Author Topic: Soundproofing  (Read 6802 times)

Offline Doghouse Riley

Soundproofing
« on: November 08, 2018, 12:51:58 PM »
Well, more "vibration prevention."

Having had a PSR 1000 for twenty years, when I changed to a  Tyros 5, I was amazed at the  bass available from the sub-woofer even at low volume.

Now we live in a conventional small semi detached house, built in the days when the internal walls were of brick, not stud partitions.
We found that with the Tyros in the front room with the bass turned up, even with the  door of that room  and the one in the lounge closed, my wife in the other room could sometimes feel the bass through her chair, even though she could hardly hear me playing the keyboard.
My wife who has MS occasionally  buys  fresh or fozen food on-line which is delivered  in thick-walled polystyrene boxes of different sizes.

I save these  to store  bits of equipment in the garage and found one about the right size on which  to set the speaker.
A white box would have looked a bit naff, so I bought a metre of black material to cover it. I'd be useless with a sewing machine  or needle and thread, but I'm a wizz with  stick-on Velcro.

Job done! No more vibration through the floorboards.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 02:50:57 PM by Doghouse Riley »
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners! I don't like 'em myself, they're pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings." (Philip Marlowe)

Offline Toril S

Re: Soundproofing
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 04:55:24 PM »
Creative!!!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: Doghouse Riley

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 05:42:16 PM »
Great work.  I have used the same material before for the same purpose. 

You can also paint it black . . . . or any color you want.   

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

The following users thanked this post: Doghouse Riley

Offline Doghouse Riley

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 07:26:20 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.

I've used the idea before.

I keep Japanese koi and in my filter room at the back of the garage I have a 1000lph air pump which supplies air to the pool.
I sat it on a shelf on a small block of  polystyrene insulation, that really deadens the noise it makes.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 07:31:33 PM by Doghouse Riley »
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners! I don't like 'em myself, they're pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings." (Philip Marlowe)