Author Topic: Hammond Voices  (Read 28439 times)

Offline Ton Antheunisse

Hammond Voices
« on: November 12, 2018, 11:49:42 AM »
For a long time now I have tried to find GOOD Hammond voices for my Tyros 5. Maybe someone has uploaded them before today
but me memory is not what it used to be.  I know they (the Hammond voices) are around because I recognize them when other members upload their music.

Thank you in anticipation.

Ton

Offline emasters

Re: Hammond Voices
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 05:30:16 PM »
IMHO, the Tone Wheel organ on the T5 is "pure" sounding, where typical B3's are gritty and have more character.  The things most lacking  on the T5 are a convincing chorus, distortion and Leslie (both rotating effect and the mid-range resonate sound quality).  The T5 does have the effects modules that help with these areas, but they fall short.  I have a Ventilator II stereo effect pedal which I use with my Hammond XK3C (purchased from Thomann - best price I could find).  When gigging, if I use the Ventilator II with the T5 Tone Wheel organ, it sounds much better and closer to the real thing.  I don't know what sound packs you can purchase for the T5 that will get closer to a B3.  But if you consider a Ventilator II, you get that great Leslie distortion, the characteristic Leslie resonance in the mid-range, and the Leslie spins-up and spins-down authentically when you activate it.  Good luck -- it's the one area of the T5 that on its own, falls short for me.  I still gig with my T5 and overall, really like it.  But without the Ventilator II, I typically won't use the T5's organ sounds.

The following users thanked this post: Doghouse Riley

Offline Doghouse Riley

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 08:41:42 PM »
Digressing a bit, but  on the subject authentic sounds

You seem to be the person to ask.

Although I've posted a question about the subject before but unfortunately no one had an answer.

How can  get a similar to Rhodes piano sound like either of these on my Tyros 5?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3YuFKIQO_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nnLE-aBoPQ

« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 08:45:17 PM by Doghouse Riley »
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners! I don't like 'em myself, they're pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings." (Philip Marlowe)

Offline andyg

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 08:53:48 PM »
It depends entirely on what type of Hammond sound you want. If your music demands the gritty, distorted sound and the close miked Leslie effects that are so much loved by the rock and jazz players then emasters' post sums things up nicely. Run it through a Ventilator.

But the majority of us do not want that gritty sound very often or even at all! We want a plain, clean Hammond sound for playing middle of the road music and in this the T5 can certainly deliver. You'll have to play around with the tremolo settings in Dual Rotor Bright to get a sound that is how you actually hear a Leslie in a home setting, and you can play around with EQ and reverb etc. None of the stock settings show the organ sounds to their best.

I'm also assuming that you do know how to use drawbars effectively - no disrespect intended, but a lot of keyboard owners have never played a real Hammond or used drawbars.

You can create wonderful organ sounds by mixing things that maybe shouldn't work but do! For example, I like using the Lowrey Home Organ tab voices in R1, with Hammond drawbars in R2 and maybe even the Wersi Euro organ in R3! The permutations are almost endless, but you have to 1) know something about how the older organs worked and 2) be prepared to spend some time getting what you want. I was discussing organ sounds with one of the content designers from Yamaha last week - he labelled me a 'power user'! Not sure if that's so, but I'm very, very fussy with my organ sounds.

Bottom line if you want that MOR type Hammond sound - it IS in there, with no need for any additional gear.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline emasters

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 11:38:55 PM »
I agree with AndyG -- if it's a clean Hammond sound you want, the T5 works fine on it's own.  You can adjust most every aspect of the sound, save the chorus isn't like the real thing.  But that is likely a minor consideration for most T5 owners.  My post was targeted at a more contemporary Hammond sound in the Jazz/Rock genre.  if you're not looking for that, the T5 has plenty of control and sounds good.  I will point out that whether you are going for a clean or gritty sound, one aspect of a hammond is the Leslie speaker ramping-up or ramping down (tremolo effect).  It accelerates and decelerates doing this, and it's a big part of the Hammond sound.  If you use patches for your organ sound, most are either slow or fast Leslie, and it's a hard switch from one to the other -- not very satisfying.  That's where the Tone Wheel organ works well.  You can use a T5 Leslie effect which will ramp-up and ramp-down the leslie rotors, like one would expect.

Offline RoyceM

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 04:07:59 AM »
Ton,

Perhaps there is something of use in this attached folder.

- Royce

[attachment deleted by admin]
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, jerryghr, Dick Rector, frajag, sooty8, resoldie, pethep, wersianer, ppkeyboard, balcino

Offline Ton Antheunisse

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 12:13:00 PM »
Thank you all for the responses, very much appreciated.

Ever since my first RiHa way back in 1965 or thereabouts, I have had many organs and keyboards, among them an old Hammond, L 100 ,  totally stripped of it's original case by a "RockBand". They replaced the case with particle board, painted it black and after trashing it for a few years, they traded it for a new one. The shop owner gave it to me for free , glad to be rid of it. I bought some nice Australian Hardwood and made a new case for it . A technician had a look at it and made it work again and I sold it for a handsome profit and bought a Yamaha keyboard. But ever since I loved that Hammond sound :D :D

Ton

Offline Eric, B

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 06:48:37 PM »
I bought this one on sale (20% off) from Yamaha and I am very pleased with it.
https://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/premium-packs-and-voices/organ-session-tyros-5
These are not reworked samples.
They are all new.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1meyLgmnN-I

Eric
Genos, PSR-S970

filoaman

Offline pjd

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 05:13:13 PM »

filoaman

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 09:17:17 PM »
Looks like this expansion pack is one of several:

http://soundandstyles.grandblogs.com/index.php

Anyone with experience from this vendor?

-- pj

I have an Expansion Soundpack from them, with Farfisa Combo sounds. Good enough, lightweight and quite cheap. No experience though with the Hammond Expansion Soundpack.
I really don't like and I don't need Hammond sounds for my projects in any cse.

paslooping

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2019, 01:10:25 PM »
Hello,
Test Hammond sound L122.....format UVN  (1 only sound) (fix sound no modif...leslie....)
I make them from VST
just can be modify your DSP (for the reverb of outher....)

« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 01:15:55 PM by paslooping »

The following users thanked this post: Dick Rector, overover, wersianer, ppkeyboard, balcino

paslooping

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 08:37:21 AM »
New L122 Hammond UVN     ;)

The following users thanked this post: Dick Rector, overover, LarsMoss, wersianer, ppkeyboard, balcino

paslooping

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 06:07:31 PM »
Suite... :D

The following users thanked this post: overover, wersianer, ppkeyboard, balcino