Yamaha Keyboards (4 Boards) > Yamaha Keyboards - General

Capture styles via audio

(1/4) > >>

boowho:
I would like to grab some styles from and old PSR500 to load them into my PSR910.

Unfortunately, the PSR500 does not output style data to the MIDI port.

Has anybody tried to capture the styles as they are played out from the speakers.  This would require
a "special" program to "listen", I'd suspect.

Anyone know of such a program??

It irritates me that Yamaha doesn't make ALL styles from ALL instruments available for download (even if they charge for them, I'd gladly pay a reasonable price.

Thanks

Gunnar Jonny:
If the PSR550 is close, it's a downloadable file with all styles here: http://www.psrtutorial.com/sty/yamaha/psr-550.html

Text 'PSR550 Styles' above the style-table leads to the zipped file.

2112:
You must have changed something in the FUNCTION settings and forgot about it. The accompaniment definitely can be recorded from the MIDI output.

I opened the manual and it clearly states all the default settings:

--- Quote ---Off Nothing is transmitted.
R1Right-hand keyboard playing* (VOICE R1)**
R2 Right-hand keyboard playing* (VOICE R2)**
L Left-hand keyboard playing* (VOICE L)**
Upper Right-hand keyboard playing*
(Outputs MIDI note data normally as explained on page 29.)
Lower Left-hand keyboard playing* with Auto Accompaniment ON
(Outputs MIDI note data normally as explained on page 29.)
RhM Auto Accompaniment RHYTHM MAIN track
RhS Auto Accompaniment RHYTHM SUB track
Bas Auto Accompaniment BASS track
Cd1 Auto Accompaniment CHORD1 track
Cd2 Auto Accompaniment CHORD2 track
Pad Auto Accompaniment PAD track
Ph1 Auto Accompaniment PHRASE1 track
Ph2 Auto Accompaniment PHRASE2 track

--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---• The initial default channel track settings are:
• Ch. 1 = R1
• Ch. 2  = R2
• Ch. 3  = L
• Ch. 4  = Off
• Ch. 5  = Off
• Ch. 6  = Off
• Ch. 7  = Off
• Ch. 8  = Off
• Ch. 9  = RhS
• Ch. 10  = RhM
• Ch. 11  = Bas
• Ch. 12  = Cd1
• Ch. 13  = Cd2
• Ch. 14  = Pad
• Ch. 15  = Ph1
• Ch. 16  = Ph2

--- End quote ---
If your PSR-500 is dying and unplayable then your best bet is get the main electronic board to somebody with basic electronics knowledge. The styles are stored in the Flash ROM chips that are easily readable and not encrypted. They are essentially MIDI files with some additional notation chunks; documentation in available on the net, just not from Yamaha.

Edit: Fixed the formatting.

boowho:
Thanks for the responses.  First, my unit is clearly a 500;  NOT a 550.   Unfortunately there are PROBABLY differences in the styles.  Yamaha is good about doing that......

However, I will check the link you provided.  I find it interesting that MY PSR500 manual specifically states that style data is NOT output at the MIDI ports; just the opposite of what you say.

But thanks anyhow.

Boowho??

Oops!!  I missed the part of your message about the ROM'S NOT being encrypted.  A number of years ago I bought the schematics for the 500, un-soldered the style chip and read out the contents. They may not have been encrypted, but CERTAINLY compressed using an algorithm unknown to me.   I discovered this by trying to compress the ROM contents with a ZIP file creator and then output data was only a couple of bytes smaller;  a sure sign that the ROM contents were already compressed.

It almost makes me wonder if we are talking about the same keyboard   Mine is a PSR500  (about 25-30 years ago vintage)

2112:

--- Quote from: boowho on November 14, 2018, 08:21:18 PM ---First, my unit is clearly a 500;  NOT a 550.

--- End quote ---
Yeah, sorry for misinformation. I had so many Yamaha manuals opened that I got myself mixed up. The 500 manual is a scanned image, the one I read mush have been for 550. Please accept my apologies.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version