Author Topic: Genos Digital Out  (Read 9569 times)

Offline valimaties

Genos Digital Out
« on: October 17, 2018, 08:15:49 AM »
Hi all.

Anyone have used digital out RCA pin of Genos?! Have you used a Digital to Analog converter?! Which one? (I heard is a better sound on that RCA pin, and as I read on the manual is the same signal from Main line outs).

Thanks.

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline overover

Re: Genos Digital Out
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 11:58:55 AM »
Hi Vali,

the Digital output of the Genos is normally used to connect it digitally to a PC/DAW. This requires an external Audio Interface, which has a coaxial digital input (connected to the digital Out of the Genos), and the Interface is digitally connected to the PC/Mac via USB.

To connect the Genos to analogue Inputs (e. g. to a Mixing Console or to a selfpowered ("active") PA system), in my opinion it would make no sense to use the Digital Out of the Genos followed by an external D/A Converter box.

The internal D/A Converters of the Genos are of a good quality (much better as the A/D Converters of Tyros models. :)

BTW: The Genos Digital Out will NOT be affected by the Master Volume knob!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 12:05:04 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline valimaties

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 12:23:01 PM »
Yes Chris, I know about Master Volume.
But even if I have to use a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC), I heard is much better than main line out signal.
I only want to use it on my home studio, not to gigs. I have an Yamaha AG06 Audio Interface (which does not have Digital in) and I thought using digital out of Genos through a DAC to my AI will bring a better quality sound to my HS7 monitors.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline soryt

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 12:31:39 PM »
I have used it on the Focusrite Scarlett 8I6 , there is no big difference in sound . (i cant hear it )

Soryt  :)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 07:42:34 AM »
Hi Vali.
I use the SPDIF Digital Out of Genos only for Record in Cubase 9.5.
The Sample Rate of Genos SPDIF is 44khz.
So.. I use the analog Main Out of Genos in my Studio Setup however I use the Inputs of my Audio Interface RME Fireface UCX.
After tests I found that the analog In/Out of this Audio Interface is much better of my console (soundcraft efx12) with much better signal and Stereo Image.
Therefore I have connect the Genos analog Outs direct in my RME Analog Inputs and from the RME Outs direct in my Genelec 8040.
In this case the signal is very good for a clean Mix etc.
I think ins this case (Genos), the SPDIF is good for Record and not for hearing because we have not Volume Control.
Also your AG06 Audio Interface does not include SPDIF In..
The RCA that inlude is analog in and not Digital in.
The SPDIF use one RCA connector and not two..
Best Regards.

Offline rbackes

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 08:19:25 AM »
Hi,

I'm using the digital out for recording. So I can adjust the main volume as I want and need it e.g. for the headphones. I use an ESI U24XL, that was the cheapest Interface with electrical (not optical) digital input.
With a patched Audacity and the ASIO drivers I can do bit-identical recordings. The Genos Output is 44.1kHz, but with 24bit resolution.
The other reason for using digital instead of analogue output was a noticeable humm because of some ground-loops.

As I attend an online keyboard course, recording is quite important to upload the results. And recording with the genos internal recorder is much more cumbersome than doing that with Audacity.

Greetings,

Rainer

Offline frozzers

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 08:28:36 AM »
Hi Rainer

OT but would you mind letting me know what online keyboard course you're doing please?

Cheers

Chris

Offline markstyles

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 03:50:49 PM »
i tried the digital outs, works fine.  Like mentioned here the analog outputs are cleaner than the Tyros model was.. I feel comfortable using either. 

Offline rbackes

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 12:50:02 PM »
Hi Rainer

OT but would you mind letting me know what online keyboard course you're doing please?

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

it is http://www.keyboard-lehrgang.com/. I t is a german speaking course.

Yours

Rainer

Offline frozzers

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 09:14:02 PM »
Thanks Rainer.

From the translated page, it looks a good course.

Unfortunately, I don't speak German and so I've emailed to ask if it's worth my enrolling.

Cheers

Chris

Offline rbackes

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 11:16:52 PM »
Hi Chris,

I'd like to reply public, as I think, there may be more readers interested.

Sorry to say, I don't think the course is very good to non-german speakers. The main advantage over the countless other courses is the forum. That works in the following way:
You get your lessons via email, from the usual basic child-songs to current pop songs and oldies. You study the lesson and train to play the song you got. When you feel confident about your result, you record it and upload it to the forum. Then the other participants can give you feedback about how you played it. One of the learning goals is to hear and analyze to recording of the others, for being able to analyze you own recordings. After the first very basic lessons you are requested to upload an self-analysis together with your song. After some days - to give the other students a chance to do their feedback, a teacher will give you the 'official' feedback. Depending on that you can iterate on the song or continue with the next.

The problem for you is, that everything is in german.

Hope that helped

Yours

Rainer

The following users thanked this post: Colin D

Offline frozzers

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 08:33:06 AM »
Thanks Rainer.

Pretty much as I'd feared!

Chris