Author Topic: What (volume) foot pedal are you using with your Genos?  (Read 18252 times)

Offline Depo1964

What (volume) foot pedal are you using with your Genos?
« on: November 14, 2018, 12:14:59 AM »
I am currently using a Yamaha FC7 foot pedal to control the volume on my Genos.
But I feel that the changes it makes are too drastic.
I don't see anywhere on the Genos where the amount of volume can be modified for the volume pedal.

Is there another pedal that someone is using that either can be programmed to reduce the amount of volume changes when pressed or
that actually doesn't make such large changes in volume when it is pressed?
Thx.

Offline zionip

Re: What (volume) foot pedal are you using with your Genos?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 06:49:13 AM »
Hi Depo1964,

I use a very inexpensive M-Audio EX-P expression pedal for my V-Console for Genos setup (the pedal right next to the Ketron FS13 footswitch on the left):

There is an adjustable knob on the left hand side of the M-Audio EX-P expression pedal that you can set the minimum volume level when you press the pedal at your heel.  If you set the minimum volume to, say, 20% of full volume, this effectively makes the volume change less drastic compared to the Yamaha FC7:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NLRWEI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks,
Paul

Pino

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 06:56:11 AM »
Zionip,

I’d love to hear some of your music,
I’ve been following your posts and your photos.
Your equipment looks amazing,

have you an YouTube Channel or somewhere we can have a listen,

You look at the real deal to me.

Pino
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 06:57:38 AM by Pino »

Offline zionip

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 07:43:36 AM »
Hi Pino,

I am just an amateur arranger keyboard player who plays for fun.  I posted some YouTube videos before, but stopped doing it due to the lack of time.

Here is a 4K video of me playing "My heart will go on" as a Genos demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr9WGDLrqE8

I have since then got rid of most of my older arranger keyboards that appeared in my YouTube videos.

Lately I have been working on and enjoy playing with V-Console for Genos setup, with Genos as the upper keyboard, Korg Kronos 2 88-key as the lower keyboard, and JG3 Tech 24-note bass pedal for mainly Classical and church music.  I also switch the Kronos 2 88-key on the fly to drive a Ketron SD90 live arranger module mainly for bass, drums, and piano 3-piece setup for more varieties of playing styles - I got bored by styles with too many accompanying instruments.

My current main arranger / workstation setup:

Thanks,
Paul

Pino

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 08:51:18 AM »
Thanks for the link

Sorry Paul. I can only give you 5/10 for that
Because you didn’t play anything over that long intro.
That’s not what I call playing and instrument.

Are you spending your time on connecting gear and not enough time on playing, that’s ok, we’re all doing different things, it’s the enjoyment that counts. I have one student who has 10,000 midi’s and few thousand styles but he could not play one song from beginning to end, I turned him around, he was only allowed 1 hour a day to play with the toys and he had to practice for one hour and sight reading 30 minutes, it’s so easy to be side-tracked when we have so many things around use and then easy to go back on the internet checking new gear, practice is boring, but if we want something bad enough then we have to put in the time.

Here’s a tip,
If your playing a long intro in the key of C,  for instance.
Then play a low volume arpeggio of the C chord
Like G-C-E-E-C-G etc.
Better than just staring at the keyboard

I love your setup and your enthusiasm and helping others on this forum

Good luck
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 08:52:42 AM by Pino »

Offline zionip

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 09:40:04 AM »
Hi Pino,

Thank you for your comments.

You said:  "Are you spending your time on connecting gear and not enough time on playing, that’s ok, we’re all doing different things, it’s the enjoyment that counts."

I am working 40 hours a week for a network storage vendor, practice table tennis four to five days a week, each session 3 to 4 hours.  I have on the average about 2 hours at most per day for playing music.  Gear setup related time varied, but for sure will be less and less as I just got what I desired - V-Console mainly for Classical music without using styles, and Ketron SD90 for bass, drums, and piano only labor intensive playing styles.

The reason why I now choose the 3-piece setup, bass, drums and piano style of playing is to play the keyboard(s) with my own hands instead of relying on the styles.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline voodoo

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 10:25:49 AM »
I use a very inexpensive M-Audio EX-P expression pedal for my V-Console for Genos setup (the pedal right next to the Ketron FS13 footswitch on the left):

Me too, M-Audio EX-P works perfectly.
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Pino

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 10:35:09 AM »
Paul, now your going the right way
I’ve done a lot of gear and midi myself over the years

I made a decision 5 years ago only to play styles
And learn the process of making song styles

It’s paid off for me, I get a lot more respect from everybody that hears me play and I am enjoying playing without that guilty feeling when playing over a midi,

I know some will say ‘mix it up’ but I’m happy to play what I play and have so many people come to hear me every night,

You’ll settle down to what comfortable for you and keep up with the practice.
I think the table tennis has to go 😀

Pino

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 12:23:38 PM »
The FC7 pedal is adjustable and you may find loosening it off a little helps.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 12:34:39 PM »
I am currently using a Yamaha FC7 foot pedal to control the volume on my Genos.
But I feel that the changes it makes are too drastic.

I'm using Yamaha FC‑7, and used this pedal for the T4 as well.
It works smooth and soft, and as Eileen say, there is an option at the bottom of the pedal to adjust the hardness of the needed 'footpressure'.
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline soryt

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 01:04:14 PM »
I am using the MFC 10 pedal and a separate Fc 5 for the rotary switch (cant program it on the Mfc10 :-( )

Soneg  :)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 05:49:47 PM »
Hi
I just use one footpedal for Bending guitars  etc and another for fills mainly
All depends how difficult it is to get your hands free for a button or knob.
I do think Intros and endings are ok to press the button for as  that would take a little weight off players who play live and have to play loads of tunes.
It is quite easy to play them as well.
Yes it is difficult sometimes being a Don partridge one man band as you need ten pairs of hands sometimes, but it is hard practice that gets you there.
I would not let people put you off as connecting gear and rearranging is always ongoing and problems always seem to occur.
We all are looking for that perfect studio and I hate crawling under the desk sorting things out as I get the sciatica going again ;D :P :-X.
My next problem is another £85 for Cubase 10. It never stops. Also I would like one of those seeboards with the squidgy keys at some point
Santa baby I want it all and I want it now. "where have I heard that line before"!!!!

All the Best
John
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 05:58:00 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Depo1964

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 08:39:26 PM »
Hi Depo1964,

................................................. ......................................
Thanks,
Paul
Thanks for all the input from everyone.....

i have decided that if (zionip) Paul is using it in that magnificent setup of his,  I should at least give it a try.
Exactly what I was looking for in not having to go to zero volume when the pedal is released up....

Trying adjusting my FC7 but found that the changes were hardly noticeable, at least to my liking.