Author Topic: Genos...upgradeable  (Read 28196 times)

Offline guitpic1

Genos...upgradeable
« on: November 06, 2018, 04:27:14 PM »
I’ve had my Genos since January.  I continue to be more impressed the longer I have it.

Given that almost all, the knobs, sliders and buttons are assignable, it seems to me that the Genos could almost be upgraded to a newer model just by upgrading the software.

Thoughts?
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

Re: Genos...upgradeable
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 04:57:18 PM »
Agree, but it also depends very much of what limitations hardware has or not, and also in what direction Yamaha may choose to go.
The future is exciting, at least for those of us that lives long enought to see it!  ;)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 05:20:32 PM »
You're right, software updates could completely change what the instrument can do, and could add loads of new features.

However - it's very unlikely to happen. As has been discussed elsewhere, Yamaha don't seem interested in significant software updates on the arranger lines.
Genos

beykock

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 06:21:32 PM »
There might be a serious reason why Yamaha are not updating their arranger keyboard's software so frequently.

IMHO Yamaha know exactly which updates are acceptable for their arranger keyboard's hardware to avoid problems or unwanted complaints.

As usual new software comes with new hardware.

As far as I know that's Yamaha's product policy.

Up to now their product policy seems to be very successful.
For many years to come Yamaha's arranger keyboards are very liable and technical problems are very rare.

Most of their second hand arranger keyboards are loved by all new owners.

Babette
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 06:23:26 PM by beykock »

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 05:44:07 AM »
Genos is absolutely a modern Arranger with very powerful hardware..
It's absolutely a new generation Arranger with open source OS...
The older Arrangers (Tyros) were very different and very limited for future expandability/upgradeable...
As proffesional Style Producer I think that the Genos is a very powerfull arranger with amazing sound and I am very excited as more I discover it...
Do not forget that in the first Specifications  the User Audio Drums and Audio Phraser were not included however with V1.30 Firmware we have this possibility therefore that was a small upgrade because we have something new...
And as you see in this PDF http://sandsoftwaresound.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Genos-Product-Guide.pdf
(Concept Of Genos) : The name Genos is associated with ancient Greece...
As a Greek I know that the word Genos means ( Generation or New Generation ) therefore something new....
A new generation Arranger...
I think that the next update will not be just an update....   :) :) ;) ;)

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 05:45:41 AM by Sokratis1974 »

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 12:37:02 PM »

If the Genos OS is open source, wouldn't we have access to the background code? I don't see the OS as open source. Please explain  ???.

From opensource.com: Open source software is software with source code that anyone can inspect, modify, and enhance. "Source code" is the part of software that most computer users don't ever see; it's the code computer programmers can manipulate to change how a piece of software—a "program" or "application"—works.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 12:38:33 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 12:47:44 PM »

Being an Ubuntu OS (which is made based on Debian, a volunteer project who released a GPU/Linux operating system), is an Open Source operating system, indeed.
Anyway, application which we see and use on Genos is a Yamaha property, and I don't think anyone will have possibility ever to access it. If there was a possibility, I think every good programmer could modify Style Creator to have all those 16 channels visible :D , or every function/screen...
If there is a possibility to access Genos interface application, I think any limitation of Yamaha corporation will be cracked! Because any good programmer will be able to decode cpf files, to export wav files from samples, etc ;)
So I think this is only a dream :D

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline valimaties

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 12:50:57 PM »
If the Genos OS is open source, wouldn't we have access to the background code? I don't see the OS as open source. Please explain  ???.

From opensource.com: Open source software is software with source code that anyone can inspect, modify, and enhance. "Source code" is the part of software that most computer users don't ever see; it's the code computer programmers can manipulate to change how a piece of software—a "program" or "application"—works.

An OS is an Operating System (Linux, MacOS, MS Windows, Android, etc)...

But the application which keyboard use over this OS (the user interface you see) is not made under GNU Public License, so it is a property of Yamaha and cannot be shared to user, as Yamaha shared already Genos OS Source Code (v 1.02 and 1.10 patch)...

Qute from Owner Manual and from Yamaha SourceCode page:
This product contains software licensed under GNU General Public License (GPL) or GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL). You may obtain, copy, distribute and modify the source code for any portions of the product under GPL or LGPL.
So, they've shared only portion of OS which has GNU License :)

Regards,
Vali
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:02:00 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

The following users thanked this post: pjd

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 12:58:44 PM »
My apologies..
You were correct...There was a mistake in the wording rgarding the Open Source.
I simply meant that it was more open for the creator for future upgrades.
That is just my opinion though.
Sorry again....
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:03:37 PM by Sokratis1974 »

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 01:35:38 PM »
Hi Vali,

if you are familiar with Linux (programming), you can open the last Genos Update file "GENOSSETUP.PRG" (V1.30) with a suitable archive program like "7-Zip", to look "what's going on" there. :)

Most of the archives/files inside can also be opened simply by double-clicking them.

P.S.
For example,  I found out that the included Linux driver for external USB Video adapters is from the year 2013 (!) ...

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:37:09 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline valimaties

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 06:22:16 PM »
Hi Vali,

if you are familiar with Linux (programming), you can open the last Genos Update file "GENOSSETUP.PRG" (V1.30) with a suitable archive program like "7-Zip", to look "what's going on" there. :)

Most of the archives/files inside can also be opened simply by double-clicking them.

P.S.
For example,  I found out that the included Linux driver for external USB Video adapters is from the year 2013 (!) ...

Best regards,
Chris

Thank you very much, Chris...
Till nw, I had 7-zip v15 beta, and it does not opened PRG file correctly.
Now I have installed v 18, and I can see all files inside PRG file.

I promise, I will "study" this archive with my friends :)

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 09:18:44 PM »
Thank you very much, Chris...
Till nw, I had 7-zip v15 beta, and it does not opened PRG file correctly.
Now I have installed v 18, and I can see all files inside PRG file.

I promise, I will "study" this archive with my friends :) ...

Hi Vali,

thanks for your quick feedback!

I currently have 7-Zip v16.04 (64-bit) installed, but I will upgrade to last version 18.05 next time. :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Melody2018

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 01:44:55 AM »
Hello there, i think The Genos is stil NOT the Best KB workstation YET!

I,m a KB player and entertainer that owns GENOS KORG Pa 4 Liontracs etc, any way, there is so many things that we realy need in the sotudio and on the stage.
Like why cant we ad elements from another sound on YEM, Forexsample, just copy any element from YEM to another sounds element?
Why can,t we ad SA sounds like ROM sounds, etc.
Why can,t Yamaha give users free hands on sound making in overal?
If the KB is 4000 euros than i am the one who decides what to do with my samples and sounds, NO LIMITATIONS!
I,m a great sound programmer, but, Yamaha makes it realy PAIN IN THE As, when i wanna make Layesr etc.
YEM must be better.
Tempo reset is a must!
You cant see In Drum editor the name of the samples!
I wanna ad samples to Articulation buttons, CAN,T!
Etc etc.
Well great KB but there is realy much missing, I hope they can Update for better And more open user editable functions.

KORG is far better in that.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 01:58:04 AM »
Hello there, i think The Genos is stil NOT the Best KB workstation YET!

I,m a KB player and entertainer that owns GENOS KORG Pa 4 Liontracs etc, any way, there is so many things that we realy need in the sotudio and on the stage.
Like why cant we ad elements from another sound on YEM, Forexsample, just copy any element from YEM to another sounds element?
Why can,t we ad SA sounds like ROM sounds, etc.
Why can,t Yamaha give users free hands on sound making in overal?
If the KB is 4000 euros than i am the one who decides what to do with my samples and sounds, NO LIMITATIONS!
I,m a great sound programmer, but, Yamaha makes it realy PAIN IN THE As, when i wanna make Layesr etc.
YEM must be better.
Tempo reset is a must!
You cant see In Drum editor the name of the samples!
I wanna ad samples to Articulation buttons, CAN,T!
Etc etc.
Well great KB but there is realy much missing, I hope they can Update for better And more open user editable functions.

Great. Now we can have the best of both worlds. You buy a Kong, and leave the Genos the way it is for the rest of us.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 03:40:40 AM »
Melody,

It’s true that the PA4X has deeper editing capabilities, I owned one for over a year and gigged with it.
Thing is, I spent most of my time editing the PA4X to get it to sound like my Yamaha Tyros 4. 😊

I now own and gig with the Genos.  I’m more interested in playing/gigging than editing.  Love the Genos, it’s perfect for what it was designed to do.

Sounds like you would be happier with a workstation or programmable synthesizer. 

« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:22:33 AM by guitpic1 »
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 04:44:00 AM »

i think The Genos is stil NOT the Best KB workstation YET!

Melody

If you would have said:
 i think The Genos is stil NOT the Best KB workstation YET!  For ME.  (meaning for you of course)

Your sentence would have been perfect.

If you think Korg is far better, why purchase Yamaha Genos ?.  It seems to me that you did not research properly before purchasing Genos.

I am perfectly happy with my Yamaha Genos, it is great for what i want it for.

thanks

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline EileenL

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 12:29:11 PM »
Yes Genos for most of us is great and is a joy to play and more important is that the people we play for just love the sounds it produces.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2018, 11:08:16 AM »
I have to say one phrase:

"Don't limit the power of Genos"! ;)

Genos can do more than it does now. Firmware is upgradeable, as we all know that fact. It depends only on Yamaha Engineer and Development Team if they want to give more things to users or not. I don't think they will do more upgrades to Genos. They have to sell Genos 2 also :) So I think all we tell them now as there are bugs they will repair in the next level of keyboard. Maybe in a new PSR-S model. We know that PSR-S 970 has new feature comparing with Tyros 5 ;)

Melody, let's not create another polemics as there was a lot in the past :) !

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2018, 12:47:04 PM »
Keep in mind that there is a huge difference between bugs and software upgrades that we would love to have. Upgrades can be something Yamaha puts into Genos 2. Meanwhile, they are obligated to fix all bugs. So far, I think they've ironed out the bugs pretty well.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline BenoitM

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2018, 01:21:57 PM »
So far, I think they've ironed out the bugs pretty well.

Can't agree with you on this one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sin4JYqtO5U

And, for my personal experience, there are serious issues with registration saving when I assign multiple DSP (Insertion Effects) to the same part (Left 1, for example) and I change some 'details' DSP Parameters... (and, yes, even with v1.30 firmware it's a pain to access the detailled parameters of each dsp when they are assigned to the same part ... :/ ), only the last edited DSP keeps its settings when calling back the registration memory. it's a MAJOR BUG to me...    (and i'm not the only person having trouble with DSP: https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,40773.msg326761.html#msg326761  and RegMem : https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,45908.msg360809.html#msg360809)

So, I definitively hope that Yamaha will fix this quircks soon, I can't accept that a +4000€ keyboard can't properly save my settings in a registration memory ! Even if the vast majority of the users won't ever 'play' with the dsp, it was an advertised 'feature' when they released the Genos (and a big 'selling point' for me !).

That's why I'm so disappointed with the facts that:
- The Genos user interface is NOT user friendly concerning detailed parameters editing of multiple DSP assigned to the same part (workaround exists, like temporarily assigning a dsp to another part, edit it, and reassign it to the 'original' part, but, come on, frankly its not what I expect from Yamaha ! - the original firmware 1.02 had a button for this, but they oddly removed it in v1.10 ! see https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,41600.msg369988.html#msg369988  )
- When, finally, after many attemps, I obtained the sound I wanted , I saved it to a Registration Memory... only to find afterward that only my last edited DSP detailed parameters where properly saved (the other DSP 'types' where kept, but they reverted to their default detailed parameters....)

COME ON YAMAHA !!!! WAKE UP !!!!

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 01:31:44 PM »
Oops...sounds like Yamaha definitely needs to hire an exterminator. Thanks for the post, BeniotM.