Author Topic: New thoughts on the Genos and Tyros 5  (Read 5145 times)

Offline ugawoga

New thoughts on the Genos and Tyros 5
« on: October 05, 2018, 07:34:46 PM »
Hi

I do not know what you think but my best songs were done on the Tyros 5.
I have had a few drinks tonight and put a couple of the older songs on the hi fi and they sound very warm  and clear .
I made the songs without any fiddling with eq and whatnots and just put a limiter on them to raise the volumes to 3db and that was It on most occasions.
With the Genos you cannot do that so easily because It needs a little more manipulation.
Does anyone agree with me???

The Genos has more capability,but you have to dig a little deeper. If you are not careful with the Genos songs can be muddy and boomy.
Does anyone agree with me as it is only my observation.

All the Best
John :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

beykock

Re: New thoughts on the Genos and Tyros 5
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 08:09:20 PM »
Hi John,

I am sure following question is not easy to answer but ...
do your words mean you would like to go back to the T5  ?

Babette

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 08:22:00 PM »
well,

have you tried the Genos recordings with a few drinks too ?

otherwise it seems an unfair comparison. !!!

Greetings.

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 09:14:30 PM »
John, I think the T5 definitely has a more laid back sound. The redesigned sound processor on the Genos is more conducive to EDM and other thumpy sounding tunes. It's easier to tone back the Genos for background and easy listening than it is to get the broad dynamic sounds out of the T5 that are required for EDM.

I've done a few albums with the T4 and other than playing with the bass and treble a bit, there wasn't much to it. With Genos, you have a pro-level machine that needs to be tamed in a lot of ways.

Just my thoughts. Alcohol certainly makes me sound better :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 09:32:58 PM »
Hi
I think Lee has hit the nail on the head.
Do not get me wrong the Genos is a mighty beast and more advanced than the Tyros
The Genos has to be tamed and you have to tone back a lot  especially the bass and kick drum areas.
I am just starting mixing or attempting to mix my latest effort and things are becoming more clearer.
I think that the Tyros was easier to handle to get quick results.
The sounds on the Genos are much more sharper and when making a song you have to more carefull where things sit.
Lee is dead right In saying the Genos is more like a pro machine and a few drinks especially on a Friday night is good for the soul.
I am over the moon with the Genos, but I was only trying express a constructive criticism or something like that.
It is in a way saying  the Tyros sounds more analogy and the Genos more digital sounding. It maybe just me and my ears!! ::) :)
This is due to what they put inside these machines which the tech guys could explain better.
I go by my feelings and others may know where i am coming from.
Maybe i am going nuts!!! UGGH!! Pass me another wine!! ;D
Just trying to share my experiences with you as I would like to hear yours and we all learn that way.

This Is what I acheived on the Tyros 5 for example, but I have to work harder to get the same type of mix on the Genos
all the best      https://soundcloud.com/silver-machine/on-the-beach
john :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 10:00:34 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 10:02:19 PM »
Nice production John!

The T5 was also really easy to tame in a live gig setting. The Genos is different and must be closely monitored so that it doesn't over power the "the star" better known as "the singer." What I find particularly difficult to handle on the Genos is the Mega voice bass tracks. They are solid and punchy even in the nice easy going styles. I have never liked Mega voice technology for the bass track - not even on Genos. I often replace them with SA voices of a more warm vintage sound. Problem is the velocities are all screwed up so you end up re-recording them. It seems Yamaha thinks we need to play lounge music with a hard bass sound. I have yet to hear a decent Mega voice bass track that is mellow. They are there but very rare.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 10:19:19 PM »
Hi Lee
My other half Sandra has always been my best critic and she has said often drums or bass too loud.
Over time I have tamed it all down and seen the light .
This is our fault Lee in liking more detailed music instead of ram bang EDM that is in yer face!! :o
I do not care what anyone says but music up to the year 2000 was great and after that a big steep decline in muscality.
Well, the latest of music that I like has to be the Ozric Tentacles which is well jammed music and production . Just about under the year 2000
I also a great lover of prog rock, and Tony Joe white, even Nick drake.
Electronic type 70s rock Fountains of light by Starcastle is another great production for It's time ( a little like YES) and also Robin Trower for blues rock
On the USA side It has got to be Boston,Chicago, Bozz Scaggs,Beach Boys etc
Get me a time Machine and I will be off Back to the Future!!  Johnny B good!!  "WHAT'S UP DOC"     Biffo " HASTA LA BYE BYE"!!! ;D

Another thing Lee, Mega voice Bass.That is probably why i am having fun with it and kick drums. Lots of grunge and thump clashing.
I was thinking between that sort of bass and modern kick, sidechain it and also give them some space in the 80 to 110 khz range where they sit.
I am gradually getting it. Bungling my way through. I am reading and watching videos to understand the mix techniques.
Only If mixing was easy as playing :P!!
All the best
john :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 10:54:14 PM by ugawoga »

gerarde

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 10:56:18 PM »
Hi John,
First, I would like to start out by talking about songs that are released to the world.
Since the late sixties the balance of the instruments in a band have pretty much been the same way.
Listen to any released song on youtube.
In almost all of them, the balance is that the drums and the bass are in the forefront over all the other instruments.
An example of that, you can hear in the link below for the Eagles song "Lyin' Eyes".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMpns2J3JYo
All the bands I have played in, and there were many, we always had that balance with the drums and bass in the forefront.

With that said, until I bought a Genos, on the Tyros 4 and Tyros 5-76 and PSRS970, I had to change the default balance on the styles to get that same effect as a live recording.
I think Yamaha had a more laid back idea as to what the balance should be for the bass and drums until the Genos.
Personally, I am elated that Yamaha has finally got a closer sound to what you would hear from a released recording.

Possibly, you are very used to the sound that you had with the Tyros and like that very much.
So now you have to tune the Genos so to speak to go back to the Tyros balance as I had to tune the Tyros to get more bass and drums in the forefront.
And lastly, we each have our own ears, that hear things the way we would like them.

Regards,
Gerard

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 11:42:34 PM »
Hi Gerard

I love the Eagles music, but to my ears they have a very balanced warm sound.
I was amazed at Episode 6-- Walk Me Out In the Morning Dew single done In the 60s featuring Ian Gillan who Is from Deep Purple. What a fantastic mix for that time. It would put some modern mixes to shame.
With what I am doing at the moment is an uptempo version of Jean Michel Jarre  Oxygene 8 and i have finished the song.
When I play that on the hi-fi the bass is very strong resonating outward and If you stand away from the sound It has boomy thumps. It is hard to explain.
I find that a bit muddy. When I put something on like the remixes of Kraftwerks famous songs the bass and kick have the same power but stays at the speakers and sounds more defined.
It maybe my room that I play In is the culprit as i could not get It right. My Focal Alphas are out of this world and shows great detail.
They say in videos that If the room acoustic are not right you will get mud. I have invested in some Good headphones and Sonarworks Reference 4 headphone correction software and I hear a big difference already in the way you hear sound. Later i will upgrade to the monitor software when happy.
It is all a big learn curve.

All the Best
So for the time being i will experiment till I get the basics of drum and bass right, then add to that.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 11:43:55 PM by ugawoga »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 12:24:00 AM »
A lot of us are now posting songs on forums played and recorded on Genos and everyone is commenting on how good the sound is. They hear a difference straight away and say how much clearer the sounds and styles are. I personally find the base on Genos is much better balanced than it was on my Tyros and a lot clearer.
I really enjoy playing it. I also accompany singers from time to time and they love the sound to.

beykock

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 09:00:43 AM »
Hi,

Yamaha ended the worlwide successful Tyros serie in 2017 and launched a brand new highend arranger kb called " Genos ".

Yamaha did the same in 2002 when they launched the Tyros after they stopped the production of the PSR 9000 ( Pro ).

In the near future we might expect a Genos2, 3 etc. ... who knows ? Time will tell.

The Tyros " war einmal " but ... never shoot a winning horse.
Tyros4 & Tyros5 were ( and still are ) great machines.😉

Both arranger keyboards ( Tyros and Genos ) are completely different arrangers and not so easy to compare, IMHO.

Genos has a different sound, a non tiltable touch screen and some additional synth features, I guess.

Babette
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 09:28:17 AM by beykock »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 09:13:37 PM »
Hi Eileen
I am working on It!!!

All the best