library.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,

I found this solution myself. It works pretty well. Thank you for this good explanation.

Do you know which protocol us used for this file system access? Is it SMB (samba) or something else?

Do you know of any other app which allows access to the Genos filesystem? My goal is to rename files on Genos, from song.mid to song.cld. The app MusicSoft allows for renaming files, but you cannot change the file extension, only the base name.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline overover

... Do you know which protocol us used for this file system access? Is it SMB (samba) or something else?

Do you know of any other app which allows access to the Genos filesystem? My goal is to rename files on Genos, from song.mid to song.cld. The app MusicSoft allows for renaming files, but you cannot change the file extension, only the base name. ...

Hi Uli,

thank you for your feedback!

Yes, in the Yamaha program "MusicSoft Downloader" (Windows version only) or the iOS app "MusicSoft Manager" you can NOT change the extensions of existing files, unfortunately.

I do NOT know, which protocol is used by Yamaha for file access here. But keep in mind that the file access runs via the MIDI connection here (available are USB-MIDI, DIN-MIDI, MIDI over Wi-Fi, MIDI over Bluetooth). Maybe Yamaha uses a proprietary extension of the MIDI protocol for file access / file transfer here.

One possibility is to use the "USB Storage Mode" on Genos (by holding down the Playlist button while powering on). Then you can access the internal User drive of the Genos from PC / Mac. Here you can change file extensions. (But you always have to restart the Genos to have access to the file(s) from the computer.)

I also never tried if it is possible to use the Genos "USB Storage Mode" when connected (via USB) to a Smartphone / iPad.

But if you would change, for example, a Chord Looper file (inside the User drive folder "CHORDLOOPER") to .mid, you have also to move the file into the folder "SONG" (otherwise you can not access the file by "MIDI Multi Recording", later). And if you can change the file extension from .mid to .cld later, you will have to move that file back into the folder "CHORDLOOPER".

(Unfortunately, you can NOT access connected USB sticks in "USB Storage Mode" (as possible in the "MusicSoft" program / app.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 02:41:32 PM by overover »

Offline Bill

Remember that the new IPad OS allows you to save files directly onto a USB stick connected to the IPAD.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline voodoo

Hi Bill,

thank you for this additional thought. I also thought about this. So we could do file operations without a PC, by just using an iPad.

But when I tried it, the iPad always needed additional power to drive the usb stick. So at least a power bank is needed to give the USB stick enough power to work with the iPad. This makes this extension a little useless in my opinion.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D