Author Topic: How can I select Expansion user style using MSB and LSB?  (Read 21047 times)

Musaed

How can I select Expansion user style using MSB and LSB?
« on: November 08, 2018, 08:10:31 PM »
Please Help i'm stuck here   :-[

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: How can I select Expansion user style using MSB and LSB?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 08:47:02 PM »
Do you have the voice address ( MSB LSB PC)
Turned on.??
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Musaed

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 08:53:43 PM »
Yes! But it didst show up in user expansion.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 08:59:20 PM »
Please Help i'm stuck here   :-[

Hi Musaed,

which keyboard model do you play and can you describe more exactly what you want to do?

To my knowledge, only PRESET Styles can be selected from an external MIDI device (like a PC), by using SysEx messages.

Another way (which will also work with User Styles) is to select Registrations via MIDI from an external device. BUT this only works on Tyros2/3/4/5, Genos and PSR-S975/S775 (NOT on earlier PSR-S models).

P.S.
VOICES (Preset and Expansion Voices) can be selected via Bank Select MSB/LSB and Program Change. STYLES can NOT be selected in this way.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 09:02:18 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Musaed

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 09:19:00 AM »
THNKS i have yamaha 970. i would like to select i user expantion style or voice inside my daw using msb.Lsb.Pc.

HOW can i?

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 12:00:46 AM »
THNKS i have yamaha 970. i would like to select i user expantion style or voice inside my daw using msb.Lsb.Pc.

HOW can i?

Hi Musaed,

as mentioned above, User Styles can NOT be selected via MIDI from an external MIDI device or DAW (but only Preset Styles).

And it is NOT possible to select Registrations via MIDI on the S970. So, you have to select the desired Style manually on the S970.

In contrast to this, Voices CAN be selected from a DAW of course (by using Bank Select MSB/LSB and Program Change).

If not done before, first you should activate displaying the voice numbers on the S970:

Please call up the display "[FUNCTION] ---> MENU 1 ---> UTILITY ---> Tab CONFIG 1" and set the parameter "VOICE NUMBER" to "SHOW". Press [EXIT] to save the setting.

In the Voice select display at each Voice you should see the corresponding Voice Number.

Example: #000-122-001 (= Concert Grand) means:

MSB = 0
LSB = 122
Yamaha Program Number = 1

Important: The MIDI Program Change Number is "Yamaha Program Number minus 1"!

Voice numbers of Expansion Packs:

Custom Voices (e. g. in Expansion Packs you have created yourself) always have MSB = 63 (Custom NORMAL Voices) or MSB = 62 (Custom DRUM Voices).

The LSB of a Pack is automatically assigned (to the lowest free LSB #) when a Pack is created/imported. But you can change the LSB (in YEM) if needed: Simply click on a particular Pack in "My Packs", then click on ">" button and choose "Change Bank Select LSB". There you can drag the Pack that has NO grey background to another free LSB. Close that window to save changes.

Yamaha Expansion Packs can have fixed Voice numbers which are NOT in the Custom Voice address area (MSB 63 or MSB 62).

Hope this helps!

P.S.
You could also simply record MIDI file directly on S970 with the desired Keyboard Voice settings (Right Parts and/or Left Part). Then save this MIDI file to a USB stick and import the file in your DAW: You will have all Voice settings AND Effect settings in your project in the DAW.

P.P.S.
To play back MIDI data via USB-MIDI on the S970, the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver should be installed on the Computer. On S970 the MIDI Setup "All Parts" should be used and the Tracks in the DAW should be routed to the USB-MIDI Port named "Digital Workstation 1" (to get the MIDI data routed to the S970 SONG Parts).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 12:29:11 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Musaed

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 09:17:29 AM »
THANKS👍👍👍i got it now

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 10:50:41 AM »
THANKS👍👍👍i got it now

Hi Musaed,

thanks for your quick feedback! :)

I'm glad that I could help you!

All the best,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 10:51:43 AM by overover »

Musaed

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 12:34:05 PM »
Another side question if you don't mind. How can I increase tempo or slow down like from 120bbm to 100bbm. Not directly to 100bbm
then my 970 can read it as a midi file.

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 05:49:47 PM »
Another side question if you don't mind. How can I increase tempo or slow down like from 120bbm to 100bbm. ...

Hi Musaed,

you can press TEMPO + or - button once, to bring up the Tempo pop-up display. Then you can increase or decrease the Tempo via the Data dial. (The time in which those pop-up displays CLOSE can be set in "UTILITY - CONFIG 2 - POPUP DISPLAY TIME".)

BUT I do not understand what you mean here:

... Not directly to 100bbm then my 970 can read it as a midi file.

WHAT can your S970 "read as a MIDI file"?

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 05:54:20 PM by overover »

Musaed

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 04:43:42 PM »
Th. My question is how i make tempo gradual from 100bbm To 120bbm inside Cubase.

Offline bernamato

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2021, 11:01:51 PM »
Hi overover, how do you send from daw a message to registration bank to psr975? I use ableton as daw. tks