Author Topic: YEM Issue  (Read 8311 times)

Rumney

YEM Issue
« on: October 15, 2018, 09:12:01 AM »
I have successfully downloaded and installed the YEM and also the free on registration MusicSoft Expansion Pack (Church & Christmas). I have successfully transferred the pack to my Genos via WiFi and can see the pack on the instrument.
If I select VOICE - RIGHT 1 - USER - EXPANSION then I can see all the newly added voices e.g. Angel Choir. However, when I the select this voice I get the error message 'File not found, or name is inappropriate'. I get this same error message for all of the 5 pages of new voices.
Similarly when I choose STYLE - USER - EXPANSION then I can see 3 pages of newly added Styles e.g. '03 Organ Play 3'. However, when I select one of these new Styles I am taken straight back to the STYLE - PRESET - POP screen and no Style change is applied to the instrument.
Is this another 'novice' error - can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong please.

Offline zionip

Re: YEM Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 10:13:55 AM »
Hi Rumney,

Have you tried creating the "Genos_PackInstallData.ppi" file on your USB flash drive, then insert the USB flash drive to the top/front USB port on your Genos, push Menu - Expansion - Pack Installation to install the "Church & Christmas" pack?

I have no problems installing more than 20 packs through USB flash drive on Genos.  You can install your expansion pack this way just to see if it fixes your problem of pack installation through WiFi.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Bill

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 11:00:13 AM »
I would double check to see if the keyboard has been updated to the latest version of the operating System, (Ver 1.3) it does not always come with the latest version installed.

Bill

England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Rumney

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 12:50:10 PM »
Bill - I have checked and I am on version 1.3

Paul - I have copied the pack to my USB - it is named 'Genos_PackInstallData.CPI' not 'Genos_PackInstallData.PPI'. When I follow your instructions it asks me if I am sure the I want to proceed as I will loose any unsaved work. Shall I continue??

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 03:01:51 PM »
You need to make sure you have imported your instrument info into you YEM. To do this put a USB stick into keyboard and Export the file on to it. Now bring up the YEM on your computer and import file into programme.
   Now import your Church and Christmas pack into it. Now you can create a pack from YEM to USB and import it into your keyboard and it will work for you.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 03:31:41 PM »
Bill - I have checked and I am on version 1.3

Paul - I have copied the pack to my USB - it is named 'Genos_PackInstallData.CPI' not 'Genos_PackInstallData.PPI'. When I follow your instructions it asks me if I am sure the I want to proceed as I will loose any unsaved work. Shall I continue??

The problem that you originally reported is not normal, and not a 'novice' error. It sounds like something went wrong during the installation and so I agree that installing via USB is the best bet.

Don't worry about "CPI" v "PPI" - it's called a "CPI" file because it's a 'protected' file linked to your specific keyboard via your Yamaha account. This is just a copyright protection scheme.

The key thing about loading YEM expansion files via USB is that it will completely replace whatever is currently loaded into your keyboard's expansion memory. So you need to select *all* the packs you want in YEM, and create a single CPI file to install. This is also why I think it should fix your problem, it will completely reformat the flash memory and be a 'clean' install.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 03:35:05 PM by DerekA »
Genos

Offline zionip

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 04:05:06 PM »

Hi Rumney,

What DerekA said is correct.

Usually if you do not have third party expansion packs, but just Yamaha expansion packs (usually come in .ppf file format), the created pack installation file is named "Genos_PackInstallData.ppi".  If you have any third party expansion packs (usually come in .cpf file format) imported to your YEM, the resulting pack installation file is name "Genos_PackInstallData.cpi".  Usually .ppi files can be installed on multiple compatible Yamaha arranger keyboards, whereas most .cpi files can only be installed on the licensed Yamaha arranger keyboard(s), and some .cpi files can be installed on the Yamaha arranger keyboards with their corresponding instrumentinfo.n27 file(s) imported into YEM.

You should import all your expansion packs into YEM, and check all packs that you want to install on your Genos, then create the "Genos_PackInstallData.cpi" pack installation file on your USB flash drive.

When installing "Genos_PackInstallData.cpi" file on your Genos, your Genos will always remind you that it will reformat the Expansion flash, which means that all the data on the Expansion will be wiped / gone.  This is Yamaha's method of making sure all the packs will be installed and written to the Expansion flash area contiguously without any wasted space.  This will not wipe any other files or settings of your Genos, so it is safe to proceed.

Thanks,
Paul

Mike2

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 07:42:42 PM »
Here's a dumb question...where do you get this free on registration MusicSoft Expansion Pack (Church & Christmas).

Rumney

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 08:04:00 PM »
Thanks all - I understand and am grateful for all your advice regarding the USB and YEM export methods. However, I thought that I would trust the process and so I retried the WiFi route and it worked. Now have full access the contents of Church & Christmas on my Genos. Murphy’s law I guess!!

Mike 2 - Not a dumb question (I’m the king of them) :)
When I registered my new Genos With Yamaha Europe they sent me a code via email that enabled me to download, free of charge, one of a selection of expansion packs - I chose Church & Christmas. This offer is only available via Yamaha Europe to European and UK residents registering a new Genos or PSR-S.

Link below:
https://europe.yamaha.com/en/news_events/2018/free-expansion-pack-offer.html

Thanks again all for your advice.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 08:27:34 PM by Rumney »

Mike2

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 08:39:37 PM »
Ok thanks

Offline valimaties

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 09:00:36 PM »
I have sent all my 1.8 GB of content through wireless without any problem. Something happened to your transmission, I think. I don't remember when I have installed a pack in my Genos via USB , I think last year ;D I use only wireless, and I don't have any problem with my content.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Rumney

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 07:52:48 AM »
Vali - you are right. Just to prove the point I successfully resent the Expansion Pack via WiFi again and it worked again.

I think my initial problem was that YEM on my computer told me that the Genos needed to be restarted following the transfer. So, once the transfer was complete I reached over to power down the Genos using the hard on/off switch. As I did so, out of the corner of my eye I saw that the Genos main screen was displaying a soft ‘off’ button - by which time I hade already pressed the main on/off switch to power down the instrument. This is the expansion pack installation that failed.

I later repeated the whole process but this time, once the expansion pack transfer had completed (it only took a few seconds) I used the soft ‘off’ button on the main screen not the hard on/off switch. The Genos powered down and when I restarted it using the main on/off switch I found that the expansion pack transfer had succeeded.

My fault - I should have slowed down, read the screen and simply followed the process.

I agree that WiFi is very well utilised by the Genos and very easy to use - so long as you read the main screen and follow the process :-[
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 08:04:38 AM by Rumney »

Offline pjd

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 04:04:56 PM »
As I did so, out of the corner of my eye I saw that the Genos main screen was displaying a soft ‘off’ button - by which time I had already pressed the main on/off switch to power down the instrument. This is the expansion pack installation that failed.

Thank you for mentioning this. It's one of those features which somehow never make it into the Owner's or Reference Manual.

Genos is running a full bore operating system (Linux) underneath everything. It makes sense that shutdown and restart in this case might be needed in order to synchronize/coordinate all of the "moving parts" underneath. We'll have to keep our eyes peeled for other situations like this.

Thanks, again -- pj