Author Topic: Music Stand Illumination  (Read 10587 times)

Offline Doghouse Riley

Music Stand Illumination
« on: October 12, 2018, 11:37:29 AM »
We've a lot of lighting in our house.
We don't use any centre ceiling lights, only wall uplighters or table lamps with dark shades.

This  I  believe is a "woman's thing."

Sometimes I think I'm burning a  lot of electricity, but I'm "practically groping around in the dark."

We have four of these nice ceramic uplighters in "my den"  (our front room).
Two are over my Tyros, but I  was finding it increasingly difficult to read the music on the stand.
It was no problem with my old PSR1000 as the music was nearer.

This is a daytime photo, it's really darker than my "clever"camera makes it appear.

Now I'm sure many have sophisticated illumination solutions. But I  wanted a cheap and effective method of my own.

So  bought one of these on eBay. It has two levels of illumination, runs on three AA rechargeable batteries and comes with a plug/charger and a USB lead. It has 24 hours battery life on the high setting.

Clipping it to the top of the music stand wasn't really practical. But "where there's a will, there's a way."

I fixed a stainless steel rod  I had in the garage, remnants of an old floor lamp to the underside of the two bars of the cheap stand that supports the piano, using  a few turns  of insulating tape. A five minute job.... I've dragged it forward to demonstate. I  pushed the piano further back when I'd finshed.

The lamp is clipped to the  bar and the flexible arm passes under the stand and is behind the lift up piano screen.

You can pull the lamp towards you  to gve a wider spread, but I don't find that necssary.

Then push it back so  the screen can be lowered without fouling the lamp. I'm fine  with it in this position.

Job accomplished for a few pounds.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 07:23:30 PM by Doghouse Riley »
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners! I don't like 'em myself, they're pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings." (Philip Marlowe)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline Toril S

Re: Music Stand Illumination
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 12:14:40 PM »
Fantastic! Creatuve you!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: Doghouse Riley

Offline voodoo

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 12:59:19 PM »
Wow. Very clever idea. Why isn't there a ready solution for illumination from the bottom?

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

The following users thanked this post: Doghouse Riley

Offline Doghouse Riley

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 01:36:56 PM »
You'd think Yamaha would have addressed this problem.

Maybe they will in the future.

The music stand isn't very tall. It's only just slightly taller than half of an A4 sheet of MS paper. It wasn't practical to clip the light to  the top, it would have been rubbing against the wall.

I'd worked out what I wanted to do with the lamp and took a chance on ordering it.

It really does look as if it was an "optional extra."

Although the USB lead is rather short, it won't reach the wall sockets. So I've ordered an extension. But that was only £1.49, post free.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 10:51:36 AM by Doghouse Riley »
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners! I don't like 'em myself, they're pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings." (Philip Marlowe)

Offline terryB

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 04:26:47 PM »
Hi Is it possible that the light could be powered from the USB socket on the back of the Tyros ?

Cheers
Terry

Offline Doghouse Riley

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 04:47:27 PM »
Hi Is it possible that the light could be powered from the USB socket on the back of the Tyros ?

Cheers
Terry

Yes you're correct Terry, there is one, (35) which the manual says is for connection to a flash memory or USB wireless LAN adapter. I'm not sure if it could be used to power the lamp. So for £1.49 I wasn't going to bother, in case I ever needed it for the purpose for which it was provided.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 11:31:48 PM by Doghouse Riley »

Offline Doghouse Riley

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 11:37:33 PM »
There's "added value" with my music stand light. I've now  plugged the adaptor/charger  and the sub-woofer into the  same socket. The piano shares another wiith my reading lamp.
Before I did this,  many's the time  I've walked away from the keyboard to do something else and like a lot of stuff these days it powers down after a while.
I can then come back into the room and not remember that although the piano is off,  the sub-woofer is still switched on  as they previously shared the same socket. But now I   notice "the little green" light on the charger, which reminds me to turn them both off.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 11:41:45 PM by Doghouse Riley »