Author Topic: Playing slash chords in fingered mode.  (Read 10066 times)

Offline BartW

Playing slash chords in fingered mode.
« on: November 02, 2018, 04:40:54 PM »
Hello,

Has anyone figured out a reliable way to play slash chords in the fingered mode? I know you can switch to a mode fingered on Bass mode where the root would be the bass but seems like this mode does not let you play a lot of advanced chords. Some chords seem to work well like F/C but others are not recognized. I was wondering what was the trick/pattern to use so the system recognizes these.

Thank you,

Bart

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Playing slash chords in fingered mode.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 05:27:40 PM »
Has anyone figured out a reliable way to play slash chords in the fingered mode? I know you can switch to a mode fingered on Bass mode where the root would be the bass but seems like this mode does not let you play a lot of advanced chords. Some chords seem to work well like F/C but others are not recognized. I was wondering what was the trick/pattern to use so the system recognizes these.

The trick us to add the bass note below the fingered chord. Not always possible with the standard split point on a 61-key keyboard, but that’s life.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline BartW

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 05:42:40 PM »
Fred, I have the 76-key Genos so real estate is not a big problem. But adding the root below the chord does not always work - that was the reason for my post exactly. For example, F/D? If you play F triad and then add D, system interprets this as Dm7.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 07:52:04 PM by BartW »

Offline manuel

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 07:17:51 PM »
Hello

Just make sure you are in Fingered AI.....that !!! Makes the difference...

My 2 cents

Manuel
My 2 Cents

Manuel

The following users thanked this post: BartW

Offline zionip

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 08:16:16 PM »
I just tried pressing D-F-A-C on Genos, with D note being the lowest note, no matter what finger mode, including AI Fingered, AI Full Fingered, the chord was interpreted as Dm7, shown on the Genos Home screen.  It looks like Genos was programmed to 'think' D-F-A-C is Dm7, not F/D.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 08:20:49 PM »
For example, F/D? If you play F triad and then add D, system interprets this as Dm7.
Wont make any difference what fingering mode you choose, its still going to see those notes as Dmin7, because that is what it is. And what difference does it make? The sound, not the name on the keyboard is what matters.
Mike

Offline Ed B

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 10:15:22 PM »
Hi
As Mike stated F/D is Dm7. The composer writes it that way(F/D) because he is creating a bass pattern. You need to look it at the chords before and see the bass  and then the chords after to see what he is trying to accomplish.

Like Manuel suggested, I like AI fingered
You can use this capability to come up with your own unique arrangement of a song with the bass line creating interesting counterpoint to the melody line using the style. There were some examples on the forum but I think we may have lost them.
Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

Offline Toplayer2

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 10:21:58 PM »
Experiment with two note fingering for your slash chords.  Not every combination is possible, but most musically useful ones are.  Here is an example in the key of C major:

Chord    Notes
C.          C
C/B.       B & C
Am.        A & C
Am7/G.   G & A

Genos remembers the previously played chord, for example the Am in the example above so that G & A is not wrongly interpreted as A7/G.

Though it requires some dexterity and perhaps longer fingers, some slash chords can be forced by playing the intended bass notes both below and above the chord.

Joe
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 10:26:54 PM by Toplayer2 »
Yamaha Genos  |  Young Chang G-185 Grand  |  Hauptwerk / Paramount  |  Band-In-A-Box Audiophile Edition

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 12:23:28 AM »
Just remember you must select AI fingering to use this correctly. If you want F/D play D and F note together
If you want C/E play E and C together and so on.

Offline BartW

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 01:51:48 AM »
Thank you everyone; I tried Fingered AI mode and indeed the recognition is much improved. I also understand now that if enharmonically Dm7 and F/D are equivalent, the Yamaha will show the former as, you stated, sound is same even though progression-wise and notation-wise may not be correct.

This is very helpful and I think I am in business now!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 02:11:25 AM by BartW »