Author Topic: My GENOS going  (Read 44312 times)

edtek

My GENOS going
« on: November 04, 2018, 04:57:51 PM »
Posted my GENOS in the ads forum.  It's overkill for me.

Online Gunnar Jonny

Re: My GENOS going
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 05:42:06 PM »
It's overkill for me.
I have a feeling that Genos is 'overkill' for many of us that bought it, but still, it's a lot of fun and joy both to play and explore it.  8)
Good luck with the sale, and congratulations to the lucky buyer.  :)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 06:18:27 PM »
Overkill? Yes, my S970 is overkill in that I don't use all the functions - yet! It is always good to know that they are there, and that i can put them to use when I am ready for it! Good luck with the sale.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Rumney

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 07:15:41 PM »
Posted my GENOS in the ads forum.  It's overkill for me.

Edtek - Sorry but I don’t get your rational. I am a comlete novice, learning from the most basic point but have bought myself a Genos to do so.

Yes it’s overkill but I have it now and look forward to growing with it without (probably) ever needing to upgrade it.

Like you and most other members on this forum I have taken the plunge a bought a Genos but If I were to change it now for a more ‘suitable’ instrument to my abilities or needs then I would loose £100”s if not £1000’s ($’s in your case  :) ) on my original purchase price by selling it as used or part exchanging it. I just don’t understand why you would want to - even if your original choice was overkill why compound any perceived mistake?

I’m not trying to second guess your choice and wish you all the best but I just don’t get it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 07:22:52 PM by Rumney »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 03:04:39 PM »
I would not part with my Genos for anything. The sound alone makes it a keeper. I don't think many people use all the functions that are on these amazing keyboards but they are there should you want to. Just sitting playing it as it comes give pleasure to many.
   Wish you luck with your sale.

Offline hammer

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 03:15:39 PM »
Eileen,
I must agree with you.  I have a S975 I have been using and I use mostly Genos styles with it and it is amazing how good they sound on the S975. 

Deane

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 03:53:42 PM »
As you know Deane I have both Genos and 970 but on the 970 the styles do not sound the same as on Genos.
No Revo drums for a start which are just great on certain styles. As I said I would not part with my Genos.

Offline andyg

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 03:58:34 PM »
Having been in the trade for 45+ years now, I can confidently tell you that most players use only a fraction of what their instruments can do. It's always been that way. That's starting with electronic organs in the late 1960s, over 10 years or so before we saw the first Yamaha keyboard. As instruments got better, bigger and inevitably more complex, that 'fraction' became more like a 'tiny fraction'. But that's not really a problem as each player will use a different fraction.

Even the 'power users' don't use everything. We might use just about everything that we're interested in, or that we like, but definitely not everything!

The advice given to customers when I started all those years ago still holds true today. Buy an instrument that you will grow into, not one that you will grow out of. So, even if you think your Genos, S975, CVP Clavinova or whatever is 'overkill', my advice will always be to stick with it. If you sell it and trade downwards, at some point there's a good chance that you'll kick yourself when you do want that sound or feature that you once had but now don't.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny

Pino

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 04:55:16 PM »
But sometimes you do not need a Ferrari to do a school run, for my restaurant gigs my audience are amazed with what comes out of a S975, how much more amazed would they be with the Genos sound???

For some of us musicians we have to make compromises, size, weight etc. and maybe we need a second one as a back-up.

Pino

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 06:59:03 PM »
I agree that for many people additional functionality is not required, but even then the 76 key option, touchscreen operation and better sound might still be worthwhile. For some it is not, but if you already have it anyway, its hard to see why a change is required. Its not being changed for upgrade, and the money is already sunk .... so why bother. Only reason I can see is if the the additional functionality is causing the basic operation to get so much more complicated that the user doesn't like it. But in all honesty I don't see that, being much of an issue, its just familiarity.
The Ferrari is a poor comparison, because its so different. You may not need a Lexus or a Merc just to drive to the store, but if you already bought one....why not?
Mike

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 07:18:20 PM »
The advice given to customers when I started all those years ago still holds true today. Buy an instrument that you will grow into, not one that you will grow out of. So, even if you think your Genos, S975, CVP Clavinova or whatever is 'overkill', my advice will always be to stick with it.
This is very beautiful way of describing the concept.

I just wanted to add one comment about one choice that was not available to the experienced people: battery-operated keyboards. They are cheap and don't sound too great, but they give their users a completely new opportunity: take the digital instrument, pedal, headphones and some sunscreen to a park and practice your music there.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 08:07:02 PM by 2112 »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 07:38:59 PM »
I agree! My PSR-47 can be used with batteries, and I often took it with me on trips and played it outdorrs. My song On The Cabin Porch, that is on my Performar's page was made on the porch of a cabin that we rented, a cabin that did not have electricity!
I miss that flexibillity on my later PSRs!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 08:28:24 PM »
For me, I love the fact that my Genos has all kinds of possibilities if I take the time to learn.  My Genos is limited only by how much I’m willing to learn and do.

😊
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny

Offline Bud2

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 03:08:43 PM »
I personally don't understand why people want to get rid of the Genos, it is so much more than the Tyros and if you take your time you will see it is not that much more difficult, if at all, because some things are easier to do with the touch screen. I hope I have just persuaded a friend from our club to keep his after spending an evening with him and his wife to answer any questions and show them how to do things they did with the Tyros. At the end of the evening they were happy with the Genos and I hope now will keep it.
Bill

Offline Toril S

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 03:38:57 PM »
Great Bill! The Genos is so much lightwr rhan the Tyros too!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

KeyboardMaestroYT

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 09:23:42 PM »
I was on the same line here when i said "Oh, i'm gonna sell my Tyros-2 since i'm not using all the features"
After a couple of days i started missing it because of the great sounds and styles, and i finally understood that it's not about using everything that a keyboard has but if it is to your liking..

And now i'm here with 4 entry level Yamaha keyboards and a midrange Technics and i miss my Tyros like crazy haha so DON'T SELL YOUR GENOS.

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2018, 03:25:45 PM »
Having been in the trade for 45+ years now, I can confidently tell you that most players use only a fraction of what their instruments can do. It's always been that way. That's starting with electronic organs in the late 1960s, over 10 years or so before we saw the first Yamaha keyboard. As instruments got better, bigger and inevitably more complex, that 'fraction' became more like a 'tiny fraction'. But that's not really a problem as each player will use a different fraction.

Even the 'power users' don't use everything. We might use just about everything that we're interested in, or that we like, but definitely not everything!

The advice given to customers when I started all those years ago still holds true today. Buy an instrument that you will grow into, not one that you will grow out of. So, even if you think your Genos, S975, CVP Clavinova or whatever is 'overkill', my advice will always be to stick with it. If you sell it and trade downwards, at some point there's a good chance that you'll kick yourself when you do want that sound or feature that you once had but now don't.

I have an s970 and Genos.  As much as I like the s970 it's not a Genos.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline EileenL

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2018, 11:54:32 PM »
Yes you are right there. I have both keyboards as well but my Genos gets played more than my 970.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2018, 01:23:49 PM »
Hi Ed

Do not sell the Genos. "It will keep the brain going"

All the best
John :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Bud2

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2018, 06:48:57 PM »
This and other forums are here to help anyone who is struggling with any part of operating their keyboard, you can ask any question about it, don't be afraid of asking as there is no such thing as a"silly" or "stupid" question and I think that if this was ever said to a person asking a question the person who said it would be given a strong warning or maybe something worse. So rather than give up and say you are selling your Genos keep it and ask for any help you need and very soon you will be saying "I am so glad I didn't sell my Genos it's great"
Bill

Offline Toril S

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2018, 07:36:35 PM »
Please listen to all your friends here. We are here to help. I think you will make a big mistake by selling your Genos! No one uses all the functions of a keyboard, but it is nice to know they are there the moment you fell it is the right time to start using them!
Toril S

and PSR-47.