Author Topic: Microphone settings  (Read 11946 times)

Cosmicimage

Microphone settings
« on: November 07, 2018, 12:11:19 PM »
Hi everyone

Is there an article anywhere that details how to use all the various adjustments shown on the tyros 5 microphone pages and what they do including vocal harmony adjustments.  I understand what some do but others are a mystery.

Offline Ed B

Re: Microphone settings
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 02:55:29 AM »
Hi
There are some tutorials at this link that may be of help:

http://psrtutorial.com/lessons/tune/vh/index.html

Regfards
Ed B
Keep on learning

Cosmicimage

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 07:53:14 PM »
Thanks ED B, I have read this article before, however on the tyros 5 there are adjustment controls, particularly in the VH section that I would like more detailed explanation on and how to set them up.

Probably the best way is to just keep expirementing with them.
Thank you once again.

Cosmicimage

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 08:22:01 PM »
Hi Cosmicimage,

did you already download the Tyros5 Reference Manual?

Although there are some notes in the (included) Owner's Manual for the Microphone settings, you should, if you have not already done so, also download and use the Reference Manual.

I recommend to download also the Owner's Manual as a PDF version. Then open both Owner's AND Reference Manual in your PDF reader program on PC and use the integrated Search function (in many programs "Cmd + F") to "jump" to all text passages that contain (for example) the word "microphone".

Link to Tyros5 download site: :)

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/tyros5/downloads.html

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 08:26:16 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Cosmicimage

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 10:48:35 AM »
Thanks Overover for your suggestion, I checked the reference manual and it detailed what all the controls are for - which helped a lot. I would like to see how a sound engineer would use them in different songs.

I currently gig with the kB to back a singer and need to get the best setup for him. Perhaps YouTube will help.

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 10:42:04 PM »
Thanks Overover for your suggestion, I checked the reference manual and it detailed what all the controls are for - which helped a lot. I would like to see how a sound engineer would use them in different songs.

I currently gig with the kB to back a singer and need to get the best setup for him. Perhaps YouTube will help.

Hi Cosmicimage,

thanks for your feedback!

I suggest to speak/sing into the microphone while ajdusting all relevant Microphone setting parameters over a wide range, so you can hear the changes in the sound well. Only if you know what the individual parameters "do", you can set them correctly (according to your EARS). :)

Important Mic setting parameters are:

• Mic Gain (knob on panel)

• Mic Volume (in Mixing Console / Balance display)

• Mic EQ (Low, Mid, High AND the correct frequency setting for each, to determine which frequency band should be raised / lowered)

• Mic Noise Gate (switch OFF first)

• Mic Compressor (switch OFF first)

• If needed, make also your settings in tab "TALK".

• If you use Vocal Harmony, make your settings in "VOCAL HARMONY EDIT" display. Here you can also make the settings for VOCAL EFFECT (separately for LEAD voice and for HARMONY voices, REVERB and CHORUS.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 10:45:27 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)