Author Topic: Audio link synchronization with style  (Read 5490 times)

Ullo

Audio link synchronization with style
« on: October 14, 2018, 04:30:41 PM »
Good evening to everyone. I hope not to disturb anyone. As mentioned in other posts I'm trying to learn how to use Genos. I got a good point but now I have another problem that I can not solve. I created a Multipad Audio with a sampling frequency of 44.1 kHz, 16-bit resolution. I connected it but obviously the audio bpm are different from the style time. Is there a way to synchronize them? Thank you

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: Audio link synchronization with style
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 11:54:10 PM »
Hi Ullo,

I don't find you at all 'disturbing'!  :)

All MIDI files, whatever their type (styles, MIDI songs, etc), use a precision timing 'clock' generated in real time by the keyboard or some other external source to control their tempo.  If you vary the tempo of the 'clock' as a MIDI file is playing, it will track the change.

Audio files on the other hand do not use a real time timing clock signal to control their playback, and unless you use some real time tricks (such as the 'Time Stretch' function available on recent PSRs, Tyros5 and Genos for example), they will always play at the tempo that they were recorded at.

Unfortunately there is currently no way to synchronise audio files with the MIDI clock on Yamaha arranger keyboards, so the best that you can do is to set the tempo of the MIDI to the same as the audio and start them as closely as possible together.

The real time tricks mentioned above are not available to Audio Link multi pads, although you can synchronise the start of these MPs with a style.  So if you want to play an audio link MP file at a different tempo to it's original, you need to decide in advance what tempo you want to use, and then use an audio DAW or similar to change the tempo of the file without altering it's pitch.

Even then, the audio and MIDI timings are likely to drift apart after a while, even if they are started at the same time.  This may not be noticeable on a short 'single shot' audio MP lasting only a few measures, but is likely to cause problems on a long MP such as an isolated vocal 'acapella' for example.   In such cases it may be possible to 'reset' the MIDI part way through the song without too much of a noticeable 'glitch' to bring it back more closely into time with the MP.

All that you can do is to try your audio MP and see how you get on. 

Regards

Ian

Seagull29

Re: Audio link synchronization with style
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 02:31:18 PM »
Hi,
the best way is to adapt the tempo of your audio file with tempo of your style You can use DAW as Reaper, for example, or other to make it . And you create a new pad audio link after. Your Pad will be sync with the style.