Author Topic: Tyros 5 Expansion Packs  (Read 21966 times)

Offline sooty8

Tyros 5 Expansion Packs
« on: October 28, 2018, 11:53:07 AM »
Hi Everyone

Can anyone advise me on the best USB stick to download my Expansion Packs onto and the maximum Gig to have.
As I am increasing my Expansion Pack Library I need a larger USB stick to hold the information.
What is the maximum gig stick would a Tyros 5 take?

Thank You

Steve
Tyros 5   S950 S975
Bose L1 compact speaker
HS8 Studio Monitors

I Love My Tyros 5

Offline EileenL

Re: Tyros 5 Expansion Packs
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 02:30:32 PM »
I used 16 and 32 Gb on my tyros. I also backed up my downloaded packs onto my computer.

Offline sooty8

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 05:48:39 PM »
Thank you Eileen, do you prefer a special make or is any make suitable.

Regards

Steve
Tyros 5   S950 S975
Bose L1 compact speaker
HS8 Studio Monitors

I Love My Tyros 5

Offline emasters

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 06:21:27 PM »
Check out the "Compatible USB Device List" in the "Other" section on this web page: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/tyros5/downloads.html#product-tabs

I suspect most devices will work.  But if you're interested in the devices Yamaha has qualified, this document contains that information.

Offline sooty8

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 12:27:28 AM »
Thank you emasters, for the lists, i have ordered the Kingston 32gb.

Regards

Steve
Tyros 5   S950 S975
Bose L1 compact speaker
HS8 Studio Monitors

I Love My Tyros 5

Ricardo Diaz

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 12:08:07 PM »
Hello
I have in use 4 Kingston Hyper-X: 3 sticks for 64 GB and one for 128 GB and all OK.

Best Regards.
Paco.

Offline valio7771

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 01:32:45 PM »
Hi,

I don't think a particular brand of USB drive is a key factor, as long it's big and *fast enough to hold your packs and data, and as long as the keyboard can recognise it when plugged in, you'll be fine with any size or brand.
I hope you're aware that you're limited by the size of the flash memory installed on your keyboard, how many packs you can install on it before your memory is full. There are alternative bigger size memory cards, up to 2048MB, which is double the size of the biggest that Yamaha has to offer, and it is tested and works without any issues. Search for Mutec FMC-07, I'm getting one now, currently waiting for the delivery.

*bare in mind that Tyros's on-board USB interface is only 2.0, which is fairly slow by any current standards, and this is the limiting factor in the speed that your packs and files will be transferred from/to the USB drive of your choice. So, no matter if your USB drive is 3.0 or even 3.1, it will only be able to transfer data from/to the keyboard with speed no higher than the one that the keyboard USB's interface supports.

Cheers

Valentin

Pino

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 01:58:38 PM »
What’s the difference between these 2 Kingston 101 G2 USB sticks?

[attachment deleted by admin]

illllm

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 02:33:38 PM »
different colors usually mean different capacity. You can know the capacity by plugging it into a computer, right click and view properties.( in windows ).

That said, any USB stick will do. I use a cheap $8 64GB usb drive.

Pino

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 05:21:51 PM »
Be careful, the cheap ones may not be good.

The green one is a fake
I bought 2 of the green ones from a reputable online store for use with my keyboards

I was getting ‘DATA NOT LOADED CORRECTLY’ sometimes.

I just could not figure it out, tried saving different files, midi, styles, Registrations
Sometimes it worked ok and sometimes not
I got so frustrated after working on a style for about one hour and saving it and not able to load it again. They were both formatted on the keyboard.

I went to my local store and the guy there recons the green one is a fake,
there’s 1,000s of fake USB sticks around and u can not tell the difference from appearance, the packaging is identical, the front metal bit on the green one is more loose than the red one,

I’ve been using the red one for about 4 years, no problem.

Not a good experience,

Pino.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 05:56:32 PM »

I hope you're aware that you're limited by the size of the flash memory installed on your keyboard, how many packs you can install on it before your memory is full. There are alternative bigger size memory cards, up to 2048MB, which is double the size of the biggest that Yamaha has to offer, and it is tested and works without any issues. Search for Mutec FMC-07, I'm getting one now, currently waiting for the delivery.

Valentin

I fancied one of those, but the retail price is way too high. I could buy a notebook laptop with 32GB SSD on board and run a bunch of VSTs for far less ....
Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 10:53:50 PM »
There were quite a few of these available when people changed to Genos. I sold my 2 Gb for £125.

Offline ticktock

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 09:03:44 PM »
What’s the difference between these 2 Kingston 101 G2 USB sticks?
Thank you for sharing. Mine is red and has being used for 3 years without problem.
Ted

Offline DerekA

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 10:41:37 PM »
There were quite a few of these available when people changed to Genos. I sold my 2 Gb for £125.

I missed out on that Eileen. That's a more reasonable price.
Genos

Offline Toril S

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 11:04:41 PM »
I have the green one. Mine is obciously real, I have used it for several years. But the metal pieces on it are silver, not gold.
In addition to different kinds of Kingston sticks I also use SanDisk. Works well. It is smart to use a USB extension cable on the keyboard to avoid damaging the socket on the keyboard. Hubs will not work on all models.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page