Author Topic: adding a single multipad in an existing multipad  (Read 8774 times)

Offline ton37

adding a single multipad in an existing multipad
« on: November 05, 2018, 07:36:18 AM »
Best forummers, I'm struggling with multipads. I want to combine 2 Multipads to 1 New one. But I cannot discover how to do that. From styles I succeed by using the assembly function, but that doesn't work with MP.
I hope you can show me in the right direction.

PS, I have a preference to do it on the keyboard itself (if possible) , as there are Padmaker-apps. But my keyboard is not always nearby my PC
Tia Ton
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 07:37:38 AM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline ton37

Re: adding a single multipad in an existing multipad
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 08:21:49 AM »
Oh boy, I was focussed on the Multipad Creator and that was not the way to go. Suddenly I saw the light:  I  overlooked the Menu when I was in the Multipad-modus. And there it was: 'Multi Pad Edit'. Apparently a 'Senior-moment'
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Yinon

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 05:37:28 PM »
Hello Tony,

Much like you, I'm trying to sort this out.
I looked at at the manual and reference guide but can't find the explanation.

I'm trying to bring few pad sounds into one multi-pad.
I see the  'Multi Pad Edit' option but I'm not able change any of the existing.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Yinon

Bachus

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 05:52:57 PM »
Oh boy, I was focussed on the Multipad Creator and that was not the way to go. Suddenly I saw the light:  I  overlooked the Menu when I was in the Multipad-modus. And there it was: 'Multi Pad Edit'. Apparently a 'Senior-moment'

Not a Senior moment...
Thats how smart people learn..

You asked here... but also kept on looking...
I have had many of these momemts over the last month

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline Yinon

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 02:19:31 PM »
Hello,

Just making sure my question is still visible ;-)

Can anyone point me to the relevant manual page?
How can I create a multipad from different samples?
Can I edit an existing pad? Or Do I need to start from scratch every time?
Can I mix midi pads and audio on the same multi?

Can I control the volumes after recordings?

Thanks

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 03:22:05 PM »
To Save different parts of multi pads to new ones first select the pad you want to copy new sections to and then save it to User. This makes it easier to find while working on it. Now select Menu and Multi pad edit. Select the part you want to move and then press Copy. Now go to the pad you want to copy to. Press MP edit again and select the position you want it in and then press Paste. Now press Save and give it a name and save it.
Don't go to multi Pad record for this.

Offline Yinon

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 03:47:12 PM »
Thanks Eileen.

While I was waiting for the answer I was able to figure it out.
I think the reason it took me time is how non-intuitive this is.

1. No - you can't mix an audio and midi pads.
2. You need to copy a multi to start with.

Overall - 7-8 clicks to get one pad replaced in a multi ...
I think this is very cumbersome.
I would have expected this to behave like a sound or style replacement.

Something like:
Select your multi -> click multi-edit -> click "replace" (my new imaginary button) and the multi preset will open up, select your pad and it will get replaced.

I know what I want for the next Genos upgrade....

Thoughts?

Offline Joe H

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 04:21:20 PM »
Try PadMaker-Midi, it's so much easier. Just load your Multi Pad... copy the pads you wish to keep, then load the Multi Pad you wish to copy from and copy that single (or more) pad(s) to the first Multi Pad buttons and save.

Also I suggest you read my article on using Multi Pads.  I give instructions on how to do what you wish to do on the keyboard and well as using PadMaker-Midi.  Ignore the referrence to EDM... the process works for all genre of music.

http://psrtutorial.com/MB/padmakermidi.html

Joe H
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 04:24:23 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

The following users thanked this post: Yinon

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 05:17:19 PM »
Thanks Eileen.

While I was waiting for the answer I was able to figure it out.
I think the reason it took me time is how non-intuitive this is.

1. No - you can't mix an audio and midi pads.
2. You need to copy a multi to start with.

Overall - 7-8 clicks to get one pad replaced in a multi ...
I think this is very cumbersome.
I would have expected this to behave like a sound or style replacement.

Something like:
Select your multi -> click multi-edit -> click "replace" (my new imaginary button) and the multi preset will open up, select your pad and it will get replaced.

I know what I want for the next Genos upgrade....

Thoughts?

If it was intuitive, you wouldn’t have posted here.

The problem Yamaha has with proposed changes, is what do they do for all the people who know the old way?

I think the best we can hope for in a keyboard’s OS is we can actually do what we want to do.

Intuitive should be reserved fir playing the instrument.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 05:21:53 PM »
Yes I know that this can be done by many programmes but I think it is nice to know that it can be easily done on the keyboard. Just takes a couple of minutes. Remember that there are some out there that don't want to download programmes so it is good to know you don't have to.

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline Yinon

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 09:43:36 PM »
Try PadMaker-Midi, it's so much easier. Just load your Multi Pad... copy the pads you wish to keep, then load the Multi Pad you wish to copy from and copy that single (or more) pad(s) to the first Multi Pad buttons and save.

Also I suggest you read my article on using Multi Pads.  I give instructions on how to do what you wish to do on the keyboard and well as using PadMaker-Midi.  Ignore the referrence to EDM... the process works for all genre of music.

http://psrtutorial.com/MB/padmakermidi.html

Joe H

Joe - Thanks for the detailed response!.
Seems like the pads have much more potential in it than Yamaha realizes.

BTW - I liked the buttons location better when these were located on the left, close to the transport. (T5)
In a live show, I prefer using my left hand to activate a pad like activating a drums break.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 09:49:43 PM by Yinon »

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 12:01:31 AM »
Hi Yinon,

The 'edit' process for a multi pad is essentially a copy/paste one.  So how can you expect to 'paste' a pad into another bank without first copying it from it's current bank?

However I would say that Yamaha's use of the term 'Edit' is somewhat misleading in this case.  It probably suggests to most people that it allows editing of the pattern or other parameters of a specific pad!  Perhaps 'Edit MP Bank Contents' might be more sensible, but this is Yamaha, so don't expect common sense!  Like all file handling functions on Yamaha arrangers, the function is very basic!  :'( (Please Mr Yamaha, can we have just a basic 'search' function for any type of file, preset or user)! You know, something like what has been available on any computer for at least 30 years)!

I do agree with you about the positioning of the MP control buttons on Genos.  Most users playing styles are much more likely to have their left hand available to start/stop a pad than their right hand, so on that basis where is the obvious place to put the panel buttons? Yes, on the right hand side of the keyboard!  ::)  The positioning of the Left/Right keyboard part buttons is even more stupid!  Why don't they just go the whole hog and put all the buttons on the rear of the case to make things as difficult as possible!  Maybe they are reserving this 'innovation' for Genos2!

I often wonder about Yamaha's 'logic' when it comes to the design of their arranger keyboards.  Are they deliberately trying to make things as difficult as possible for arranger users?  Or perhaps they are simply from a planet or parallel universe where logic is screwed up!  They certainly aren't from the planet Vulcan!   If 'Spock' was aware of this nonsense, he would be turning in his grave (or photon torpedo 'casket') faster than the horn in a Leslie speaker on fast   :'( :o

Regards

Ian

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 12:04:32 AM by tyrosaurus »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 03:31:23 AM »
... I do agree with you about the positioning of the MP control buttons on Genos.  Most users playing styles are much more likely to have their left hand available to start/stop a pad than their right hand, ...

Let me say first... lets agree that we can disagree.  I have NO problem with the Multi Pads on the the right. In fact I always have thought that the Tyros with the Pad buttons on the left side of the keyboard was backward. To each his own. 

Then there is the fact that Orientals think differently that Occidentals. Maybe that is why we don't understand the ways of how Yamaha engineers design things.

I do agree that there could be an easier way to copy and paste individual pads from one Multi pad file to another.  I believe we should be able to turn individual pads On with a press of a button and turn individual pads Off with another touch of the button.  But Yamaha designed it to work differently so we have to have "workarounds". 

I think Yamaha is slow to learn from arranger owners because there is an institutional mind set about what the arranger IS and a preconceived 30 year old idea about what the arranger player wants or needs in an instrument. The world is advancing, the arranger is not keeping up with the changes with other technologies. While this may be true for Yamaha's "synths keyboards" it is not so with the arranger.

So I hope Yamaha is learning from this forum about how the contemporary arranger player has progressed along with the technology from that of three decades ago.  Yamaha is behind the curve and needs to catch up to the contemporary player/user.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline EileenL

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 12:27:15 PM »
I think that any manufacturer of arranger keyboards has a very hard job catering for every ones needs.
  Do bear in mind that a very large percentage of buyers of these keyboards are retired and just want to sit and produce music on what they have and are very happy doing so. They also entertain others and make good money by doing so. this also allows them to keep up with the latest models.
  To say Yamaha is not sensible or should put buttons on the back casing dose not help anybody.
Every one has the choice that if they don't like Yamaha they can go and buy a keyboard from a company that gives then all they want.( If they can find one)

Offline panos

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 09:23:31 PM »
Improvements are always welcomed though.
Multipads it is a great feature but I see people(including my self) not using them a lot.
Besides from midi pads we can add any .wav sound to our playing.
No need to be music to keep up with the song's tempo.
Could be sounds from nature like sea waves,rain,a thunder etc.
Whatever makes Live playing easier is good because we have so many options and buttons to use in a 4 minutes song to make it sound more "pro" and interesting.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 05:30:26 AM »
... Besides from midi pads we can add any .wav sound to our playing.
No need to be music to keep up with the song's tempo.
Could be sounds from nature like sea waves,rain,a thunder etc...

I actually think this what Yamaha had in mind.  When the ability to play .WAV clips first appear in the 90s with Yamaha's early synths, that was the application... sound effects. But arranger players wanted the audio Multi Pads to be used differently.  This is an example of what I am talking about.  Yamaha learning from arranger players ideas.

I'm 71 years old going on 35.  I play my arranger to entertain myself and keep my mind active.  I like learning new things.  I'd like to see new features and better implementation of what is already there.  I like Yamaha as a company and their products, but I am at odds with their current business model of adding minimal features to the next model (and making us buy a whole new keyboard every 3 years) rather than adding new features via on OS update to the current model... which they have been doing for years with their synth line of keyboards.

The following users thanked this post: wersianer